The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2018, 08:27 PM   #1
blindbug

Cluster Plug Pinout Diagrams - 1986 Pin #6 mapping?

I found the below pin-out diagrams for the cluster plug on my 1986 Non-Gauge C10. When I look at the utilized pins on my plug, however, I see that there is (1) additional pin that is utilized on my plug that is not mapped in this diagram.

For me, I have a Pin #6 in my plug, but in the diagram I don't see #6 as being utilized in 1986.

Does anyone have any idea what pin #6 is mapped to? Does anyone know if the attached diagram is accurate for 1986 non-gauge (idiot light) cluster implementations?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

blindbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:22 PM   #2
Goats86

Re: Cluster Plug Pinout Diagrams - 1986 Pin #6 mapping?

That could be pin 8, 11, 2, or 17 depending on the orientation of the plug. What color is the wire?
Goats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:26 PM   #3
Goats86

check out this diagram
Attached Images

Goats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:53 PM   #4
blindbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goats86 View Post
That could be pin 8, 11, 2, or 17 depending on the orientation of the plug. What color is the wire?
Yeah, sorry. Disregard the test probe. I was just using it to keep my sausage fingers out of the picture. The probe is touching pin 2 in that picture.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:58 PM   #5
blindbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goats86 View Post
check out this diagram
Is there any more to that one? Looks promising but doesn’t say what the pins function(s) are. Also that diagram doesn’t have pin 16, which I think is seat belt warning. I do have a wire running to my belts, so it might just be that 16 isn’t common for all the years.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:04 AM   #6
ray_mcavoy

Pin #6 on the non-gauge (warning light) cluster is a key switched power feed to one side of the "battery / GEN" light. Should be a brown wire identified by circuit #50 on the factory diagrams and lead back to the "Heater / AC" fuse.

The other side of the "battery / GEN" light is connected to pin #7. It also uses a brown wire but this one is identified as circuit #25 and connects to the alternator.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:30 AM   #7
blindbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
Pin #6 on the non-gauge (warning light) cluster is a key switched power feed to one side of the "battery / GEN" light. Should be a brown wire identified by circuit #50 on the factory diagrams and lead back to the "Heater / AC" fuse.

The other side of the "battery / GEN" light is connected to pin #7. It also uses a brown wire but this one is identified as circuit #25 and connects to the alternator.
Excellent, thank you!

To make a long story short, I am trying to wire up a Dakota Digital Gauge Cluster and am trying to find out where to wire up a couple of things.

Fuel Send - Pin 18
Fuel Negative - I don't know? Run a new wire?
Tach Input - New wire to TACH side of HEI distributor
12 volt Accessory Switched - Pin 6
12 volt constant - Pin 5
Ground - Pin 9
High Beam Indicator - Pin 1
Parking break Indictor - Pin 8
Left Turn Indicator - Pin 10
Right Turn Indicator - Pin 11

Would anyone care to validate the pins above?

I wonder if I can use the dimmer on the stock headlights switch to dim the VHX gauges?
Old 07-06-2018, 12:04 PM   #8
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindbug View Post
To make a long story short, I am trying to wire up a Dakota Digital Gauge Cluster and am trying to find out where to wire up a couple of things.

Fuel Send - Pin 18 Yes
Fuel Negative - I don't know? Run a new wire? Double check with the Dakota Digital instructions, but I believe this is a ground reference for the fuel sending unit and could be connected to pin 9. Or run a new wire all the way to the sending unit body to reduce any potential issues (rust, loose connections, etc.) that could occur using the stock ground path.
Tach Input - New wire to TACH side of HEI distributor Yes, this will require a new wire run to the TACH connector on the HEI
12 volt Accessory Switched - Pin 6 Yes, this pin will work for switched power. You could also use pin 5 ... it's switched on/off via the ignition too.
12 volt constant - Pin 5 No, pin 5 is switched and not constant. The factory cluster plug doesn't have any constant power wire so you'll have to run a new wire to the fuse box.
Ground - Pin 9 Yes
High Beam Indicator - Pin 1 Yes
Parking break Indictor - Pin 8 Yes, the switch on the parking brake (and the switch on the combination/proportioning valve) ground this wire to activate the brake warning light. So as long as the Dakota Digital system is configured to activate the light when this wire is grounded, it should work.
Left Turn Indicator - Pin 10 Yes
Right Turn Indicator - Pin 11 Yes

Would anyone care to validate the pins above?
See my comments in blue.

