The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #26
JVictor75
Maintenance Man

Re: Got a story of a car you "loved and lost" or sold? Or found ... years later?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffg1010 View Post
I have come across a few VERY cool stories, but I am still looking for a couple more, so TTT!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Sounds like this video:

http://devour.com/video/my-dads-car/
JVictor75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #27
jeffg1010

Re: Got a story of a car you "loved and lost" or sold? Or found ... years later?

Yeah, I've gotten to know them. Great story and it will be included in the book with a bit more detail.
Posted via Mobile Device
1986 C30 Crewcab - 63K original miles, original paint

Members I have met: mikey531, gcburdic, bashed, burbman69, TonyPieras, Blazester, GCncsuHD, custombuilt67-72, tsnow678, highrpm, PanelDeland, tanman722001, 47thriftmaster, babyblueoval, 68stepbed, JesseWebb, Andy4639, xs-style, TobyArnot, BigOrange, frednoah, brn_agn, k5hart, Graham57a, bhelton, AJohn6, SilverC10, 69CST, '71 Flame, RaceAGMC, Liz, Josh, MattPSU, 68corvair, Chevy350V8, mdeal, ccrorymc, mrhurt73, dmxxpert, Custom68, 84GMC, BionicABs1, BigBlockBurris, Ebfabman, ATP...
jeffg1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:23 PM   #28
jeffg1010

Thought I'd bump this back TTT since my deadline is looming. I'd love to hear your story if youve got a cool one. There is still room for a few more!

Members I have met: mikey531, gcburdic, bashed, burbman69, TonyPieras, Blazester, GCncsuHD, custombuilt67-72, tsnow678, highrpm, PanelDeland, tanman722001, 47thriftmaster, babyblueoval, 68stepbed, JesseWebb, Andy4639, xs-style, TobyArnot, BigOrange, frednoah, brn_agn, k5hart, Graham57a, bhelton, AJohn6, SilverC10, 69CST, '71 Flame, RaceAGMC, Liz, Josh, MattPSU, 68corvair, Chevy350V8, mdeal, ccrorymc, mrhurt73, dmxxpert, Custom68, 84GMC, BionicABs1, BigBlockBurris, Ebfabman, ATP...
Old 10-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #29
rcbildr

I kinda have one relating to the 1960 GMC 1/2ton I just bought. When we picked up the GMC a woman stopped by to tell us that her 3 yr old has a love obsession with the truck and would be sad to see it go. I told her after I get it reliably on the road I would take her for a ride in it with one of her parents. So she took my girlfriend's number and called her a few days ago. They will be meeting us at the Beater Brunch...a car show my friend puts on for project cars. She also told me that they are currently trying to find their daughter her own truck, but she doesn't want any of them...it has to be the GMC I bought, and nothhing else will do. The things these old vehicles do to us and our children. I feel kinda bad for buying the truck. I'm going to surprise her and have a friend paint her name on the front driver side fender...my GMC is now named Sara after the little girl. I can't wait to see the look on her face.

Here's the truck:
1967 Suburban 1/2ton 2wd

My Girlfriends Projects
1985 Chevy Suburban 3/4ton 4x4 with 6.2L diesel, 4" lift, converted to TH-400, Warn Premium manual hubs, & Wildcat 315/75/R16 tires. (daily driver)
1978 Camaro Type LT with a Marine 350 & vortec heads, Rochester Carb, & roller cam
1978 Camaro Z28
rcbildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #30
chevytrucknut61

i know this is past but when I was 15 my Father passed away. He was building us (my brothers and sisters and I ) a 66 Chevelle SS for a school car. That was 1976, My mom gave the car to my stoner brother. He then moved to Missouri and completely trashed it and I never got to ride in it. Also Dad had a 63 Ford truck with a 327 in it. Mom sold it to my brother in law who crashed it and pulled the engine out to put in something else. Of all cars We have had in the family those are the ones that hurt me the most. Soon it will be 36 years ago.
chevytrucknut61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:13 AM   #31
gearys 5600

Those are some cool stories..

In 1986 I traded my Mint, low mile 1971 ss 454 chevelle for a 1983 swb chevy truck... I still kick myself for that one..

1969 custom/10 swb--SOLD
1968 swb 50th anniv.--SOLD
1967 camaro ss/rs..LS-6-speed, 16-year long project
1956 chevy nomad
1955 chevy 210 2-dr sedan
1978 el-camino ss 1-owner
gearys 5600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:33 AM   #32
BrutonLS1

When I was about 6 years old my Dad had a 1970 Buick Skylark with a 455. He had it all hot-rodded out. It was a deep, dark ,aggressive green color. He always took me for rides and stuff and would do donuts (when he was younger and more wild!). When I was 8 years old the army stationed us to Ft.Carson Colorado and we moved from Texas. When we were there in Colorado he traded it for a Honda Gold wing and had regretted it ever since. After being stationed in several other States, and Europe, and him being deployed several times, we finally moved back to our home town in Texas over a decade later. One day him and I went out to eat and we stopped at a gas station to get gas, and sure enough that same exact skylark pulled up on the other side of the pump, with the same guy he traded it to driving it. They talked for about 15 minutes, my dad had a smile from ear to ear, but when that guy drove off I knew it was hard for him to watch.

Pretty crazy. What are the odds?! a decade later and 1,000 miles away.
BrutonLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:35 AM   #33
BrutonLS1

here it is
Attached Images

BrutonLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:32 AM   #34
sethv

I have sold my K10 3 times to the same guy and ended up buying it back all 3 times. The second time I sold it though, he told me that he was thinking about parting it out, since a buddy of his needed a frame. Thought it was history, until the beginning of June he texted me and asked if I wanted it back

Won't be selling it again anytime soon though
sethv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:58 PM   #35
Rochlow

Kick myself in the ass daily for the last three years for trading this for a P.O.S. blazer..
Posted via Mobile Device
Rochlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:38 PM   #36
dan42

When I was 15 growing up in Southern California, my brother in law made surfboards for a living and of course had Volkswagons. He had a '57 bug with the rollback sunroof from the factory - had the factory black paint. He said he was going to give it to me when I was 16, and the sucker sold it two months later for $200. I also had a fifty-five first series five window with an original chrome grill in original condition except for the paint. The motor had never been removed and still had the original paint - the truck had around 60,000 miles on it, and I sold it to my brother's father in law, like an idiot, for $5500. He died 6 years ago, but his wife still has it, and my brother will probably end up with it. She may put 30 miles on it a year. I wish I had that one back more than any other, but I think it's too sentimental for her to part with right now.
Posted via Mobile Device
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #37
fanmanj

In 1971 My mom and dad purchased my mom's first car. One green 1970 Chevelle SS396, TH400, black interior, cowl induction hood (my Mom fondly remembers 'that thingy on the hood that would pop up when you stepped on the gas"). They traded it in a year or so later on.... a BRAND NEW, toyota....... ugh. I'd love to find that exact car and restore it for my Mom.
My first car (2001 or thereabouts) was a all original 1964 Chevy II, 4 door, 48,000 mi on the clock, 194 I-6, 3OTT, poverty caps and all. Wish I had that one back, the love of a POS '87 Z28 made me sell her...
I also had a 1957 Bel-air 4 door post.. car was a basket case, rot and bondo everywhere, but it was originally a 265 3OTT car, Black, red/black interior, beautiful car in my mind. But, trying to repair all the damage on a 16 year old's budget wasn't gonna happen.
2008 Buick Enclave CXL
3.6 VVT, 6spd auto.
PAINFULLY stock... (wife's ride)
fanmanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #38
cdowns

well went to a local small carshow near the supermarket today/// was a ratty lil modelA roadster sittin there so i started lookin at it and took awhile but after talkin to the guy for awhile i realized that 25years ago i and a friend(now passed) had spent part of our winter throw that car together out of our spare parts stash to help finance both of our ongoing projects at the time
while working on it we named it the cuckarocha

strange 25years later and 1500miles away to see that old beast surface again beat to death but still ridin down the road as a proud old rod
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:39 PM   #39
jeffg1010

Thought I would bump this back to the top. I am over deadline, but I had a great story from Brazil and a Chevelle in WV that slowed me down. I am still on track to get this in to the publisher sometime soon! Anybody else got a contribution?

Old 01-16-2013, 12:39 AM   #40
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
well went to a local small carshow near the supermarket today/// was a ratty lil modelA roadster sittin there so i started lookin at it and took awhile but after talkin to the guy for awhile i realized that 25years ago i and a friend(now passed) had spent part of our winter throw that car together out of our spare parts stash to help finance both of our ongoing projects at the time
while working on it we named it the cuckarocha

strange 25years later and 1500miles away to see that old beast surface again beat to death but still ridin down the road as a proud old rod
Clyde,,this story is priceless,, this day near the supermarket will be on your mind for some time ,like opening a time cell or something.. good for you ..
Old 04-24-2013, 11:25 PM   #41
jeffg1010

Wanted to bump this back to the top. Since my deadline had passed, I decided to wait until my wife finished her master's degree (which takes up 90% of our life right now), so I could have her edit each chapter before I submit it. She has 12 days left until she's done with school, so my project has been revived.

I just secured my domain name for a teaser website that is being developed, and I have a Facebook page being developed, so there will be some news on a release date coming soon.

Let's hear your stories! If anybody has a car that they've loved, lost, then located and bought years later. Share them here! I also may be sending a PM to folks who have mentioned their stories on here to get more info.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:59 PM   #42
camaro_red

When I was a kid (13) my brother had a 51 GMC P/U , It was jet black and super nice with lots of stuff chrome plated...I loved cruising in that old truck..I was mostly stock with the original 6cyl engine ..Minor mods included a set of chrome spoked wheels, some T/A's and a white padded tonneau cover,door panels and head liner...2 years ago and now almost 50 running my own carwash here in PG I'm standing at the pay window when a dark blue 51 GMC pulls up...I'm telling the guy how my brother had one years ago and how nice a body it had ...we talk a little more and I mentioned it was mostly stock but that it had a white padded tonneau cover, headliner and door panels ....Then the guys asks me to step out and take a look inside...there it was, the white padded headliner and door panels..I couldn't believe my eyes..I hadn't seen the truck in over 35 years...I asked if the truck was for sale and he says that's why he brought it down to wash it up, it had been parked for years and he needed to sell it to raise cash for a move back East...I took his number and proceeded to call my bro with the news...Unable to get ahold of my brother that night I left a message and I called the guy the next day to get some pics and a firm price on the truck....That's when he gives me the bad news....Well I guess he went drinking that night and ended up rolling the truck into the ditch on a windy road back to his home...Off the road, rolled twice and into the trees and no insurance to cover it....Truck was beyond repair...Sad but true story on how a nice truck almost came back to my bro... : (
camaro_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:28 AM   #43
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Did you need anymore info from me?
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #44
russgoodman

One of my good friends/college roommate/co-worker has a good story but it turned out bad for them.

His dad special ordered a 70 ram air IV Gto Judge. He was serving in Vietnam and was on break (can't remember the military term) back over here for either Christmas or Thanksgiving break. The dealer opened up on the actual holiday just so he could get the car. He traded a 67 Gto in on it. Atoll blue, cream interior, 4 speed - turned out to be pretty rare since most of the blue cars had black interior.

He came back after the war, had a bunch of fun with the car. Floated a valve and had some warranty work on the engine. Had to have a head and maybe even the block replaced.

Got married. Had a Grand prix and pickup in 1977 and didn't need the Judge, sold it to his best friend. The friend sold it sometime in the 80s, but bought it back about 6 months later.

The friend kept it in a shack in the middle of Cache, OK and nobody even knew. Pretty much just sat for years and years. He promised that it would go to my friend and his brother when he passed away so they could have their dad's car.

Guy has a heart attack and dies unexpectedly probably 2 years ago. Daughters said if dad wanted those boys to have that car, then its fine with us.

One of the son-in-laws buddies gets in his ear and tells him you can't give that car away, its worth a bunch of money. That son-in-law and daughter end up with it in the Oklahoma City area, put it on ebay, and end up selling it (think they actually ended the auction early to sell it to a collector).

I had a bad feeling the whole time that they would never get that car back. When we graduated from pharmacy school, my friend and his mom made the guy a really nice offer for it, but he wouldn't take any money for it because he wanted to give it to them like he promised. Lesson learned - write that kind of stuff in your will.

