The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2018, 09:15 PM   #1
Jbcourt

Front left Park/turn signal 1157 socket R&R/72 K20

Hi, Any of you know the proper procedure for repairing these 1157 bulb sockets?

My bulb only works if I put pressure on it and hold it. It's definitely the socket. I tried a few different bulbs and got the same result. The socket is crimped into the housing of the assembly. I don't want to start taking it apart until I hear from some of you first. Thank you

Reason; I just want to repair the socket. I don't want to buy a whole new assembly. I need it to work and look like original equipment. I really don't want to replace it with some plastic crappy part that won't last and will look cheap.

1972 Chevy K20 long bed/ 350/TH350
Old 06-12-2018, 12:06 PM   #2
hayhauler71

Re: Front left Park/turn signal 1157 socket R&R/72 K20

disconnect the harness at radiator support, feed the wires, contact pad and ground spring out of the front of housing. The new contacts are available at the part store in the help section. The ground spring is not available so i used a 7/16 heli-coil and made a spring out of that because its stainless steel. Clean socket with round wire brush and reassemble and use a little contact grease for corrosion protection. You will need to free wires from protective covering.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:37 PM   #3
Jbcourt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayhauler71 View Post
disconnect the harness at radiator support, feed the wires, contact pad and ground spring out of the front of housing. The new contacts are available at the part store in the help section. The ground spring is not available so i used a 7/16 heli-coil and made a spring out of that because its stainless steel. Clean socket with round wire brush and reassemble and use a little contact grease for corrosion protection. You will need to free wires from protective covering.
Hayhauler71 thank you for the reply. Now it's making sense to me. It's the internals of the socket I need to replace. And yes, I've seen those available at the local auto parts store..
Old 06-22-2018, 09:06 PM   #4
Jbcourt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayhauler71 View Post
Hauler, the lights fixed; works great.