The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-09-2018, 01:44 AM   #1
GreaseMonkey23

new to this platform

New to this forum. Acquired this truck while back on a trade just decided to work on it now. Guy I got it from got it from an unpaid debt so didn't get no info from him. Paper work says 69 but only have a vin on the frame. Ive done the suspension work and now in the process of finishing the ls swap. looking to get tubular arms but, unsure on what spindles are being used now. Spindles look new, 6 lug disc brake. need help identifying what was swapped over from my understanding these came drum and 5 lug. Thanks . Looking forward to learning new things about this platform .
Attached Images

Last edited by GreaseMonkey23; 08-09-2018 at 09:35 PM. Reason: picture upload
GreaseMonkey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:36 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: new to this platform

It's hard to say. It has to be aftermarket. The spindles might be marked. Pictures would help.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:10 PM   #3
bill3rail

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey23 View Post
Paper work says 69 but only have a vin on the frame.
I cannot answer your front end questions, however can I ask you some questions?
No time for you to answer that question so...
No VIN plate on the door pillar? No SPID on the inside of glove box door?

Will CA DMV accept what paperwork you have?
Old 08-09-2018, 04:12 PM   #4
'68OrangeSunshine

Six lug is normal for '69 C/10. The switch to 5-lugs for 2WDs came later. '71, maybe?
A ''9'' in the frame VIN, followed by a letter [very likely ''Z'' for Fremont, Cal.] plus six more numbers should be what you get there. The first four digits [CE14] won't be stamped on the frame.
Welcome to 67-72ChevyTrucksdotcom.
I would check with the DMV about getting legal. You don't want to sink a lot of time and money into an unregisterable ''parts truck.''

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 08-09-2018 at 04:21 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:13 PM   #5
GreaseMonkey23

I have Z? 5 more number i can read there is a 9 in there. i took that vin too DMV said there was nothing in the system so id would have to take it in for vin verification. I'm past the point of dumping to much money haha
Old 08-09-2018, 09:23 PM   #6
bill3rail

Quote:
I have Z? 5 more number i can read there is a 9 in there. i took that vin too DMV said there was nothing in the system so id would have to take it in for vin verification. I'm past the point of dumping to much money haha
I guess ID is a DMV office to verify your VIN?

This is my understanding of the frame stamp/VIN.

My frame stamp is B1xxxx
It is missing the CS140.

Full VIN is CS140B1xxxxx (1xxxxx is actual truck S/N)

Bill
Old 08-09-2018, 09:30 PM   #7
GreaseMonkey23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill3rail View Post
I cannot answer your front end questions, however can I ask you some questions?
No time for you to answer that question so...
No VIN plate on the door pillar? No SPID on the inside of glove box door?

Will CA DMV accept what paperwork you have?
no vin plate on the door and it looks like the painted over the SPID.
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2018, 09:32 PM   #8
GreaseMonkey23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill3rail View Post
I guess ID is a DMV office to verify your VIN?

This is my understanding of the frame stamp/VIN.

My frame stamp is B1xxxx
It is missing the CS140.

Full VIN is CS140B1xxxxx (1xxxxx is actual truck S/N)

Bill
mine is Z? xx9xx not sure if ? A or 4.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:34 PM   #9
GreaseMonkey23

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
It's hard to say. It has to be aftermarket. The spindles might be marked. Pictures would help.
no markings on spindles
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2018, 09:45 PM   #10
jocko

Z is for Fremont, if it's indeed a Z. Often frame is just last 6 digits of the VIN - i.e. the sequential serial #, which is normally 6 numbers, no letters, but who knows.

It appears you are correct in that your SPID is still present under the red paint - I'd whip out some paint thinner and CAREFULLY start removing the paint to see what's cookin under there.

If 70 or older, your truck would have come with 6 lug drums - 5 lugs didn't hit the C10 world until 71 when disk brakes also came out.

Even if you can uncover the SPID and the trail digits match the frame - I'd expect CA DMV will still want to verify AND issue a new metal tag with a state-generated VIN. Missing metal plate is a major problem, unfortunately.

