The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 60-66 Suburbans

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2014, 05:15 PM   #1
Ratpin

rear leaf lowering shackles floor clearance?

Has anyone with a gmc suburban or panel installed 2" lowering shackles in the rear? I want to use these but have heard some people have clearance issues on the trucks with the shackles hitting the bed floor. I wanted to find out if they will hit the floor of my 64 suburban before going through the trouble of ordering/installing them.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:43 PM   #2
Ratpin

Re: rear leaf lowering shackles floor clearance?

I talked to ece and they said it's not uncommon to have it hit. They said on the trucks you can trim a cross sill for clearance. I guess I will poke my head under my burb tomorrow because I'm not exactly sure if it has the same type of cross sills as the truck. I was told ece's drop shackle is 6.5" from bushing to bushing, so measuring should give me a better idea of if there will be a problem.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Remember, a drop shackle only gives half the amount of drop when you measure the distance between the bolt holes. Example, if your stock one is 4" between the holes and a new one is 6" between the holes, you will only net 1" drop even though there is 2" in difference between them.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
Ratpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
Remember, a drop shackle only gives half the amount of drop when you measure the distance between the bolt holes. Example, if your stock one is 4" between the holes and a new one is 6" between the holes, you will only net 1" drop even though there is 2" in difference between them.

I crawled under the burb today to take a look. At appears that at some point the drivers side factory rear shackle had already been contacting the floor as there is a big divot gouged into it on that side. I only have about 3" clearance from factory shackle end to floor as it sits now. I plan on removing 3 leaf springs soon but that should not change the relationship of shackle clearance right?
Old 11-05-2014, 06:56 PM   #5
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Nope, it won't. As long as you are using the original main leaf, the swing in it will be the same, regardless of how many springs you have attached to it.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:23 AM   #6
NEWFISHER

If its in the budget, buy some dropped leaves or a mono leaf. Removing leafs from your pack is the first step to hating to drive your burb. They will continue to sag and flatten out creating a bounce wagon and eventually just bottom out on everything. Shortening your perches, flipping the axle on top and using blocks, longer shackle, sliding perches etc. But think twice before removing leaves.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:22 PM   #7
Ratpin

I agree, but this is the third current project going right now and money is kind of tight, plus I suffer from the disease that is "once you start, when do you stop" and I'm afraid if I invest in drop leafs then it would be front disc kit, then boosted dual master cylinder and all new lines, then what the hell let's bag, it then 4 years later it's still in pieces. It's happened before.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:31 PM   #8
Southcity

Hey Ratpin - I have a 66 GMC and the previous owner installed lowering shackles and I do not have or see any previous issues with hitting the bed floor, drives and handles great too. I am out of town for a few days but once I return I will try to get some pics for you as well as try to determine the make of the lowering shackles.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:51 AM   #9
Ratpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southcity View Post
Hey Ratpin - I have a 66 GMC and the previous owner installed lowering shackles and I do not have or see any previous issues with hitting the bed floor, drives and handles great too. I am out of town for a few days but once I return I will try to get some pics for you as well as try to determine the make of the lowering shackles.
Sounds good! I did end up just pulling the smallest 4 leaf springs out to lower it. That lowered it about 4-5". Hopefully I wont have any problems with axle wrap. I wont be racing this thing, just cruising.

I'm sure your pictures could still be helpful to others though. Thanks.