Car is in Dallas and the collector has tried to get it concours. Bought date coded matching wheels, distributor, etc. He lists it on ebay for $92,000. I contact him explaining that I knew the original owner, he was interested in the car, but couldn't pay that. He says he can take $89,500 for the original owner. Needless to say the car stayed put. Not sure if he ever sold it or not.

Sad thing is the boys didn't want the car because it had the potential to be valuable, really valuable. They wanted it because it was their dad's car.

One good thing is that in 1988 the dad picked up a gold 67 Gto and restored it to red/white top like he traded in on the Judge. The boys grew up racing the car. Original 400 got tired, my friend built a 455 for it by himself as a jr in high school that lasted from 1999-2009 without even a refresh and was still going strong when they pulled it. Put a IA-2 Jim Butler motor in it and some NO2 and its running mid 10s now. This one won't ever be sold - and at least the boys will have 1 of their dads cars.

Here's the expired ebay listing of the current owner and a link to 133 pics he has of the car

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-...orcev4exp=true

http://www.demesy.com/graphics/ftp-e...dge/index.html
Attached Images

2008 GMC Sierra Denali - 6.2L AWD - my daily
2011 Ford Flex Limited - Ecoboost AWD - wife's daily
1987 Buick Regal Turbo T - 63K miles - Strip/Street car
1965 Ford Mustang Coupe - 289, c4, 53K miles

Last edited by russgoodman; 04-25-2013 at 12:42 PM.
russgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #45
jeffg1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_red View Post
When I was a kid (13) my brother had a 51 GMC P/U , It was jet black and super nice with lots of stuff chrome plated...I loved cruising in that old truck..I was mostly stock with the original 6cyl engine ..Minor mods included a set of chrome spoked wheels, some T/A's and a white padded tonneau cover,door panels and head liner...2 years ago and now almost 50 running my own carwash here in PG I'm standing at the pay window when a dark blue 51 GMC pulls up...I'm telling the guy how my brother had one years ago and how nice a body it had ...we talk a little more and I mentioned it was mostly stock but that it had a white padded tonneau cover, headliner and door panels ....Then the guys asks me to step out and take a look inside...there it was, the white padded headliner and door panels..I couldn't believe my eyes..I hadn't seen the truck in over 35 years...I asked if the truck was for sale and he says that's why he brought it down to wash it up, it had been parked for years and he needed to sell it to raise cash for a move back East...I took his number and proceeded to call my bro with the news...Unable to get ahold of my brother that night I left a message and I called the guy the next day to get some pics and a firm price on the truck....That's when he gives me the bad news....Well I guess he went drinking that night and ended up rolling the truck into the ditch on a windy road back to his home...Off the road, rolled twice and into the trees and no insurance to cover it....Truck was beyond repair...Sad but true story on how a nice truck almost came back to my bro... : (
Wow, that's crazy. Do you have any pics of the truck from "back in the day"? Did the guy ever send you pics of the truck after it was rolled? While it sucks, it is a good story. We may have to talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
Did you need anymore info from me?
Posted via Mobile Device
Has there been any updates on your truck's story? Ran across any old photos since we last talked. You are one of 3 that I think I have enough info from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russgoodman View Post
One of my good friends/college roommate/co-worker has a good story but it turned out bad for them.

His dad special ordered a 70 ram air IV Gto Judge. He was serving in Vietnam and was on break (can't remember the military term) back over here for either Christmas or Thanksgiving break. The dealer opened up on the actual holiday just so he could get the car. He traded a 67 Gto in on it. Atoll blue, cream interior, 4 speed - turned out to be pretty rare since most of the blue cars had black interior.

He came back after the war, had a bunch of fun with the car. Floated a valve and had some warranty work on the engine. Had to have a head and maybe even the block replaced.

Got married. Had a Grand prix and pickup in 1977 and didn't need the Judge, sold it to his best friend. The friend sold it sometime in the 80s, but bought it back about 6 months later.

The friend kept it in a shack in the middle of Cache, OK and nobody even knew. Pretty much just sat for years and years. He promised that it would go to my friend and his brother when he passed away so they could have their dad's car.

Guy has a heart attack and dies unexpectedly probably 2 years ago. Daughters said if dad wanted those boys to have that car, then its fine with us.

