The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2015, 05:36 PM   #1
kenny4454

Column shifter issue

The column shifter on my 67 C10 will no go all the way from Park to L1. I have gone under the truck with someone in the drivers seat and adjusted the linkage to transmission. When doing this I still don't get the full range of gears it seems to always be off 1 gear. I can either get Park and not L1, or I get L1 and not Park. Has anyone experienced this issue before, or know what might be causing it? Everything else with column and shifting seems fine. It would just be nice to be able to get this working properly.
kenny4454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:58 PM   #2
Gromit

Re: Column shifter issue

Only thing that comes to mind at the moment is perhaps the 1/2" diameter lower bushing (in the linkage under the cab) is worn or missing? I'm thinking that would only produce 1/4" of play but actually that distance might get multiplied at the upper (in cab) shift lever.

Dorman Help part 14041 may fit to help reduce the play though I have not tried that kit... it just looks like it contains parts that are about the right size.

I did measure the hole in the lower shift lever in my '70 C10 with TH350 (where one of the bushings go) and it needed a 1/2" OD bushing with I think a 1/4" ID

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MTM0/14041.oap
Attached Images

Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:32 PM   #3
kenny4454

Thanks Gromit. Do you think having this extra play would no allow me to have the full range to shift into all the gears? I am trying to wrap my head around it and wondering if it would do that, or cause the opposite effect and allow to much range within the shifter (go further past P, or L1 depending on the adjustment)

It's not that I have too much play, its that the shifter comes to a hard stop and I can get it into L1 (when I adjust from Park), or I can get into Park if I adjust from L1. Currently I have it adjusted from Park, since I rather be able to get into park then L1. I haven't been able to figure out why I don't have the full range (park through L1)

Last edited by kenny4454; 12-03-2015 at 10:42 PM.
kenny4454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:25 PM   #4
Gromit

Sorry I can't think of a logical reason for that condition; I am definitely not the best one on this site to be asking about transmission linkage; must be thousands of other members here who can visualize the entire assembly in their sleep..

Well, maybe this will spark something - here is a photo of the linkage I saved taken by another member on this forum; you can see the factory version of that bushing I mentioned next to the cotter pin in the photo - this bushing looks different than the Dorman Help! nylon version.. probably better to get the factory one if possible.

If you don't think it is a bushing - the only other thought I can offer is (if it has been a while since you changed your transmission fluid) you could pull the transmission pan off and since you can see the operation of the "rooster comb" shift control inside the trans with the pan off and with someone in the cab operating the shift lever while you watch that part ratcheting from under the truck - you could at least rule out that your problem is in the trans part of the shifter itself. You would just look to verify that each detent on the rooster comb is engagable on its stop.
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2015, 11:31 PM   #5
Gromit

Wait a sec - aren't there two bushings? - the one I was thinking of is where the long lever attaches to the lower shift lever (at the far left of the photo I just sent).

Anyway; since those bushings wear out and are cheap; I'd try replacing them or at least inspecting them since the alternative might be a visit to the local transmission shop..
Old 12-04-2015, 11:38 AM   #6
snipescastle2

Talking Re: Column shifter issue

Not to hijack the thread, but since we are discussing column shifter issues, I noticed that my detent plate, the part that "rachets" as you select the gears, is very worn, I doubt anyone has a replacement part for that, but has anyone encountered this, and what was the remedy?
Thanks,
Ben
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote