The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2020, 11:39 AM   #1
b454rat

Vortec help

I posted this on a couple other sites but didn't get any responses. I have a 96 Yukon that Im trying to get going. When I bought it needed a motor/tranny. I put in a set with 138k IIRC, and motor ran beautiful. I needed to do some other stuff so didn't get a good chance to see how the tranny worked, but it shifted lol, so far so good. But it would idle a lot, now an then when working on it I would rev it up lil bit, and it would always have excellent response. Maybe it had something to do with the whipple, dunno. But anyways, last time I rev'd it, it hesitated, and didn't really want to rev. Next day I tried to start it, and wouldn't start. I though at first was the pump, cause I would spray starting fluid and would sputter. So no big deal needs a fuel pump. I took it to a garage so they could fix that, along with some other stuff that I couldn't do. They said the pump was fine, got 60 PSI or something. I guess the injectors aren't firing. I don't know if its the injectors themselves, bad ground, bad ECM, what. I want/need to get this fixed, but I'm at a loss at what it could be.
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 05:47 PM   #2
Tom
driving is in my blood

Re: Vortec help

What are you looking for exactly? You already know the injectors aren't firing, so start tracing the signal. Or have the shop that was already working on it diag it for you?
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:17 PM   #3
b454rat

Just trying to get Ideas WHY they aren’t firing. Not sure what kinda of diagnostic equipment they have, just trying to help him so I can get it back. Other site mentioned distributor module, which I have heard of before.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:16 PM   #4
speedygonzales

Your making big assumptions that may be wrong More likely ignition

First of all, don't assume since you sprayed highly volatile starting fluid in it and it stumbled, it's a fuel issue. If you are giving it something easier to fire like starting fluid and it has an ignition issue, you can easily get a stumble.

There is a large cap connector over your injectors that could have come loose but not likely. My lock on it has been broke for years and it hasn't popped up. I highly doubt you suddenly got a "bad" or broke connection on all the injectors as that would mean there were 16 broken connections. With the exception of the top connector on the intake manifold.

We always squirted fuel in the intake and had it running before we concluded it had an injector issue, not just a stumble. Second if you had something that was lost like a signal from the distributor, you would know it from the DTC's. Assuming you haven't messed with the PCM.

I'm a little concerned with the word you threw in your first comment of "wipple". Is that as in supercharger?

You may simply have an issue with your cap and rotor. I've had a few times that one day it ran fine and the very next day it would not start. It turned out to be the cap and rotor. After my distributor vents were clogged I would go through caps in 300 miles.

My very first time I had a cap and rotor issue effecting the starting, I explored a lot of things. Once I took out the plugs and saw 3 were black I knew it had an ignition issue and just replaced the cap and rotor. Ran fine.

Don't over think this.

Last edited by speedygonzales; 03-18-2020 at 06:24 PM.
speedygonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 07:35 PM   #5
b454rat

Garage said got it running, seems issue is with the fuse box. So maybe loose/bad connection or delay...
Old 04-07-2020, 02:45 PM   #6
b454rat

Turned out to be bad cap/rotor. Reason for the no start was when I took all the extra electric BS out, I used a fuse between connectors till I could go back n fix it properly. I guess the fuse fell out, and lights would come on, but not turn over. Like bad neutral safety switch. But fixed all the other stupid stuff, drove it for the first time really since I got over a year ago. Think I'm gonna like hearing the whipple lol