The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2024, 09:08 PM   #1
Railroadman

'66 3/4 ton lower control arm end nuts problems

Trying to get back to working on the truck, too many other projects have delayed me. The problem is the end nuts on the lower control arm shafts. They have various flat spots on them. A secondary problem is the sandblast shop sprayed a heavy primer without masking the threads in the arms so I have had to dig it out with sharp objects, still not 100%. (this was done years ago so no recourse with the shop. I just plain missed it when I picked them up). Pics of all that below.

I can't get the nuts into the control arms, and in the shape they are in it's no wonder. Went to 2 different shops: one was a frame shop, the other does heavy truck spring and other work. Neither of them could clean the parts up with a tap and die.

My next thought was to replace the end nuts. I checked the following 3 vendors, and it seems each has them for 1/2-ton only, not 3/4.

LMC, item #17 : https://www.lmctruck.com/1960-66-che...suspension-2wd

Truck and Car Shop, page 157 has them for 1/2 ton, but the 3/4 ton are for '68 to '72: https://issuu.com/truckandcarshop/docs/ts_60-72_web

Classic Parts https://www.classicparts.com/1963-72...info/74%2D323/

For sure I'm not the only one who ever needed these critters. Were can I get some? And any suggestions on a tap for cleaning out the threads, without cleaning out my wallet? Or just keep chipping away as I have been?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Railroadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 02:17 PM   #2
gmc jr van

Re: '66 3/4 ton lower control arm end nuts problems

The Classic Parts (1963-72) Lower Control Arm Bushing is for the ½ - 1 ton. The OME nut came with flat spots.
Attached Images

gmc jr van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 02:28 PM   #3
Railroadman

Re: '66 3/4 ton lower control arm end nuts problems

Well how did I overlook that? Thank you!

I am learning as I go - what is the purpose of the flat spots? I took a quick glance and figured it was because of 247k (or possibly 347k) miles. Didn't realize they were intentional.

I appreciate the help!
Railroadman is offline   Reply With Quote