The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
jalopy13

Arrow Drop too much or just right???

Hey whats going on guys, i just have a couple quick questions. I have an 86 c10, and its already lowered i believe 3' in the front with just the drop coils and the rear has the drop shackles and hangers. It sits pretty good, but i want it lower, so im going to get spindles and shocks for the front and then was thinking flip kit and notch for the rear. My question is will i have to do anything major in the front and do you think the flip kit with the hangers etc is going to be too much? Any helpful advice will be much appreciated, and maybe share some photos of where yours is sitting! Thanks fellas!
jalopy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:32 AM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: Drop too much or just right???

Your plans are a bit of out whack.

Adding the spindles in the front will get you either 2.5 or 3 inches lower depending on which brand you choose. Thats a good idea and will work well. Just make sure you're using a tire and wheel combination that can tolerate going lower without fouling the fenders or fender wells.

In the rear though is where you plan is a bit suspect. You already have a 4 inch drop with the shackles and hangers. If you do a flip, you're going to go an additional 5 inches down. That's a full 9 inches drop. You'll have to notch the frame a bunch to get any clearance and the end result is that it will be too low. If you like the current stance, you're gong the wrong way doing this. You'll be a good bit lower in the back than in the front.

The best option in my opinion is to reinstall the stock shackles and hangers and then do a flip kit. That will get you lower in the rear but not too low. If, when complete, you still want it a bit lower in the rear to tune your stance, add just the drop shackle back which will allow you to drop it a further inch or two depending on which hole you use in the shackle.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:27 AM   #3
Square_78

My flip kit on my 78 got me 8" down from stock. I did start with 3/4 ton leafs tho and removed 3 ( leaving 5) to make it ride softer. Needs a notch for sure. Basicly riding on the trimmed bump stops.
Posted via Mobile Device

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
jalopy13

Ok yeah i appreciate your guys's input. Yeah the front is down pretty low now but i want another 2.5-3" for sure. And yeah the rear is where i had the biggest concern, cause the truck already had these shackles on it and i just wanted some input on those. I think i may do the flip kit and just move the leafs to another hole in the shackles. Thanks again, anybody have some pics?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

To add to this, your probably not going to like the front when your done. My experience has been that 3" springs do not work well with spindles. They tend to bottom out causing a harsh ride. I suggest the spindles combined with a coil cut from a stock spring, or a 2" drop spring.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
jalopy13

ok, heres an update, i got ahold of the guy i bought the truck from and he said he put spindles and 3" drop coils on it, and the rear just has the shackles. How can i achieve another inch or so in the front and a couple in the rear? Also would a set of drop shocks for the front help any?
Old 04-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #7
Slow Build

I think you need to show us some pictures at this point so we can check the current stance. Your truck would have a pretty big rake if it's set up like your describing it.
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Slow Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
jalopy13

Sorry, i meant to post some the other day, heres the only ones i have saved on here now! Thanks
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #9
chevyrestoguy

I can't tell from the pictures, but what is the tire size in the front? If you're running a tall tire in the front, a shorter tire may get you at the height you want.

With drop spindles and a lowering coil already installed in the front, you're getting close to being as low as you can get without spending a bunch on a custom front suspension (i.e: Dropmember). The BIGGEST concern for any '63-'87 truck lowered more than 5" in the front is the lower control arms. They hang lower than anything else on the front suspension, and you'll bang those things on everything if you don't drive carefully. Tubular arms will help a little bit, but they don't solve the issue. There's lots of threads on this site concerning sectioning crossmembers and Z'ing frames because of this exact issue.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #10
jalopy13

It has 225/70's in the front and 255/70's in the rear. Thanks for the advice. And I was thinking about that tire combo yesterday, but on that same note i dont want to have a bunch of wheel well space either, i had a 205 on there before and there was just too much gap in the front. i like the wheel wells too be filled as much as possible. thanks again.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
Slow Build

Do you have any better pictures? All I can see is a big black hole where the front wheel is supposed to be. Some detailed suspension pictures would also help. I think you need to do a little more research on your suspension. The way you describe it there is no way it would sit that level.
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Slow Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #12
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

That's absolutely lower in the back than just a rear shackle. Something else is going on to get it down like that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote