The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
baller5040

Sputters out

I am having some issues with my truck and it is making me upset....... I was driving today and on the freeway it start to sputter kinda like it had no gas but yet i had a full tank. Got off the freeway seemed alright then when i got back up to about 45 it started doing it again and then it died completely and would not start back up until i popped the clutch and it ran fine till i turned it off and then would not turn back on. All the fluid levels are full i just put a new battery and alternator in it. So i'm kinda stumped on what could be causing the problem. Anyone with any info please help.
baller5040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
McMurray76

Re: Sputters out

Just guessing here but, poor electrical connection at base of steering column?
McMurray76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #3
dccarpenter

I was having the exact same problem a few weeks ago. I had 2 problems on my truck, I'm not sure if both were causing this to happen but I discovered them in the process of trying to fix things. Mine was an '84 C30 with a 350 engine by the way. Problem #1 was a bad ignition coil and module, this fixed the starting problem . Problem #2 was a bad mechanical fuel pump and a crimped fuel hose that was restricting flow to it. Ever since I've gotten those two items replaced it has been running very well, I've had it on the highway at high speed with no problems.

The parts are both cheap and the ignition coil is a 5 minute install, fuel pump takes a bit longer but it's not too bad.
dccarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:56 PM   #4
baller5040

ok so i replaced the distributor cap and rotor and ignition coil. starts up better now. I also replace the fuel pump. So far nothing has changed the sputtering i get at 55 mph. I was thinking of changing out the spark plugs tomorrow seeing maybe they are worn or not. then i'm kinda lost on what else might be causing the problem of the sputtering.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:22 PM   #5
dccarpenter

The spark plugs are a easy change, the more likely culprit is the spark plug wires so make sure you change them as well.

Also, do you have one of the clear in-line fuel filters, if not, remove the fuel line going into your fuel pump and connect it then buy a small piece of fuel line to get the rest of the way to the pump. Then have a friend sit in the car while it is in park and rev the engine, watch the flow of fuel going into the fuel pump. This will show if you have a kinked line or a problem with fuel. Also, change the fuel filter at the base of your carb, it's a 2.99 part and easy change ; it could be clogged up enough to be causing this.
dccarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:57 AM   #6
baller5040

Ok so i am still having a hard time with my truck. Its sputters out alot now. I have changed the spark plugs and the spark plug wires. I blew out the fuel lines to make sure there is nothing blocking then. I also took the top off my carb cleaned it out with carb fluid so if anything is blocking the jets it would have cleaned it out (i hope). So now i'm down to two different things one take the carb off and rebuild it something might be stuck in the jets and wont come out second the filters in the tanks are clogged up and wont let enough pressure go through the lines. If any one could please get back to me ASAP about this it would be great.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:27 AM   #7
INSIDIOUS '86

I had a problem like this a while back it turned out that the positive wire to my starter grounded out to the exhaust cause the heat melted the covering and grounded it out so check and see if that Heaney wire is grounding out or if any power wire is grounding out
Posted via Mobile Device
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:38 AM   #8
lindstromjd
Gentleman Jim owner x2

Try taking your carb apart and making sure the float bowl is working properly. It sounds like you're starving for fuel once you really open it up and that would be a likely culprit. It doesn't take much for the float bowls to decide that they don't want to work right.

I knew a guy who had a very similar problem with his truck; it would run fine at low speeds, but once he tried to use it to pull his trailer, he couldn't get any power out of it at all. Turned out it was his (recently rebuilt) carb acting up. Sometimes even new parts go bad.
lindstromjd is offline   Reply With Quote