The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2015, 12:51 AM   #1
zibs71

ignition wire

I encountered a slight problem. Driving home the other day and truck stalls out of the blue like dead turn key no pwr. Almost like i didnt have a battery in it. I get it towed home to mt garage. Thank God for AMA lol. Anyhow I put in a fuseable link to make sure i have no issues as I'd rather burn fuses than have a fire. My question is i ran it direct ( You'll see by pictures) there was a battery junction box of passenger side which i by passed. Can i do this permanent or no? I actually didnt take a picture and now im not sure how it goes back together. Can someone show me how this goes please.

zibs71
Attached Images

zibs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:42 AM   #2
zibs71

Re: ignition wire

Anyone?

Zibs71
Old 05-24-2015, 12:33 PM   #3
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Your wiring is basically the same as the factory except that you don't show the ammeter wire incorporated with the fusible link, and your battery is shown with the positive nearest the radiator. This doesn't matter as long as the wires are correct and they will reach. If you have the light dash without the gauges you won't have the small ammeter wire. It is also called the battery gauge.

Here is the diagram of the wiring circuit for the fusible link as the factory installed it.

Name:  ammetershunt.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  36.3 KB

One thing that puzzles me is that you say the truck just quit and wouldn't start. Did it start as soon as you replaced the link? I ask because the alternator should have continued to run the truck although it may have started overcharging if the link blew unless it killed the ignition.

Did you find out why the link blew?

here's a picture of the connection.

Name:  HPIM3238 (1024x768).jpg
Views: 113
Size:  37.9 KB

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.

Last edited by VetteVet; 05-24-2015 at 12:52 PM.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:10 PM   #4
zibs71

Thanķ you so much for the info. I had a fuseable link I had hooked up directly to battery not through the junction box. When my truck quit it wouldn't start . I tried another fuse since it blew the 20 amp I had in it and all it did was blow as soon as I put in. The only thing I can think of is the ignition wire as i call it was shorting out somewhere. So I replaced the wire right from the (box) that plugs into the firewall. Ran to wire directly to + on battery with fuseable link and a 30 amp fuse . I drove it about 2 miles and seems kk. Can I leave it hooked up this way or not. I'm not sure.

zibs71
Old 05-24-2015, 11:08 PM   #5
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

If you ran the red wire from the firewall junction block all the way to the positive battery terminal and left the red wire from the junction bolt on the right fender disconnected from the battery then the alternator will not charge the battery nor will it run anything on the truck and the battery will soon be dead.

I suspect that the voltage regulator is stuck closed or shorted to ground which would blow the fusible link. If you look at the junction in the diagram I posted you can see how the alternator, battery, and the cab wires join. This allowss the battery and the alternator to feed the truck circuits and also allows the alternator to charge the battery via the red wire that goes back across the radiator to the junction bolt on the right fender, where it joins the fusible link to connect the battery into the circuit.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:42 AM   #6
zibs71

Vettevet

thanks again for the info. Im starting to understand this better. Im no mechanic in any way lol. I like learning this stuff. Now to the voltage regulator. It kinda makes a whinning sound. Now if i unplug it my truck should still run off the alternator or no? In fact i unplugged it for abit and ran kk . Question is is it required i have it on my truck . Im not understanding how it ran when not plugged in?

Zibs71