The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2017, 01:50 PM   #1
682XLR8

Looking at a '69 GMC

Good Morning all, new member here! Been lurking long enough, figured it's time to join up

I've owned a number of GM vehicles in the past so I'm already somewhat familiar with them...restored a 68 Camaro, owned an 84 GMC 1/2 ton with a TPI conversion, and currently own a 68 Vette (member of the Corvette Forum also)....latest project is my buddies 64 Impala SS (502 GM crate motor, 700R4, 9" Ford, Wilwoods all around, car is in the paint shop now, hopefully ready in time for Hot August Nights), and now I'm in the market for another truck. I have so far narrowed my choices down to 62-72, short bed, fleet or step, just depends on what I can find locally...plans for a truck would include another motor (maybe a big block ), 700R4, 2/4 drop w/ disc brakes, suspension upgrades, wheels/tires, you guys get the picture haha

Found this rig here on craigslist

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/6070129260.html

Truck looks good in the pics, I'm going to go look at it this weekend but my one concern is in the last pic in the ad, the rust above the door....anyone ever seen this? I'm guessing water collected on the lip just above the door and rusted through
Also, where else should I look for rust? I know that fenders behind the wheels, bottom of the doors, and cab corners can be trouble spots, what about the floors? Any other issues I should keep an eye out for?
Thanks in advance
-Randy
682XLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:16 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Looking at a '69 GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 682XLR8 View Post
Good Morning all, new member here! Been lurking long enough, figured it's time to join up

I've owned a number of GM vehicles in the past so I'm already somewhat familiar with them...restored a 68 Camaro, owned an 84 GMC 1/2 ton with a TPI conversion, and currently own a 68 Vette (member of the Corvette Forum also)....latest project is my buddies 64 Impala SS (502 GM crate motor, 700R4, 9" Ford, Wilwoods all around, car is in the paint shop now, hopefully ready in time for Hot August Nights), and now I'm in the market for another truck. I have so far narrowed my choices down to 62-72, short bed, fleet or step, just depends on what I can find locally...plans for a truck would include another motor (maybe a big block ), 700R4, 2/4 drop w/ disc brakes, suspension upgrades, wheels/tires, you guys get the picture haha

Found this rig here on craigslist

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/6070129260.html

Truck looks good in the pics, I'm going to go look at it this weekend but my one concern is in the last pic in the ad, the rust above the door....anyone ever seen this? I'm guessing water collected on the lip just above the door and rusted through
Also, where else should I look for rust? I know that fenders behind the wheels, bottom of the doors, and cab corners can be trouble spots, what about the floors? Any other issues I should keep an eye out for?
Thanks in advance
-Randy

Welcome to the board Randy.

It could be rust from salt water/air. Check all the way around the drip rail. Also check behind the visors and above the doors on the inside. If you see any rust or bubbles, that may be a problem. Take a good flashlight and a piece of cardboard big enough that you can slide under with and check the cab mounts, inner rockers, and floorboards from underneath. Check the inner fender panel and core support below the battery. They are usually rusted.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:31 PM   #3
682XLR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Welcome to the board Randy.

It could be rust from salt water/air. Check all the way around the drip rail. Also check behind the visors and above the doors on the inside. If you see any rust or bubbles, that may be a problem. Take a good flashlight and a piece of cardboard big enough that you can slide under with and check the cab mounts, inner rockers, and floorboards from underneath. Check the inner fender panel and core support below the battery. They are usually rusted.

LockDoc

OK thanks for the advice, I had planned on bringing a jack/jack stands with me anyway so I will check those areas you mentioned..this truck has been on CL for 26 days now, excessive rust could be the reason, I'll find out this weekend
Old 04-27-2017, 03:36 PM   #4
randy500
Account Suspended

I wish you luck on finding a nice truck, that one is not.

GMC deduct $1000 for the majority of buyers
Rust roof, deduct $1000, labor, parts and general hassle to fix
Stepsides in general are worth a lot less, most people, builders, and buyers are not into the short beds as step sides
Not a 71-2, deduct $1000

Plus, silver is a pretty rare color
Step sides never had front body trim
Wheels tires and rear bumper are terrible.
What truck has 2" exhaust???? that's terrible too.
The spot light is kind of cool but it 2 large holes in the cab that will need fixed which will require the windshield to be removed.

On the west coast you don't have to look at trucks with weird rust issues, its not the norm for them to be rusty like that, those in the mid west and east have to buy em like that.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:30 PM   #5
682XLR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
I wish you luck on finding a nice truck, that one is not.

GMC deduct $1000 for the majority of buyers
Rust roof, deduct $1000, labor, parts and general hassle to fix
Stepsides in general are worth a lot less, most people, builders, and buyers are not into the short beds as step sides
Not a 71-2, deduct $1000

Plus, silver is a pretty rare color
Step sides never had front body trim
Wheels tires and rear bumper are terrible.
What truck has 2" exhaust???? that's terrible too.
The spot light is kind of cool but it 2 large holes in the cab that will need fixed which will require the windshield to be removed.

On the west coast you don't have to look at trucks with weird rust issues, its not the norm for them to be rusty like that, those in the mid west and east have to buy em like that.

Thanks for your input, you bring up some good points

Step sides are popular here and I like them
I noticed the rear bumper and the puny exhaust, mechanical stuff that can be replaced...along with the wheels/tires
The rust is my main concern, weird how the truck rusted through the metal there and no place else, sounds like a lot of work to repair...still worth a look
Yeah the spotlight is cool but I would remove it anyway..didn't think about the work involved to repair the holes
Old 04-27-2017, 07:40 PM   #6
raggedjim

In my area, I'd buy it.

Good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:00 PM   #7
70cst

Hey 682XLR8 ...

to the forums and frm Ohio.

Not a bad truck.

As been said - look for rust in the rockers, and inside the cab - upper windshield area, roof rail. Check the SPID out.

Good Luck.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:24 AM   #8
682XLR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
Hey 682XLR8 ...

to the forums and frm Ohio.

Not a bad truck.

As been said - look for rust in the rockers, and inside the cab - upper windshield area, roof rail. Check the SPID out.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the welcome and for the advice! Will look at this rig in a couple more days and report back
Old 04-28-2017, 10:29 AM   #9
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

If you buy it, I would be interested in the spotlight. Check that roof really good. I have a feeling you'll find a lot more rust. Good luck and welcome to the site. I remember a thread about step sides with cab trim. I don't remember the details though.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote