The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2006, 09:54 PM   #1
67Mach1

How much rust is too much rust?

a friend and I own a 72 chevy suburban. It is rusty.... Rockers quarters roof at front of cab. firewall from cowel area, floorboards and kickboards too.

How rusty do they have to be before you junk them? I mean this oen might be saveable fi someone only worked on it and had a fist full of money too.

I'll try to add photos later.

Thanks thomas

67 GMC Shortbed 454 Project
more junk and most of it
is for sale
67Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:36 AM   #2
Scrubby
Check out GMTrucks.org

Re: How much rust is too much rust?

Depends.

Some people will say save them all.

I say if you add up all the parts and time needed to make it right, and that comes up to more than the $2000 - $3000 it would cost you to get a rust free burb, part it and junk it.
Scrubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 08:20 AM   #3
67Mach1

Well thats not a bad idea....

This is the only good photo of rust i have but the other side is just as bad.

Thanks

Thomas

67 GMC Shortbed 454 Project
more junk and most of it
is for sale
67Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 08:31 AM   #4
olblue60@aol.com

It is far easier and cheaper to buy a more solid truck for a little more money than to start from something that needs alot of repair.A solid truck and a rusty truck, at the end of the project, both trucks finished the same, the rusty truck will cost alot more to get there, and will probably be worth less because of all the patching and bondo. Thats why people finally see nothing else to left do but part them. Good luck!!

John
1941 Chevy Sedan Delivery
1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery
1972 Camaro SS 396 #s matching
1971 Harley FX Superglide
olblue60@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:15 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Rustfree`Burbs aren`t all that common.I`d say it depends on what you want to end up with.I would never start with a rusty vehicle if I wanted it to turn out "cherry".For a fun or useful or funky vehicle,who cares?Run it as it is or pack it with putty or chop`n`patch or just get downright creative.Plenty of peeps have reconstructed rear 1/4s with pickup bedsides.I wouldn`t junk it,I`d offer bit up first.Someone`ll give you something for it.If it was me,I`d cut out the rust and build a woody.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:51 AM   #6
Billla
Account Suspended

Ah, but you're missing out on the fun and excitement of doing all the work yourself! :-D

Seriously, I make the judgement based on the availability of repair parts. If there's a repair panel available for the rusted area, I'm there. If not and I have to fabricate something that is complex, then I pass.
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:56 AM   #7
longhorn71

Depends on where you are at.In Alberta here just try to find on the does not need a bunch of rust repair But it is cheaper then bringing stuff from the southern states most time.(truckin,buying and boarder crossing)
longhorn71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:21 PM   #8
70rs/ss

I,ve sold two (yes two!) rust free burbs to qksilver, they are not hens teeth by any means. Here in AZ rust free is the norm and with shipping or flying out and driving, you are still way ahead on your project. I'd say that is too bad for me, but I see them on a fairly regular basis with not rust. I sent a burb less motor trans and int to the junker a few months ago because no one on the board wanted it (I called the owner and he'll sell it back to me for $250!) soyes, they are out there and in the end they are not overly collectable so getting out of it what you put into it is not happening. Start with a solid truck (pay more for it, it will be worth it in the long run) and build what you want, unlees you have endless $$$$ and lots of time and welding experience.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 08:15 PM   #9
Long Roof
Old School, New Style

I think you should just pay someone to completely redo that one! Make sure that they put some real comfy seats in though because you will be living in it after you sell the house.

There is definitely a limit to what can be saved. Everbody's limit is different though and some people also have sentimental attachments to there ride.

I would part it or sell it.

AAron
- 96 Chevy Impala SS - mainly stock
- 98 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4 - all stock
The Bad:
- 86 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 4x4 - winter beater
The Ugly:
- 72 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 2wd - parts truck
Long Roof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 10:58 AM   #10
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Body work is usually the most expensive part of building a ride.The nicer body you start with the less it will cost to get the body to where you want it.
If you have no sentimental attachment I would try to find a better body.If you want to save this one sell the house.That is if you are not a body man.The only other way is to trade work or other parts for your body repair.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 04:35 PM   #11
86swb
Born a Chevy Man

To do that Burb right you would want to strip "all" the primer and paint off so you can see what you really have. Now if that Burb was something that has been in the family since new I would say go for it. (mine happened to be in good shape!)

*1986 Chevy SWB Silverado
*1984 Chevy Longbed Silverado

New Kia Sportage (Wife's car and she loves it)

CHEVY, American made w/pride!

If you can read this, YOU NEED TO THANK A TEACHER!
If you can read this in ENGLISH, PLEASE THANK A SOLDIER!
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND BLESS OUR FIGHTING TROOPS

Last edited by 86swb; 01-08-2006 at 04:36 PM.
86swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 01:26 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss
I,ve sold two (yes two!) rust free burbs to qksilver, they are not hens teeth by any means. Here in AZ rust free is the norm and with shipping or flying out and driving, you are still way ahead on your project. I'd say that is too bad for me, but I see them on a fairly regular basis with not rust. I sent a burb less motor trans and int to the junker a few months ago because no one on the board wanted it (I called the owner and he'll sell it back to me for $250!) soyes, they are out there and in the end they are not overly collectable so getting out of it what you put into it is not happening. Start with a solid truck (pay more for it, it will be worth it in the long run) and build what you want, unlees you have endless $$$$ and lots of time and welding experience.
Shut up,you`re in Arizona.What do you know about rust?LOL

I have seen rust on Arizona Subs,though.Very little,but in the problem areas.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 01-09-2006 at 01:26 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote