The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2018, 11:51 AM   #1
Dodge68charger

6-8 Drop Trailing Arm Exhaust Routing?

Just Wondering How Guys With 6-8 Drops Went About Routing Their Exhaust After The Rear Trailing arm Crossmember. I Got Some OfDead End Garages Thru Crossmember Exhaust Cutouts. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Dodge68charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:13 PM   #2
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Re: 6-8 Drop Trailing Arm Exhaust Routing?

To start with I run a set of Camaro / Chevelle headers that tuck the pipes up way higher than C10 specific headers that will not work with a stock truck crossmember. They exit right in the middle of the truck crossmember location horizontally and too close to work around it. I built a square tube crossmember with maximum clearance for the collector location of the Camaro headers. Keeps the pipes and collectors just above the bottom of the truck frame rails so no matter how low it is or gets the headers and pipes will never hit the ground or a speed bump.

Routing the pipes from the Camaro collector location to the trailing arm crossmember exhaust pass-thru location is pretty straight forward and leaves plenty of space to install the stock truck parking brake cable and balance rod.

Tight radius mandrel bends to get the pipes up above the range of motion of the trailing arms right after they passed through the trailing arm crossmember cut-outs then another tight radius bend to turn outward toward the frame rail. This clears the flipped forward trailing arm mount brackets.

After that I turned the pipes rearward and slightly upward to follow the clearance of the bottom of the cab.

I cut additional exhaust pass-thru holes in the crossmember just behind the differential. The mufflers are mounted on edge with the exits going through the rear crossmember holes. Pretty much a straight shot from the crossmember to the S-turn at the forward trailing arm mounts.

Still working on the differential back portion as I haven't gotten all the parts for my rear mounted fuel tank conversion sorted out yet but there is room to route the pipes outward after the differential crossmember and have them turn rearward and follow the frame rails out the back.

I ran it through full range of motion without the springs and made sure there was at least 1/2" clearance so hopefully not too much deflection beyond that happens.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:10 AM   #3
Ruscal

Re: 6-8 Drop Trailing Arm Exhaust Routing?

On mine, I ran the 2 1/2's thru the trailing arm cross member. The mufflers were mounted wide and close behind that x member. The tail pipes were run under the rear end housing and straight back along the sides of the fuel tank exiting under the rear bumper. I wanted to go over the rear axle, but the axle tube is real close to the wood bed when suspension is compressed. I have a 1" C notched frame. I think it can be done if planed very carefully, and some short radius U bends can be sourced. My panhard rod bracket blocks the driver's side straight exit route, so exhaust would have to turn outward aft of axle and routed to exit under rear fender. (stepside)
All trucks are different, so you just have to get under there and plan a route.
Russ