One of the son-in-laws buddies gets in his ear and tells him you can't give that car away, its worth a bunch of money. That son-in-law and daughter end up with it in the Oklahoma City area, put it on ebay, and end up selling it (think they actually ended the auction early to sell it to a collector).

I had a bad feeling the whole time that they would never get that car back. When we graduated from pharmacy school, my friend and his mom made the guy a really nice offer for it, but he wouldn't take any money for it because he wanted to give it to them like he promised. Lesson learned - write that kind of stuff in your will.

Car is in Dallas and the collector has tried to get it concours. Bought date coded matching wheels, distributor, etc. He lists it on ebay for $92,000. I contact him explaining that I knew the original owner, he was interested in the car, but couldn't pay that. He says he can take $89,500 for the original owner. Needless to say the car stayed put. Not sure if he ever sold it or not.

Sad thing is the boys didn't want the car because it had the potential to be valuable, really valuable. They wanted it because it was their dad's car.

One good thing is that in 1988 the dad picked up a gold 67 Gto and restored it to red/white top like he traded in on the Judge. The boys grew up racing the car. Original 400 got tired, my friend built a 455 for it by himself as a jr in high school that lasted from 1999-2009 without even a refresh and was still going strong when they pulled it. Put a IA-2 Jim Butler motor in it and some NO2 and its running mid 10s now. This one won't ever be sold - and at least the boys will have 1 of their dads cars.

Here's the expired ebay listing of the current owner and a link to 133 pics he has of the car

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-...orcev4exp=true

http://www.demesy.com/graphics/ftp-e...dge/index.html
Man, that SUCKS! Great story... almost. What a jerk that guy was going against the old mans wishes. Karma's a b#$@h though. Maybe one day. I may try to work that story in. I thought I had a good GTO story but I ran into a dead end on the lead.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #46
camaro_red

[QUOTE=jeffg1010;6034171]Wow, that's crazy. Do you have any pics of the truck from "back in the day"? Did the guy ever send you pics of the truck after it was rolled? While it sucks, it is a good story. We may have to talk.

No pics that I know of...I didn't want to see the truck after it was wrecked...The body on that truck was amazingly straight and rust free...Black tells it all and it was super nice...
camaro_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #47
rambler
MOVE OVER

I have one,, will add more input later, but I remember the day my Dad returned from Germany, and bought a BRAND NEW 1971 chevy truck,, just basic, 3 on the tree, and green ( of course, ) I still remember the feeling riding in it, making faces in the side mirror. He kept this truck for over 25 years, and at that time, it was just a "old truck" but I always admired it, I remember even tinkering in it when I was a young driver.. lots of good stories on that truck,, well one day, he just "traded it in" for a newer one.. he is passed away now and would love to find it,, but to him it was just a old truck, but that truck started my love for all chevy trucks, primarly the 67-72 trucks, and I have my own, " just a old truck.. "
Old 04-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #48
jeffg1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutonLS1 View Post
When I was about 6 years old my Dad had a 1970 Buick Skylark with a 455. He had it all hot-rodded out. It was a deep, dark ,aggressive green color. He always took me for rides and stuff and would do donuts (when he was younger and more wild!). When I was 8 years old the army stationed us to Ft.Carson Colorado and we moved from Texas. When we were there in Colorado he traded it for a Honda Gold wing and had regretted it ever since. After being stationed in several other States, and Europe, and him being deployed several times, we finally moved back to our home town in Texas over a decade later. One day him and I went out to eat and we stopped at a gas station to get gas, and sure enough that same exact skylark pulled up on the other side of the pump, with the same guy he traded it to driving it. They talked for about 15 minutes, my dad had a smile from ear to ear, but when that guy drove off I knew it was hard for him to watch.

Pretty crazy. What are the odds?! a decade later and 1,000 miles away.
Did you guys swap contact info with this guy. Im not sure how I missed this story before.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #49
SCHRUMGMC

Wow these stories are incredible beyond belief
Old 04-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #50
AntiGov

sorry not a truck or story you can use but my step grandfather bought a full dress Harley (not sure the model) in 59 or 60 blue and white. he burned a valve and it sat for awhile until my dad came home from the army on leave in 1964. He tore it down but wasnt able to get it back together before returning to the army.....49 years later it still sits apart in that tiny single car garage at my step grandfathers house.
AntiGov is offline   Reply With Quote