The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2017, 01:15 PM   #51
daddyjeep

Re: HG's Bigass Farm Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post

Either my welding skills have seriously deteriorated or I am dealing with dirty materials. It kept popping and blowing holes. I know the old stuff has a bit of surface rust but I think my welding wire also has some surface rust on it. Makes for a lot harder job than it should be. I think I'm going to change the roll of wire and see if that helps.
Welding that thin stuff can be a challenge. I have definitely seen worse than what you have there.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:01 PM   #52
El Dorado Jim

wow, you are a workaholic, I can't believe all that you get done! I like the new farm,you should post pics of the farm, house and outbuildings...where are you in Minnesota?,I helped a friend move back there about two years ago, she is from there, moved out to Ca when she was 18 or 19, and 30 years later moved back to be with her family...I drove a uhaul truck with all her stuff,sher drove her car,she bought a house in Ironton, we drove around Mille Lacs lake, she gave us a tour of the area, went to Brainerd,her parents are great people, her dad is retired and is involved in a snowmobile club, he took me to their shop,pretty cool! I learned about the fish houses everyone has for Mille Lacs, it was a cool trip! my wife and I rode the Am Trac train home....
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:28 AM   #53
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep View Post
Welding that thin stuff can be a challenge. I have definitely seen worse than what you have there.
I've done better, but thanks for the positive review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dorado Jim View Post
wow, you are a workaholic, I can't believe all that you get done! I like the new farm,you should post pics of the farm, house and outbuildings...where are you in Minnesota?,I helped a friend move back there about two years ago, she is from there, moved out to Ca when she was 18 or 19, and 30 years later moved back to be with her family...I drove a uhaul truck with all her stuff,sher drove her car,she bought a house in Ironton, we drove around Mille Lacs lake, she gave us a tour of the area, went to Brainerd,her parents are great people, her dad is retired and is involved in a snowmobile club, he took me to their shop,pretty cool! I learned about the fish houses everyone has for Mille Lacs, it was a cool trip! my wife and I rode the Am Trac train home....
I'm in southern MN. The deep tropical southern savannah.

The farm is a work in progress. I'll probably post some before and after shots in my miscellaneous pic thread at some point. Ironton is close to a great place to scuba dive. The Crosby-Ironton mine pits. I grew up about 35 miles south of Brainerd. Glad you enjoyed the trip to the great white north.

No progress to report. Not as much of a workaholic as I've been accused of.

I did write a big check this morning to pay for my harness and ECU. And my Summit Racing order should be delivered today. All I managed to do last night was do some cleaning in the 3 car garage. Was getting unmanageable.

One huge project was completed yesterday though. The contractor finished my roof and soffit. The ladders and scaffolding is down. Even though my part of that job was just paying the bill, it's still a huge weight lifted. So now I just need to replace 4 entry doors, build a porch, get all the trim work done and put up about 30 squares of siding. I'm giving myself until next fall to get it done. Shouldn't be a problem.

But tonight I'll be working on this project.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:57 AM   #54
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

A bunch of parts got delivered yesterday, including this...

We finished bolting down all the mounts, installed the exhaust manifolds and the down pipes with the O2 sensors and I got the AC pump mounted.

It's kind of an odd set up because you have to remove the tensioner and the bracket is slotted like an old style bracket to adjust the tension. I emailed ICT billet to make sure I wasn't missing something and they replied that's how it's supposed to work.

I bought a pair of 45* exhaust elbows and it looks like they will work good. The passenger side just needs about a half foot more tubing and some clamps.

The driver side will need the pipes trimmed back but I don't think lining them up will be a problem. They're practically attached already...

I'm going to pick up some EFI gas hose today. Should be able to get the fuel system hooked up and the tank installed today or tomorrow. I need to get a few things for the transmission, like a dust cover for under the torque converter, and connection fittings for the cooler lines. We are going to have to get the radiator support mounted up pretty soon.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:05 AM   #55
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I didn't get to work on the truck last night. Instead I got to replace the freezer in the garage. Luckily, I wanted some chocolate ice cream the night before last and noticed it was soft and checked the temp and found out it wasn't running before we lost everything. Also it's the freezer in the garage and it's winter so it was a very slow thaw.

Anyway, I did pick up a few things yesterday for this project so I can keep making progress. Check out this sweet grill I got at the junkyard...

It's from a 73-74 I think so I need to find the correct brackets to mount it on my 79. If someone has those available, PM me.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:25 AM   #56
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Didn't get time to work on the truck last week because I was out of state for work. So Saturday was my only day and I got a few things done. While I was gone some more parts were delivered. The serpentine belt came and it was the one recommended by the mfr, but dang that thing was tight. The AC pump was adjusted to as short as it would go and I had to use a couple screwdrivers to get it around the last pulley then roll the engine over to get it fully on. But it is on.

I got the fuel lines connected on the tank end and got the tank installed. Not a fun job by yourself. All thats left on the fuel system is to finish the lines from about the transmission crossmember and back to the ends connected to the tank, then get them mounted to the frame so they aren't bouncing around.

While I was under there I noticed the mufflers didn't look right. All out of shape. Here's the view from behind. I'm guessing this happened when the 454 died because it was never a loud running truck.

So I'll be ordering up some mufflers.

Check out the spare. I think there is a possibility this is the original, but maybe not. Was that a style of tread GM would have installed?

I'm inching closer to the day I can fire it up.

To do list:
Finish fuel lines
wire fuel pump
connect exhaust
tranny cooler lines
tranny dust cover (not required for running)
radiator support and radiator
Wires to starter
spark plug wires and coils
install harness and ECU
water hoses
block EGR hole
steam vent tubing
othercrapIcantremember

Oh, I also worked on the inner rocker patch fit up. Just need to reshape it where it meets the floor for a tight fit and it'll be ready to attach permanently.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:33 AM   #57
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Didn't do much yesterday but did manage to get the radiator support brought inside and set in place. It's not bolted down yet. I need to get some rubber mounts for it and bolts, but hey, another baby step forward.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:40 AM   #58
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

The radiator support is bolted down. Not without some trouble though. The bolts that came with the new rubber mounts are a bit on the short side. Had to rearrange the pieces so I could remove one of the washers just to get the nuts started. Then after tightening them down all the way to where the metal bushing is tight to the nuts the end of the bolt still doesn't make it all the way through the nuts. Another 1/4" longer on the bolts would have been nice, which is odd because the new bolts were about 1/4" longer than the original. The rubbers must be thicker.

Also having some trouble with the bolts through the back of the inner fenders. I'll have to run a tap through them.

I got the water hoses installed though. Just need to figure out the one from the bottom of the throttle body.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:00 PM   #59
MikeB

Quote:
I bought the Lokar one, same as what I have on my 71 C-10. It was rubbing on a pinch weld on the firewall. First I used a flapper disc on my angle grinder to cut that back. And I put a slight bend in the shifter rod. And I also found a longer bolt for where it mounts to the column and used a nut as a spacer. Just an extra 1/4" helped a lot
Just FYI, you can buy rod ends that have a greater "MISALIGNMENT ANGLE" than the ones that come with the Lokar kit. I've used these in the past.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fkb-cf5y
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:49 PM   #60
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Just FYI, you can buy rod ends that have a greater "MISALIGNMENT ANGLE" than the ones that come with the Lokar kit. I've used these in the past.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fkb-cf5y
Good to know. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:35 AM   #61
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Yesterday went ok. Simple tasks made harder by finicky bolts, etc, but progress made. I removed the old AC condenser because it was set up for a driver side AC compressor. I have a passenger side one from the 90 burb parts truck.

I need to cut a hole for the tubes to go through on that side.

The radiator was very loose in the support. Found out one of the rubber mounts underneath it was missing and the other one was in bad shape. I found a couple rubber mounts from an old set in my parts locker that worked. Once I got those in and tightened the bolts for the hold down plate on top it clamped it in there good.

Then I ran a tap through the nuts on the firewall for the rear end of the inner fenders. Couldn't get a bolt in otherwise. So they got mounted properly. We got the driver side fender on with just a couple bolts so the radiator support would be in the correct position. I wanted to see how the original fan shroud would fit. Should work fine.

I read about this electric fan set up several years ago. I bought a ford taurus fan from the junkyard back then to use on my jimmy but never installed it. I think it will work great on this project.

It's a little smaller than the fan opening. Two of the mounting tabs will work good by just drilling a hole in the shroud and using a couple bolts. The 3rd tab will work once I make a small metal bracket.

We reinstalled the coil packs and put on the new plug wires...

After a dinner break I went back out and got the fuel lines run from the tank forward. The filter is installed and all that's left is to clamp the lines down to the frame.

We are inching closer to light off.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:43 PM   #62
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Very nice! That has to feel a little better getting so close to starting it.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:33 AM   #63
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

test post, not working well with google pictures.

Progress pics will get posted in the morning.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 03-17-2017 at 12:56 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:51 AM   #64
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
I have 6 trucks.
one can never have too many trucks
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:21 AM   #65
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

I just found this thread Mike. Subscribed and watching. You have been a very busy guy...lol

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:51 AM   #66
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Very nice! That has to feel a little better getting so close to starting it.
Thanks, it's getting there. I can't wait to here it run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
one can never have too many trucks
Weeeelllllllll, maybe you can.

I sold one.

Besides the trucks I have a 47 Olds, 83 Datsun 280zx, 2000 Jeep cherokee, my company car, my wifes 90 mustang convertible and 2010 cadillac and a couple old Kawasaki motorcycles. And of course the future delivery of the cobra kit car. I'm very proud to say just over half of them are driveable!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
I just found this thread Mike. Subscribed and watching. You have been a very busy guy...lol
I have. I'm never bored. You know those guys that keep working forever because they don't have other things to do? I'm not one of them.

Yesterday I went back out to the junkyard to see how the AC condenser is normally mounted. The radiator support on the newer trucks with this style condenser are completely different, so I'm going to have to make it work my own way. I did get the factory mounts off one of those trucks and snagged a cold air (sort of) air intake part too, and another one of the AC hoses I'll need.

I'm still having problems with photobucket. I'll finish this later.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:20 PM   #67
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

This is how the AC condenser is mounted in the later style squares...

In front of the radiator but on the back side of the support, with some nifty little mount brackets.

I cut a hole for the tube ends to go through and notched a section of the support to allow the condenser to sit tight to the support.

You can see one of the mounts sitting there. I'm going to make some kind of bracket piece for the lower mounts, then I just need to drill a hole for the bolts that hold the upper mounts in place.

Shop cat...

That's Wallace. Wallace is a girl. We know that because she had a litter of kittens just before we bought this place (she came with the house). I don't think the person that named her knew it was a girl cat. We don't really care and I doubt Wallace has a problem with it either.

The later squares had this air intake mounted to the radiator support.

There was actually a knock out plate in that spot on my 79, so I knocked it out. I just needed to round the hole out a bit with a die grinder on one side to make it fit (was oval) and cut a slot below it for the lower mound tab.

As for the AC hoses, the lower one from the condenser to the evaporator I got at the junkyard seems to fit ok. I have a couple options for the other set. One is to have a shop make a hose for me that fits my set up. Two is to get lucky at the junkyard and find the right combination of hose style/length/tube ends that works. Three is doing a little plumbing work using the metal tube end pieces and get the right fitting on the hose that should fit. I'll try option 3 and if that doesn't work go back to option 2 or 3.

It's supposed to warm up the next few days. Less propane will get burned to keep me comfortable. World of Wheels car show in Minneapolis tomorrow. Hopefully I'll find some cool inspiring cars and ideas there.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:45 PM   #68
Bomp

You Sir are an animal.
Found this thread. Didn't realize you had started building another truck. Cool Man, Cool.
Read through it, Sorry to hear about the broken bones awhile back, Congrats on the new place and bride.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:43 PM   #69
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
You Sir are an animal.
Found this thread. Didn't realize you had started building another truck. Cool Man, Cool.
Read through it, Sorry to hear about the broken bones awhile back, Congrats on the new place and bride.
An animal? Well, I can't argue that, otherwise I'd be mineral or vegetable. I'm also building a new 350 to drop into my 71. But that's a pretty easy job there. Thanks for the empathy for my shoulder. It aches enough now on the cold damp days to thank you itself out loud. If you ever get anywhere near your childhood home you HAVE to stop in. I can use all the help I can get.

We just got home from a trip to the new Vikings stadium where the World of Wheels show was held. Cool cars, many of them I've seen at the local shows already but there were some I'd seen pics of online and some new stuff. Lots of good stuff for inspiration and ideas. I also got to meet Gene Winfield. Got the autographed poster (for a small fee).

Yesterday I got the AC condenser mounted. I just cut a couple sheetmetal pieces to make some brackets for the lower mounts. I had to tack weld the one on the passenger side for a little strength.

And I got the tranny cooler lines connected. I'll add an external cooler another time. I don't really care for the ones I got laying around here now. I know what I want, just need to stop back at the junkyard to grab one.

Maintaining progress and whittling that list down...
Old 03-18-2017, 11:58 PM   #70
Jstock85

Man you got yourself one cool project there! If you don't mind share the details when you get that fuel system complete (with pics also please). Im putting a 4.8 into an 85 and will be crossing that bridge soon! Thanks.
Jstock85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:20 AM   #71
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstock85 View Post
Man you got yourself one cool project there! If you don't mind share the details when you get that fuel system complete (with pics also please). Im putting a 4.8 into an 85 and will be crossing that bridge soon! Thanks.
Thanks, it's a pretty simple set up really. Universal in tank pump in a stock 1987 fuel tank. I used rubber EFI hose from Napa and aluminum tubing from summit racing and a universal 3/8" inline fuel filter. Most of that is pictured already. I used the donor truck fuel lines on the engine end, they plug into the lines on the back of the fuel rail. I used the return line system with the installed fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail.

Just ran the lines along the frame rail

Many, if not most, will use the corvette style inline fuel filter with the built in pressure regulator. The advantage is that you only need a return line from that point back to the tank. The fuel supply line is 3/8" and the return line is 5/16".

It's been awhile since I really got anything done on this. Been working on other things or been on the road away from home. This weekend I managed to get the exhaust done and started setting up the harness and ECU. We were wiring up the starter to see if that was going to work but found out the starter solenoid was shot. It would pop out once in a while but not kick the starter motor on. Had it tested at Napa to make sure it wasn't a wiring issue. So that is going to get fixed this week hopefully or I'll have to order a replacement.

My redneck looking exhaust. It isn't pretty but it'll work. The driver side was kind of a *****. The 45 wasn't a tight enough bend. I tried to bend it tighter with limited success and it just wasn't working. I had some left over exhaust tubing from another project with mandrel bends so I used a piece of that and welded it to the pipe off the manifold. Then bought some flexible exhaust tubing from Napa to finish it.

The passenger side went together ok with the 45 and flexible tubing.

The ECU will mount to the battery tray, just like it was in the donor truck. Just had to trim the plastic a bit to get it to sit in there correctly.

The harness is sitting on the engine and hopefully my son will get that routed this week while I'm on the road.

Getting real close to firing it up. Need to get the starter in, finish installing the harness/ECU, wire the fuel pump, get a mass airflow sensor (forgot about that part until this weekend) and put some gas in it. Maybe next weekend, IF I can get the required parts by then.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:15 AM   #72
Jstock85

You mind sharing the brand with part number and such for that fuel pump?
Old 03-31-2017, 09:37 AM   #73
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstock85 View Post
You mind sharing the brand with part number and such for that fuel pump?
No problem, it was a walbro GSS342 in tank universal pump. 255 LPH high pressure. I did modify the new sending unit by removing the round base plate from the bottom of the unit that kept the pump from lining up with the outlet tube and prevented the pick up from mounting to the bottom of the pump properly. It's a universal pump so not made specifically to fit this sending unit.

The GSL392 pump is the inline version of the same pump.

On another note, I need to bring the harness back for an alteration. He made it to mount the ECU either inside the cab or on the passenger side and I'm mounting it like it was on the donor truck, near the battery on the driver side. The starter solenoid was replaced at a shop that repairs starters and alternators. He said the solenoid is the same as the ones used on a forklift but I didn't get a part number. They are available on ebay or other online retailers though. Even walmart.com had them listed for about $15.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:47 PM   #74
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

The harness maker wasn't interested in altering the harness to help me out at all but offered to let me return it. He wasn't happy about it and didn't understand why I just wouldn't mount it somewhere else. I guess I'm just obstinate. Anyway, got a refund and shopped around for a harness. Decided to get the painless wiring harness #60217, which is cheaper anyway. Summit racing has a $100 rebate on it right now. I ordered some new turbo mufflers for the truck as well, since I was already shopping.

So no start up this weekend, but soon enough. Tomorrow I go back to the junkyard to get what I need for the air intake and MAF sensor.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:52 AM   #75
Jstock85

Did you reuse the original fuel tank and Did you have to do any cutting or anything to the fuel tank?