EDIT: Oops, I missed that 68Orangesunshine already mentioned most of this - sorry!

Last edited by jocko; 08-09-2018 at 09:51 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:52 PM   #11
GreaseMonkey23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Z is for Fremont, if it's indeed a Z. Often frame is just last 6 digits of the VIN - i.e. the sequential serial #, which is normally 6 numbers, no letters, but who knows.

It appears you are correct in that your SPID is still present under the red paint - I'd whip out some paint thinner and CAREFULLY start removing the paint to see what's cookin under there.

Yea I have the Z for sure then it’s either a A or 4. Digit space then 5 digits. Yea I’m going to ask my painter to come over n help me remove some of the pint.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-09-2018, 09:53 PM   #12
GreaseMonkey23

Quote:

If 70 or older, your truck would have come with 6 lug drums - 5 lugs didn't hit the C10 world until 71 when disk brakes also came out.

Even if you can uncover the SPID and the trail digits match the frame - I'd expect CA DMV will still want to verify AND issue a new metal tag with a state-generated VIN. Missing metal plate is a major problem, unfortunately.

EDIT: Oops, I missed that 68Orangesunshine already mentioned most of this - sorry!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-09-2018, 09:54 PM   #13
GreaseMonkey23

Yea that my biggest worry is that they will make a big deal about the missing vin plate. It’s never going to be a daily worse comes to worse I’ll have to buy a cab n redo some work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-09-2018, 10:43 PM   #14
jocko

FWIW, your truck's original VIN "should" have been:
If V8 fleetside: CE10D ZAxxxxx
If I6 fleetside: CS10D ZAxxxxx
The x's are the sequential build # identifier.
If you can clean off the frame a little more and figure out those last 5 digits, perhaps DMV can be a little more help. Sounds like the office you went to was willing to run your partial VIN #, so maybe they will help with these possible numbers. On the other hand, you might not like what they find out.. But, at least you'd know and they would also know you're being as up front with it as possible - and might be inclined to help. Unless, of course, it turns out that some dude stole it 5 owners ago. Am assuming no title?

BTW, 6 lug rotors are either 71+ 4x4 or, much more likely, aftermarket (part of a drop kit I'm assuming since you mentioned spindles looking new) - GM didn't make em for 2WD trucks.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:55 PM   #15
GreaseMonkey23

Quote:
If you can clean off the frame a little more and figure out those last 5 digits, perhaps DMV can be a little more help. Sounds like the office you went to was willing to run your partial VIN #, so maybe they will help with these possible numbers. On the other hand, you might not like what they find out.. But, at least you'd know and they would also know you're being as up front with it as possible - and might be inclined to help. Unless, of course, it turns out that some dude stole it 5 owners ago. Am assuming no title?

BTW, 6 lug rotors are either 71+ 4x4 or, much more likely, aftermarket (part of a drop kit I'm assuming since you mentioned spindles looking new) - GM didn't make em for 2WD trucks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-09-2018, 11:20 PM   #16
GreaseMonkey23

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
sweet so its ZA plus the 5 digits i have already. thought someone mentioned that 6lug came on the pre 70 trucks.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:23 PM   #17
GreaseMonkey23

another question for you guys. what all needs to be done to run 73+ arms?
Old 08-09-2018, 11:28 PM   #18
GreaseMonkey23

Quote:

I have taken this vin in with the bill of sale to DMV. DMV said it wasn't in the system i would have to take the truck once it was done with all receipts of parts I have put on it. then they would verify the vin and issue new registration .
Old 08-09-2018, 11:47 PM   #19
'68OrangeSunshine

OK. We didn't know it was a GMC. My sequence was for a Chevy. Pic was edited in later. There will be more letters in a GMC code. A ''Z'' could also mean 0 for 1970, besides Z for Fremont in the full VIN.
My '68 C/10 has a VIN of CS148Z123XXX. The Chevy Stepside's frame VIN is 8Z123XXX.
My '71 GMC Jimmy's VIN is KE114-S134XXX. The [-] dash is a GMC thing, It denotes special Pennsylvania-mandated equipment if there's a letter code, and a dash if none. The S is for St Louis, MO assembly. I guess the 1 after the S is for 1971. Funny, I could not find the frame VIN on the Jimmy. I've had that truck for 23 years, and I never noticed it didn't have one.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 08-09-2018 at 11:54 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:08 AM   #20
GreaseMonkey23

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
OK. We didn't know it was a GMC. My sequence was for a Chevy. Pic was edited in later. There will be more letters in a GMC code. A ''Z'' could also mean 0 for 1970, besides Z for Fremont in the full VIN.
My '68 C/10 has a VIN of CS148Z123XXX. The Chevy Stepside's frame VIN is 8Z123XXX.
My '71 GMC Jimmy's VIN is KE114-S134XXX. The [-] dash is a GMC thing, It denotes special Pennsylvania-mandated equipment if there's a letter code, and a dash if none. The S is for St Louis, MO assembly. I guess the 1 after the S is for 1971. Funny, I could not find the frame VIN on the Jimmy. I've had that truck for 23 years, and I never noticed it didn't have one.

it took some brake cleaner and sandpaper to get mine to show. hopefully that fame vin will be enough.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:13 AM   #21
jocko

Quote:
thought someone mentioned that 6lug came on the pre 70 trucks.
C10 (2WD) and K5/10 (4WD) were 6 lug thru 70. In 71 and newer, only K5/10s had 6 lug wheel, whereas C10s switched to 5 lugs in 71. All Cs and Ks switched to disk brakes after 1970 - that is why there are indeed factory 5 and 6 lug disk brake rotors - it's just that the 6 lug disk brake rotors were all from K5/10s. 6 lug disk brake rotors are available via aftermarket mfgrs for retrofit onto pre-71 C trucks.
EDIT: And I think this is what is on your truck - aftermarket drop spindle/6 lug disk brake retrofit kit. They are made so folks can carry a single spare (6 lug) and not have to swap out their 6 lug rear axles in order to get front disks. There are also 5 lug rear axle kits - which would be a good option if, for example, someone had swapped on 5 lug front disks. Then you could just swap the rear axles and have 5 lugs all around. Anyway, irrelevant, you have 6 lugs, likely aftermarket in the front.

Last edited by jocko; 08-10-2018 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:19 AM   #22
GreaseMonkey23

Quote:
C10 (2WD) and K5/10 (4WD) were 6 lug thru 70. In 71 and newer, only K5/10s had 6 lug wheel, whereas C10s switched to 5 lugs in 71. All Cs and Ks switched to disk brakes after 1970 - that is why there are indeed factory 5 and 6 lug disk brake rotors - it's just that the 6 lug disk brake rotors were all from K5/10s. 6 lug disk brake rotors are available via aftermarket mfgrs for retrofit onto pre-71 C trucks.
gotcha thanks. learned alot in these past couple of days.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:27 AM   #23
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
it took some brake cleaner and sandpaper to get mine to show. hopefully that fame vin will be enough.
As I've read on this forum, they're not always there, especially GMCs.
Lucky for me, my Jimmy came from California. So the AZ MVD only wanted to inspect it for all the brake lights, turn signals and stuff working. Then they titled it as a 2DSW -- two door station wagon. When I told the woman inspector it was a First Generation SUV, she said: "I'm doing you a favor. You DON'T want to pay for it licensed as an SUV.'' Since it's only about $32 bucks a year for registration, I guess she was right. I found an Arizona 1969-72 yellow license plate in my collection [I've been collecting plates since I was a kid.] And with that Year Of Manufacture (YOM) plate and collector car insurance, I'm emissions-exempt.
Otherwise ADOT still requires vehicles 1967 and later to pass emissions in Pima and Maricopa Counties.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:59 AM   #24
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

You already have drop spindles.
I’m not sure why you want to switch to tubular a-arms and different spindles, that you discussed in pm.
A better picture of your a-arms would help identify them.
If they have rubber cross shaft bushings they are 73-87.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote