The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2017, 08:39 PM   #1
emfh76

wing vent windows

Hello, I have a new project its a 1986 chevy short bed 2 wheel drive that purchased in January and I'm about to start buying parts to install this winter. I would like to rebuild the wing windows and am not sure what or where to buy from. I have looked at lmc but what I would like to find is a complete rebuild kit if there is such a thing. When I open the drivers side the whole window comes out so I'm not sure exactly what all I need. I plan on watching some videos on how to replace the seals to get a feel for what it takes to get this job done. Any info on quality products is greatly appreciated thanks.
emfh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:14 AM   #2
Tash4

Re: wing vent windows

I have not seen a kit. I took mine apart to rebuild & had to drill out rivets. The seals were precision brand & fit was perfect. I didnt have the correct rivets to put back together, so my glass man put them back together for a price that i couldn't turn down.
Tash4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:47 AM   #3
TKCR

I sent mine off to Precision to have them rebuild them. Best way to go!! They know what there are doing and there are a few steps that can be very trying on ones patience. Turn around time is about 2 weeks. Here is the guys info, call him and you can get all your questions answered. I didn't get the complete package on mine. They were able to reuse a lot of my parts, because they were in such good condition when I sent them off.
If you do a search on vent windows, here on the forum, you will a lot of threads and most will end up going to Precision.

Greg Stroik
4611 Camp Phillips Rd.
Weston, WI 54476

1-715-359-7837
Attached Images

TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:13 PM   #4
moregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
I sent mine off to Precision to have them rebuild them. Best way to go!! They know what there are doing and there are a few steps that can be very trying on ones patience. Turn around time is about 2 weeks. Here is the guys info, call him and you can get all your questions answered. I didn't get the complete package on mine. They were able to reuse a lot of my parts, because they were in such good condition when I sent them off.
If you do a search on vent windows, here on the forum, you will a lot of threads and most will end up going to Precision.

Greg Stroik
4611 Camp Phillips Rd.
Weston, WI 54476

1-715-359-7837
Oh very nice indeed!

1983 Chevy C10 250/3spd (current project truck)
1976 Chevy C10 350/350 Heavy Half (future project truck)
moregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:41 PM   #5
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

I'm pretty sure Ken posted in his 77 rebuild thread that Precision is done with wing window rebuilds to focus on other things. But rebuilding them is not hard, just takes a little time and patience like anything else.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:10 PM   #6
TKCR

Here's a few threads on the subject:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...indows&page=19

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...t=vent+windows

Old 07-12-2017, 05:24 PM   #7
emfh76

Thanks for the links. Is precision the place that has stopped doing them? I was reading a thread on here and there is a company that isn't going to do them anymore I hope that's not them. I don't know if I have the patience to do them myself. I will read through the links thanks again.
emfh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:05 PM   #8
TKCR

They haven't stopped doing them. Give Greg a call, you'll be glad you did.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:25 AM   #9
funkatation

I just sent mine in. I spoke with Greg today and they are working on replacement vent windows. When they are released they will stop rebuilding. No eta on the new product, but I'd send them in soon. I also saw that LMC is offering replacement ones for 200 each.
funkatation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:45 PM   #10
NorCalAnthony

If you don't mind my asking, what's the going rate for having precision rebuild the vent windows? I need to take care of the vent windows on my '84 K5 and with how busy I am at work right now having somebody else handle that part could be well worth it...
NorCalAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:48 PM   #11
funkatation

I was quoted 175 per but he did tell me they did have a price increase, not sure what it is.
funkatation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:59 PM   #12
TKCR

Mine was $100 each, but I had already bought my seals, rivets and springs, thinking I would do them myself. So I sent my parts with the vents to be rebuilt. I also kept my handles, because they were in good shape. And they didn't have to replace my vent window frame, mine was not rusted, like so many are. And they will use new ones if they need replaced.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:19 PM   #13
rvrfoot

For my 66 thay want $460 to do mine.
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:53 AM   #14
rip2174

I had mine done by Precision last year and was like 250. Great work.
rip2174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:39 PM   #15
1774btcrew

A good option is some later model 88-91 Suburban/Blazer vents(crewcab if you can find them) They seem to almost always be in good shape.

1972 Cheyenne Super Short Bed big block "Blackie"
1977 Crew Cab GMC Short bed with 4BT Intercooled Cummins Diesel and a 4L80e "The Junkyard Dog"
1985 Crew Cab Chevy dually with 5.9 Cummins "The Big Dog" This is what my dad liked to be called by the grandkids before he passed so it seems fitting for his old truck.
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:41 PM   #16
Rich84

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1774btcrew View Post
A good option is some later model 88-91 Suburban/Blazer vents(crewcab if you can find them) They seem to almost always be in good shape.
Do those have black levers?
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:29 PM   #17
Precision Parts
Tech Help

Just to clear up a little confusion on our rebuild program. We did plan to discontinue it a short while ago which is where Ken got the info. However, after many requests we decided to proceed with it and now have a dedicated person rebuilding them. We have had to increase the cost to $275 per side because of the labor costs though. Sorry for the confusion!

Anyone who has had them rebuilt can vouch for the quality that is put into these. We have worked with a number of great builders out there including Ken with Scarlett, Mike Losh, all three of his builds, Eric Steinbrecher with Tootsie and Chris Stafford with his last two builds, etc.

Let me know if you have any questions and please pass this on if you see other threads develop.

Derek

Updates
Subscribe --->Installation Videos
Follow ------->Instagram
Like---------->Facebook
Precision Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:39 PM   #18
moregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision Parts View Post
Just to clear up a little confusion on our rebuild program. We did plan to discontinue it a short while ago which is where Ken got the info. However, after many requests we decided to proceed with it and now have a dedicated person rebuilding them. We have had to increase the cost to $275 per side because of the labor costs though. Sorry for the confusion!

Anyone who has had them rebuilt can vouch for the quality that is put into these. We have worked with a number of great builders out there including Ken with Scarlett, Mike Losh, all three of his builds, Eric Steinbrecher with Tootsie and Chris Stafford with his last two builds, etc.

Let me know if you have any questions and please pass this on if you see other threads develop.

Derek
Awesome!!

1983 Chevy C10 250/3spd (current project truck)
1976 Chevy C10 350/350 Heavy Half (future project truck)
moregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:34 PM   #19
TKCR

I posted pics of mine, up there on #3, of this thread. I can vouch for the quality, best money you'll ever spend on your beloved truck. They helped dramatically on the wind noise too.
Here's a pic after they were installed back in the truck.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2017, 04:25 PM   #20
1774btcrew

Rich84, they do have black outer buttons. Really easy to change out with chrome if you prefer

1972 Cheyenne Super Short Bed big block "Blackie"
1977 Crew Cab GMC Short bed with 4BT Intercooled Cummins Diesel and a 4L80e "The Junkyard Dog"
1985 Crew Cab Chevy dually with 5.9 Cummins "The Big Dog" This is what my dad liked to be called by the grandkids before he passed so it seems fitting for his old truck.
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:09 AM   #21
Dayton601

Rebuild them yourself, super easy, around $40 or so for seals for both sides, if your vent channels are good re-use them, if not they are around $25 to $30 each, $4 buck for rivets, the biggest problem is flaring the one rivet at the hinge, took and old set of bolt cutters ground off the end and used it to squeeze the flair tool, worked like a charm,
Attached Images

Dayton601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:41 PM   #22
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton601 View Post
Rebuild them yourself, super easy, around $40 or so for seals for both sides, if your vent channels are good re-use them, if not they are around $25 to $30 each, $4 buck for rivets, the biggest problem is flaring the one rivet at the hinge, took and old set of bolt cutters ground off the end and used it to squeeze the flair tool, worked like a charm,
You did a good job!!
Old 08-15-2017, 12:24 PM   #23
Skeetman

I had Precision rebuild my vent windows and they whistle worse than the original old ones. Not happy at all. For the money I should have upgraded to the one piece window conversion to eliminate the vent windows.
Skeetman is offline   Reply With Quote