The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2017, 10:23 AM   #1
WB72
Before and After

Painting cab in stages

I am going to be priming then painting my cab inside and out. I don’t have the ability to do it all at once, so I will need to do it in stages.

I have a cradle that my cab sits on and I have an overhead crane that I can hang it from temporarily.

I was thinking that I should do it in this order:
Hang the cab, spray the bottom outside and firewall.
Set it back on the cradle.
Spray the inside, then the door jams and window openings.
Mask the inside and firewall.
Spray the exterior. (paint will be sprayed at the same time as the rest of he body panels but I want the primer and interior done prior to aligning panels and painting)

For those with experience with this, is this a smart way of doing this. I am estemating this will take 3 days for me to do simply because I need to work on it during spare time only and I have to allow time to dry prior to the next area of spray.

I will be working with epoxy primer and then single stage paint for the colour.
66,000 miles.
Alberta, CANADA
WB72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:30 PM   #2
notsolo

Cool Re: Painting cab in stages

Working on simular break down. Alternate method...Mine needed all new rubber parts and the rest was filthy, motor shot...but body in pretty good condition. Removed hood, fenders, rad- support, doors....bed off on to cart..motor, trans out, down to Bare frame. Except cab, Layed 4x4 on frame then 4 x8 sheet of plywood behind cab, Layed cab on its back, glass is also out. Cleaned bottom of cab, roof and drip rail and top of dash and inside cab roof, sprayed epoxy primer , base coat and urethane undercoat, spraying all horizontal....You need to mask off everything several different times to keep everything as clean as possible, over spray, dust etc.....maybe not the best way but that's my story.......good luck.....Ed.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:52 PM   #3
B. W.

Re: Painting cab in stages

I like the idea of being able to move the cab around to work on it. There is a forum member (name?) that has plans for a cab dolly that allows you to "flip" the cab on it's front/back/side. From the pics it looks pretty slick.

I agree with you on your order of painting. Shooting the bottom first allow you to get warmed up & the gun dialed in. I don't paint much, takes me a little time to get dialed in. (usually about the time I finish)
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:38 PM   #4
sprint_9

Re: Painting cab in stages

I flipped mine on the firewall and did the bottom. Let it cure out for a week and now have it on my cart. I'm priming it all at one time. Once all the priming is done in going to paint the interior. Then mask that off, sand off any overspray and do the outside.
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote