The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2007, 07:58 PM   #1
Rokcrln

New seats! An all day project!!

Well I started the day off ready to work on a customers Trazer. I was going to add two more seat mounting holes to the pass side rear for a bench seat. But it turns out that blazers (atleast this one) are not set up for bench seats at all or not ones out a truck. Every bolt hole was off so I went on to plan "B"

I have a set of 92 60/40 split bench seats for Low Buck trying to get a bit more leg room. I wanted to pull the stock bench seat and make a frame that would bolt into my trucks floor using all 8 stock bench mounting holes. The make the new seats bolt to that because I have already put Dyna matt in my truck and have decent carpet so I did not want to mess with any of that. I have part of a truck cab bolted to a "Tip and Flip" dolly that I used for building my frame that I then used to mark out the blazer. I just might have to keep this piece of cab around for this kind of work it sure made things easy for once.

Ok so here is a basic run down of what I did. First I set the seats in the cab and figured out what size I wanted the frame to be. Then I pulled my hydro bender out of hibernation (forgot how fun this thing can be) and wipped out a frame. I then made mounting plates out of 2" x 1/8" plate that bolted to the stock mounting locations. I set the frame were I wanted it and set it on blocks to clear the tranny hump (and carpet).

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:06 PM   #2
Rokcrln

Re: New seats! An all day project!!

Then I took some tube (all 1" .120 HREW) and made 4 small pieces that would support the frame were I wanted it. After that was done I made my cross braces that the center 4 seat mounts would bolt to. I used 3/8" inserts in the frame for bolting the seat to just to keep it simple and clean and not need two hands for nut and bolts. I had to "C notch" the center mount to clear the tranny tunnel hump. Turns out after sectioning about 2 1/2" out of the seat brackets it left that one mount 1" high and this worked out perfectly so I could put a brace over the notch.

I set the frame rear and the notch so it would just sit on the floor of my truck with carpet and Dyna mat so it will not sag over time with heavy loads

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2007, 08:09 PM   #3
Rokcrln

I sectioned the seats so they would not be to high and if I were to do it again I would have gone 1" more but it will do fine as it is now.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2007, 08:17 PM   #4
Rokcrln

So now all that is left is to make some adapters for the 93 drivers and passengers side seat belt retractor thingy to bolt in. Then I will have more leg room, folding forward seats, center seat belt for my son and sholder belts. Also the seat frame doubles as a guard rail to keep my hitch, jumper cables, tie down straps and tool bag in place and not slid out from under the seat at quick stops.

Does anyone know a place that sells factory seat cover for these seats in black? Also I will want to get new seat belts in black or atleast dark grey.

Here is a pic of the frame in the trazer for seat hole marking. Not one hole lines up for a bench! In the pic I have the 4 drivers side bolts in then I noticed it was off center by about an 1 1/2" so it will need to shift over about 3/4" to 1" to fit right. I could leave this side as is but that would drive me nuts being off just a touch. Well that will be fixed on Sunday.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rokcrln; 12-10-2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:09 PM   #5
1969k10stepside

Nice fabricating!! The blazer was probably set up for stock bucket seats.If a set of original buckets isn't going to be used (Which appears to be the case) you might consider pulling out the crossmember that runs under the cab and see if the owner wants to sell it.People adding factory buckets to their trucks usually buy them.Just a thought.

Last edited by 1969k10stepside; 12-10-2007 at 09:11 PM.
1969k10stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:15 PM   #6
Rokcrln

No that cross member is staying were it is. The blazer has been blasted, sealed top, bottom and inside so no more pullin things apart. But thanks for the idea!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:21 AM   #7
Rokcrln

All finished and it worked out great. Best part is it is all a bolt in set up so it can be moved or deleted with out damage.
I built the floor retractor mounts this morning and bolted it all in for a test fit. The shoulder belt fits me and my wife just fine with out digging in to our neck! The floor plate is 2" wide 3/16" plate that I sheared and then broke to shape. I then welded a bolt to the back side and now the retractor unit sit's flat so it won't lock up when ever you are trying to put on your belt.

No I am working on setting my gas and brake pedal back for just a bit more leg room. I figure the seat gave about 2" and the gas pedal will be 1" and 2" on the brake to line them up with each other.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rokcrln; 12-11-2007 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:28 PM   #8
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

amazing work!

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:29 AM   #9
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Looks great. Do the headrests remove easily?

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:34 AM   #10
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
Looks great. Do the headrests remove easily?
Yes they do but I think I will leave them. My head is real close to that back glass when your brakes fail From the out side looking in the back window they really don't look bad.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:46 PM   #11
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Rokcrln,... You can also use the "second" seat in the '92-'94 crew cab 1-tons and duallys. They make great bench seats and also have the seat adjuster lever. Also my "second seat" had no head rests. Another question,... Didn't the seat design change in the '95 model year? I thought the regular cab and extended cabs ran '88-'94 and the '95-'98. (with the exception being the '88-'91 crew cabs,... because they were still the old square body style of the '73-'87 pickups)

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 12-12-2007 at 05:48 PM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:06 PM   #12
eedgell
It's the air up here

Does the gas tank have to be removed or relocated to do this mod.?

Never drink down stream of the herd!

Eric
eedgell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:29 PM   #13
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Rokcrln,... You can also use the "second" seat in the '92-'94 crew cab 1-tons and duallys. They make great bench seats and also have the seat adjuster lever. Also my "second seat" had no head rests. Another question,... Didn't the seat design change in the '95 model year? I thought the regular cab and extended cabs ran '88-'94 and the '95-'98. (with the exception being the '88-'91 crew cabs,... because they were still the old square body style of the '73-'87 pickups)
I am not sure but I found out today mine came out of a 92 ext cab. I do not know if their are any differances or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eedgell View Post
Does the gas tank have to be removed or relocated to do this mod.?
I do not think it does but mine was already gone. It does look like you would have the room but if not you will just not slide it back as far. Ether way it will still give you a few inches more then stock.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:14 PM   #14
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
The interior design changed in 95.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:42 AM   #15
vetnat

subbed
Old 11-08-2019, 07:13 PM   #16
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetnat View Post
subbed
12 year old thread …. wonder if anyone will chime in for you?

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote