The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
traedog

Project "long road"

Today marked a big point in my life so far... Took my first project truck down the road and back for the first time tonight.

The truck is a '72 C10 SWB that factory had the 250 I-6 and 3 speed column shift. It's been in my family for 3 generations, and adding me, that makes it 4. My great granddaddy bought the truck from a friend shortly after new and it was passed down through the generations. When my father got it, he replaced the tired I-6 with a mild 454 BB and built TH350. My 16th birthday roled around and mom didnt want her lil'boy to have that much torque and dad didn't like no air bags so it was judged that I would be forced to drive a '94 Camaro Z28 M6/LT1. In order to get funds for the camaro, the 454 had to go. This sent the truck to the back yard for an undeterminded period of time.

Now, 5 years later, I'm realizing what a gem I had sitting in the back and have decided to follow in dads footsteps and build a helluva ride. Course being a college student, this won't be a "one summer wonder." Hence the title of Project "long road." I've got BIG plans, just as many others do, but today did a lot for me. I was excited before hand, wrenching on it, listening to it run with open headers in the shop, but running it down the road for the first time tonight was AMAZING! The brakes sucked, water pump/altenater belt jumped off halfway through the 1 mile adventure, and the timing and jetting are no where NEAR close to perfect, but my gosh, it is something that will stay with me for awhile.

Annway, a quick rundown of the truck as it sits now is:

Its got a built 355 sbc out of a prostreet malibu. 12.5:1 dome tops, 640 lift full mechanical roller comp cam, DART Eagle Iron heads, Victor Jr intake, 7 quart Melidon oil pan and oil pump, forged crank, 4 bolt block, and MSD distributor. Right now has a 750 Edlebrock that was sitting on the shelf off the old BB, but there is a 750 Barry Grant double pumper that needs a kit put in it that came with the motor that may see some track time.

The truck still has the 6 cylinder springs in it so it noses up when you get on it. lol. DynoMAX Cyclone coated headers on it for now with about a foot and a half worth of pipe bolted on to quiet it down as to not attract too much attention tonight. Awaiting on a trip to the muffler shop to hook it up to some old school Thrush 2-1/4 exhaust also from the BB for now.

TCI 10" Break-A-Way II converter infront of the TH350 with shift kit running back to the stock rear with 3:73's out back. Still has the original column from the 3 speed. Just using 2nd and 3rd for the shift pattern. Kinda cool if you ask me. This also means no drive indicator so you've gotta count your clicks. Put the sliding rear glass and camaro steering wheel in earlier in its years and also late model (1990's) 60/40 split seats in also. Had power steering and power brakes put on from a cheyanne of the same year.

Really thats about it for now. May need to put a vacuum pump on it to help out with the power brakes though at some point. Eventually want to paint it the stock medium blue that it was, mild drop, billet grll, crome bumpers front and back, steel cowl hood, eletric cutouts, relocated gas tank, new wheels and tires'n such, but there again, I'm aimming for the long haul with this one. Calling about insurance, new rubber, and bending exhaust tomorrow and that's all I need to get my goal for this summer accomplished; getting it back on the road (legally). Got the tags monday =D

Sorry for the long story, but you know how it is! Remember back to your first test drive. You got excited! Thats what I'm going through tonight. Thanks for all the support.

P.s. I spent the last three days looking through the 67-72 build pics and I've got to say, it was time well spent! =)
Attached Images

traedog is offline   Reply With Quote