Quote:
I wonder if I can use the dimmer on the stock headlights switch to dim the VHX gauges?
The control in the stock headlight switch is simply a rheostat (variable resistor) that reduces the voltage to the backlighting bulbs in the stock cluster. If the Dakota Digital cluster has an input that accepts a variable voltage to control the backlighting intensity then it will probably work.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:22 PM   #9
blindbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
See my comments in blue.
You are THE MAN!

It looks like the brake indicator does in fact use a GROUND signal:

Quote:
The BRAKE terminal can be used as a brake system warning indicator. The BRAKE input is activated by a ground signal from the brake pressure switch on the master cylinder or from the parking brake set switch. Connect a wire from this terminal to the pressure switch on the master cylinder or consult a vehicle service manual to determine color and location of an existing wire. Whenever the BRAKE input is grounded, the system will display “check BRAKE” on the LCD 1 message display.

Regarding the Fuel Negative. It says this:
Quote:
This terminal is used to provide a ground connection for the fuel level sensor. Dakota Digital recommends that you use the FUEL - terminal and run a twisted pair of wires back to your fuel level sensor. Connect the FUEL - terminal to the fuel level sensor body or a mounting screw to insure the sensor is sufficiently grounded. One terminal on the sensor is the signal which goes to the FUEL SND terminal.
So I guess that this can probably go to Pin 9, since the sender is grounded at the tank to the frame.

For the dimmer, instructions say:
Quote:
ADJ SND
The ADJ SND terminal is an optionally used input that allows you to have control over the dimming brightness. By default, the system will turn on the back lights when the DIM terminal has power, +12V, but this level is adjustable in the Lighting setup menu. Using the ADJ SND terminal allows you to have a dash mounted control to vary the brightness while the headlights are on. This requires Dakota Digital’s DIM-1 kit; a stock headlight rheostat will not work.
The DIM-1 has two wires, one connects to the ADJ SND terminal and the other connects to ADJ - ground. The dash mounted dimmer will only vary the display brightness when the DIM terminal has power, +12V.

ADJ –
This terminal provides a ground reference for the optionally installed DIM-1 for dash mounted dimming control. One wire from the potentiometer will connect to the ADJ – terminal, the other connects to the ADJ SND.
So I guess I can't use the stock dimmer, since it wouldn't be a potentiometer, I believe?

I might have to give dakota digital a call on the dimmer part.

Thanks a million for the help you are providing!
Old 07-27-2018, 05:32 PM   #10
Synical4

Quote:
You are THE MAN!

It looks like the brake indicator does in fact use a GROUND signal:

Regarding the Fuel Negative. It says this:

So I guess that this can probably go to Pin 9, since the sender is grounded at the tank to the frame.

For the dimmer, instructions say:

So I guess I can't use the stock dimmer, since it wouldn't be a potentiometer, I believe?

I might have to give dakota digital a call on the dimmer part.

Thanks a million for the help you are providing!

For the dimmer to work you will need to use the parking lot write so when you turn on your lights at night the gauges automatically dim compared to the day time brightness. This will give it a positive 12 volts when the lights comes on & not to the daytime running lights if u have daytime running lights, it has to be parking lights.
Synical4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:37 PM   #11
blindbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synical4 View Post
For the dimmer to work you will need to use the parking lot write so when you turn on your lights at night the gauges automatically dim compared to the day time brightness. This will give it a positive 12 volts when the lights comes on & not to the daytime running lights if u have daytime running lights, it has to be parking lights.
For dimming, I utilized Pin #2 ("Instrument Lights"). Now when I pull my light switch, it dims the gauges as expected. I don't have a handy way to dim or brighten the lights at night, but they do what I expect them to!

Just sharing for those who might be doing this upgrade in the future.