The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2007, 09:28 AM   #1
Gary

05 Yukon 5.3L - sensor testing?

Got a CEL and had Oreilly's pull the code, "coolant temperature too low" or something like that. Idiot gauge says it runs around 180F so surely that's not too low? So I'm guessing coolant temperature sensor failure? How do I test it to be sure? Don't want to replace something what ain't broke.

It's the sensor on the driver side head right? Going by this diagram #7:

http://www.worldwidecamaroclub.com/pdf/engine.pdf

I assume when I pull that sensor out I'm gonna lose coolant right (assuming the sensor is bad and the cause for my code)?
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
68 short step

Re: 05 Yukon 5.3L - sensor testing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixiesys View Post
Got a CEL and had Oreilly's pull the code, "coolant temperature too low" or something like that. Idiot gauge says it runs around 180F so surely that's not too low? So I'm guessing coolant temperature sensor failure? How do I test it to be sure? Don't want to replace something what ain't broke.

It's the sensor on the driver side head right? Going by this diagram #7:

http://www.worldwidecamaroclub.com/pdf/engine.pdf

I assume when I pull that sensor out I'm gonna lose coolant right (assuming the sensor is bad and the cause for my code)?
do you have the code #, i dont think it was "coolent temp. too low", mabey "coolent level too low"????? if so thats a relativly common problem, and the sensor in the upper portion of the radiator is probley caked with build up........and needs to be replaced, but before you do anything look at the coolent level....
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:56 PM   #3
Gary

Re: 05 Yukon 5.3L - sensor testing?

It was definitely a temperature warning not a level warning, had it said anything about level I'da got that $17.99 coolant level sensor for the overflow tank since it's definitely full of fluid
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote