The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2018, 07:46 PM   #1
sprint_9

Re: Swap Radiators

I went cold case, mainly for two reasons. Stamped tanks and it was cheap. I worry about the cheap part because as you know you get what you pay for, but just looking at it I see no issues with it, so maybe it will be a good deal.

I found an aluminum fan shroud on ebay I hope to retro fit to my radiator and I plan on running Spal fans.

Not radiator specific but on fans. I ran into a problem with mine where I wanted a high flow Spal. I looked online and never really saw a fuse rating that it called for so I figured Id order it anyhow and go from there. I got it and it called for a 40 amp fuse. Not a big deal if you go direct to the battery but my LS harness has everything already built in, but fused to 30 amps. I want to use this part of my harness to keep things clean and orderly so I had to send that fan back and will probably end up with something a little less flow under 30 amps. Something to consider depending on how you are going to wire your fans.
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:33 AM   #2
NC_John

Re: Swap Radiators

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint_9 View Post

Not radiator specific but on fans. I ran into a problem with mine where I wanted a high flow Spal. I looked online and never really saw a fuse rating that it called for so I figured Id order it anyhow and go from there. I got it and it called for a 40 amp fuse. Not a big deal if you go direct to the battery but my LS harness has everything already built in, but fused to 30 amps. I want to use this part of my harness to keep things clean and orderly so I had to send that fan back and will probably end up with something a little less flow under 30 amps. Something to consider depending on how you are going to wire your fans.
Thanks for the heads up - why not just use the trigger in your harness for an external relay and run the fans you want (spal)? I haven't dug into my speartech harness in a while but am a bit surprised anyone would want to run the main power to the fans through the main harness. Thinking worst case, if you have a fan motor failure it could take the entire harness out with it. I suppose its fused, but still.....

I think cold case is out for me. I do want a rad made here.

Thanks!

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote