The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2016, 07:55 PM   #1
bateman

FNG searching for a gas tank

I have a 2001 GMC reg. cab/short bed Z71 and my gas tank is shot and will not pass my state emissions. The steel ring in the top of the tank that locks the fuel pump in place is rusted and air leaks in. GMC not longer makes the gas tanks for the reg. cab/short bed and I have been unable to find anything used locally. Ideas????? Thanks.
bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:00 PM   #2
Flying Hamster

Re: FNG searching for a gas tank

clear your check engine code. Fill your tank. drive the truck a couple days, to reset all the self-checks. Keep the tank as close to full as possible. When the tank is nearly full, (above about 7/8 or so) the computer doesn't check the evap system. As long as all your other sensors/self checks are good you won't have the check engine light on. At least in NY. they won't catch this.
Of course this assumes you aren't leaking fuel out of the ring or thru holes in the tank.
Flying Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:34 AM   #3
bateman

Re: FNG searching for a gas tank

Thanks for the info Flying Hamster. After replacing the fuel pump about 6 weeks ago the check engine light came on and I checked it and erased it. By the time that tank of gas was almost gone the check engine message popped up again and I cleared it. It's been about 3 tanks of gas and over a month since it has come on. I suspected that a full tank minimized the air so I appreciate your opinion on that. Got about a year until my next emissions check. I appreciate the feed back. Take care Flying Hamster from Batman.
Attached Images

bateman is offline   Reply With Quote