The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2015, 10:15 PM   #1
jbreeves72C10

Show Entry Question of Ethics

Hi Forum Members,
I have a question of ethics that I am not sure about and would like your input. I have an almost restored C10 and have entered and won several car shows in the Dallas area. My question is what class to enter to be politically correct. The chassis, engine, transmission, drum brakes, spring suspension, steering, etc are 68. The front clip and bumper is 70. The cab VIN comes back as 72. Should I enter into the 60-70 trucks based on the majority of the parts or the 70-80 class based on the VIN? I have always entered by the VIN but the last show I entered in the 68 class and won. I wasn't sure if I should feel bad or not.
Thanks,
JB
Attached Images

jbreeves72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:32 PM   #2
leftybass209

Re: Show Entry Question of Ethics

Strange question. Does your DMV recognize the frame vin, or the cab vin and how is your truck registered?

Take the year it's registered, and if nothing is shady about it, use that and feel confident about it. If it's purposely body swapped and presented to the DMV as something else, morals and ethics are out the window at that point.

Really I don't see an issue entering it in either class. I'd say the way they set those years are pretty screwy, as all trucks were doing a body-style change in the early 70's.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:23 PM   #3
jocko

I'd enter as 72 based on VIN. But, don't feel bad because of winning in the 68 class. Now, if you decided to run in the 68 class when you saw a couple of killer rides in the 70+ class, well, er, um, you could feel a little bad, but, it'll pass. Ha. Seriously, don't sweat it, either way is fine.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:30 PM   #4
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I wouldn't feel bad at all.

I've seen $35,000 dollar show rigs chasing trophies in the "unfinished" class because they were missing a rear view mirror... now that calls ethics into play!

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:07 AM   #5
jbreeves72C10

Now that is bad..! Trophies aren't THAT important...lol. My thinking was that the body style, 68 or 72, is not the square body that started in 73. So, if I go in the 60's class then I am competing against like trucks. If I go in the 70's class, I am also competing against 7 years of different body style trucks. Makes more sense to me to enter the 68 class but I wanted your opinions. I don't want to be THAT guy :-) I appreciate y'all's input.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:37 AM   #6
BCOWANWHEELS

ask the officials when you go to enter your truck. be honest brings back honesty
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:42 AM   #7
jbreeves72C10

leftybass209,
Sorry, I didn't answer your first question. In Texas, we are registered on the Cab VIN.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:53 AM   #8
jbreeves72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCOWANWHEELS View Post
ask the officials when you go to enter your truck. be honest brings back honesty
Amen my Brother in Christ :-)
John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:21 AM   #9
67 chevelle

To me these trucks are identified by their grill , 69-70 were the same , yours looks like neither , in your case I would go with the cab vintage ,, nice truck , this is my "opinion" very biased
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:52 AM   #10
hugger6933

Really the problem seems to be with thew way the entry is laid out. The years should be so that this isn't a problem 60-66-67-72 and 73-80. The way the body styles were laid out. I would simply ask the people as you enter the show. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:59 AM   #11
jbreeves72C10

Totally agreed and that was my thinking. I should not be competing against square bodies. They are a different breed. Not that I don't like them. I won best in class with my 85 before I sold it to get this one but, it seems the classes should be segregated like you said. I was at a show and entered the 70's truck class. I lost to a 78 square body that was a hack job convertible. It was nothing like my restored C10 and should not have been in the same class in MHO. It's just for fun and meeting people for me but that's why I posted this...for everyone's opinion. Thanks Guys..!
Old 12-03-2015, 09:41 AM   #12
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbreeves72C10 View Post
My thinking was that the body style, 68 or 72, is not the square body that started in 73. So, if I go in the 60's class then I am competing against like trucks. If I go in the 70's class, I am also competing against 7 years of different body style trucks. Makes more sense to me to enter the 68 class but I wanted your opinions. I don't want to be THAT guy :-) I appreciate y'all's input.
Same thing if you're entering the 60's class... 60-66 is 7 years of a different body style

Everything posted above is why I never enter in shows. I take my truck to tons of small, local cruise ins, or "shows" where there's really no classes, etc. Some don't do anything, some do "top 10, or top 25". When I go to big shows like Charlotte, etc I usually park my stuff in the parking lot, takes way too long to get inside. I've only ever won one trophy (was like 3rd place) and I don't remember what it was for

I agree with "67 Chevelle", to me your truck looks like a 71/72 with a tube grille, so that's what I would enter it as... but if you're having better luck in the 60's classes... it's really up to you.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:58 AM   #13
cooperhw

When I go to a judged show with my Chevelle I usually put "not to be judged" on the window sticker. It's way too easy to get caught up in the whole trophy thing (I know as I did it years ago) and forget what you go there for in the first place is to surround yourself with people who also love these old vehicles.
If any question is in your mind, ask at the entry desk, and move on. I like this old "Car Show Creed" posted in Goodguys magazine a while back. Words to live by.
Attached Images

cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:19 AM   #14
Ironangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhw View Post
When I go to a judged show with my Chevelle I usually put "not to be judged" on the window sticker. It's way too easy to get caught up in the whole trophy thing (I know as I did it years ago) and forget what you go there for in the first place is to surround yourself with people who also love these old vehicles.
If any question is in your mind, ask at the entry desk, and move on. I like this old "Car Show Creed" posted in Goodguys magazine a while back. Words to live by.
Amen! I learned this the hard way two months ago at the Truck Nationals burnout contest. I was disqualified for running 10 seconds long. The heartbreak of loosing that trophy was alleviated when to my surprise the truck took a second place trophy in the 72 C-10 class... And the burnout,
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:46 AM   #15
Grumpy old man

Trophies , Just 1 more thing to collect dust in the shop .There are just way too many variables to be considered to make them the reason to show your truck . very experienced judges ? comparable competition ? trailer queens vs drove to the show ? self built or fresh off ebay $50,000.00 restomod ? a trophy used to mean something and only finished trucks/ cars were allowed to enter . Now many are just "here's your participation trophy" thanks for the entry fee . Just my personal opinion .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #16
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Trophies , Just 1 more thing to collect dust in the shop .There are just way too many variables to be considered to make them the reason to show your truck . very experienced judges ? comparable competition ? trailer queens vs drove to the show ? self built or fresh off ebay $50,000.00 restomod ? a trophy used to mean something and only finished trucks/ cars were allowed to enter . Now many are just "here's your participation trophy" thanks for the entry fee . Just my personal opinion .
I hear ya. Well said.
Years ago me and my buddies cleared out all of our trophies and donated them to the "Special Olympics" group. Took em to the trophy shop and left them and $50 to have all the little plaques changed to whatever the group wanted them to read. Kids loved em way more than we liked dusting them. Some guys keep em as a shrine, me, "not a one on the property". To each their own, and nothing against the guys who set store by winning one, just not my bag.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 03:45 PM   #17
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Show Entry Question of Ethics

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbreeves72C10 View Post
Hi Forum Members,
I have a question of ethics that I am not sure about and would like your input. I have an almost restored C10 and have entered and won several car shows in the Dallas area. My question is what class to enter to be politically correct. The chassis, engine, transmission, drum brakes, spring suspension, steering, etc are 68. The front clip and bumper is 70. The cab VIN comes back as 72. Should I enter into the 60-70 trucks based on the majority of the parts or the 70-80 class based on the VIN? I have always entered by the VIN but the last show I entered in the 68 class and won. I wasn't sure if I should feel bad or not.
Thanks,
JB
Your last sentences say's it all. You have answered your own question. If you doubt your choice then it's more than likely the wrong one.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 04:55 PM   #18
Sicklajoie
The Niner

These are very good words to live by.
This past year I went to 97 cruise nights/car shows with the 69'er, racking up over 6000 miles in the process.
I never stay by my truck. I don't like to toot my own horn or even talk about my truck. I let the vehicle speak for itself. I like going around and taking pictures (I have site on hotrodhotline.com) and BS'ing with people.
I've been very fortunate to get a lot of trophies with my truck in the 5+ years I've had it. But I never, NEVER go there expecting to win anything. If I do, I'm very appreciative of it. Let's face it, these shows are basically just beauty contests.
There's nothing worse than seeing a grown man huff and puff and stomp up and down because they didn't get a $10 trophy. And believe me, I've seen my share. It's pretty sad.
Attached Images

Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:04 PM   #19
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

This is why I don't take my truck to shows. Having to bear the burden of guilt for winning....And I'd have to put up another shed to house all the trophies.

Seriously though, I always thought what the title(cab) says is the model year regardless of mods or changes. But it's an interesting question. What if you had a Johnny Cash 49-73 caddy? What class do you put it in?

1971 GMC Sierra Grande 2WD 1/2 ton, 350/400 auto
2008 Chevy Silverado 2WD 1/2 ton LT1 5.3L auto
71sierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:36 PM   #20
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Titled as a 72? VIN on cab is 72? Personally, I'd enter it as a 72.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote