The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2017, 05:23 PM   #1
bigwilley

1995 2 Door Tahoe. 182,000 Miles on it, Randomly dies and hard starts.

1995 2 Door Tahoe. 182,000 Miles on it. TBI. Replaced fuel pump 5 years ago. Tuned up last year. Full brakes last year (the drums were a b!tch) It has been a great rig for the last 10 years but in the last 4 months I have been having an on going random weirdness.

It runs fine, when it runs, but that is the issue. About 5 months ago, I started having it die randomly while driving. It would turn right back over if I put it in neutral while driving and turn it over. Then it started having issues starting, it would take a good while to crank to start. Once started, it would (mostly) work. It finally got bad enough that it wasn't going to start and almost stranded me a few times. So it then sat for a month, once I got it back home.

I bit the bullet and had some time so I started troubleshooting it. My first thought was spark, as it seemed to have fuel and compression is fine (for a 180k motor). I pulled a cyl 1 plug, spark tested it. Nothing. Figured it was coil, replaced it. Still nothing, next was ignition module in the distributor. Replaced that and I got it to turn back over and fire, once the fuel system pressured up from sitting for a month. Turned right over. Drove it around for a bit, thought sweet, fixed.

4 days later, I have still had it cut out on me while drive 3 times (right after each other over 3 minutes, it was hot this day) but fine while driving. Started fine Monday and Tuesday, today, fine in the morning but starts really hard this afternoon. I had to turn off the ignition, cycle the gear selector, then I saw the cluster "reset" and it fired up. So now I am thinking something heat related or cluster related. The speed it will zero and not display current speed but it always comes back. It has the typical fuel gauge flutter. All the other gauges work (tach, volt, temp, oil).
I have purposely hit train tracks and bumps to see if is a loose wire / connection but nothing seems to happen. It is SOO random. Checked grounds, fine, (though ground was loose, tighten it back up when I fixed the ignition module). Charging system seems fine, the radio doesn't cut out when it dies, it is more like the ignition switch gets turned off. Tight might be that so I wiggled it while engine was running and I couldn't get it to die. So frustrated.

Edit:
Never seems to throw codes when it die while drive, it is like you turn off the switch..
bigwilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:04 PM   #2
petee

Re: 1995 2 Door Tahoe. 182,000 Miles on it, Randomly dies and hard starts.

Might want to look into the ignition module. My 92 blazer and 89 K1500 both had intermittent dying and hard starts when hot.
petee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:11 PM   #3
bigwilley

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee View Post
Might want to look into the ignition module. My 92 blazer and 89 K1500 both had intermittent dying and hard starts when hot.
The ignition module (under the distributor cap) was replaced this past weekend. I was hoping it was going to fix the issue, as it seemed to only show up when the engine washot. No such luck. Thanks for the response.
bigwilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:38 AM   #4
mountie

I had a similar problem. ( not cluster)..... I found out a failing coil will damage the ECM, and also the coil problem was intermittent .

Coils don't "just fail"... sometimes they go bad, causing above issues, inconsistently.
'93 Cadillac STS Black
'93 Mercedes SL 500 Teal
'96 Honda 550 - Beautifully original
'86 Yamaha FZ750 - 15,000 RPM
'86 Yamaha FJ1200 - Criminally Fast
mountie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:04 AM   #5
Kudzupatch

When an ignition module fails (at least for me) you loose tach output, so tach reads zero.

If you are seeing speedometer fluctuate that would lead me to an electrical or a computer issue. A mechanical issue in the motor should not cause that.

If you loose oil pressure I think it shuts off the fuel pump. So if sending unit has an issue that could cause it shut down. Not sure it would make it run bad though.

Knowing fuel pressure would really help. When it acts up see if you the injectors are spraying.

Clogged fuel filter? Fuel pickup clogged? Fuel pump going out?
Kudzupatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:44 AM   #6
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Kudz already touched on my USUAL SUSPECT

FUEL FILTER. That's always my #1 suspect for intermittent issues. Fuel system can deliver fuel at idle and test, but delivering consistent pressure and volume is a total different story . A nasty filter can clog under pressure and be a HUGE restriction.Then open when pressure falls off and it sits for a few.(when you de-energize the pump) I've seen it more than a few ties!

Other thoughts
My 94 had similar stalling issue and random miss, I found the coil wire (between distributor and coil) had arc'd and internally burned away at the COIL end. If your plug wires are not fairly fresh,, might be worth a $8 coil wire.

Now to the rant

Most everything we buy from the parts houses these days is some import POS inferior garbage that saw absolutely NO quality control. Some 7 and hour left handed 12 year old put the electronics together after their 45 minute 'job training'.
Just because one of these imported ignition modules, or coils, or any other electronic part from the local parts house (via BF Egypt) is NEW,, don't mean it's not STILL the issue! You almost can not find an American made ignition component for a GM,, even GM is outsourcing to Mexico and Israel and Vietnam and Indonesia and.....

OK rant off, but remember, nothing you buy from the local discount parts house is anywhere near the quality of the original 95,, and even then Delphi contracted much of the GM electronics, and it is a combination of US and import (but at least assembled here by competent workers)

OK so maybe my rant wasn't totally over,, it is now
LOL

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.

Last edited by Marv D; 08-17-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:12 PM   #7
Kudzupatch

WOW, could not agree more! Chasing a stumble on mine a while back. 2 brand new distributor caps went bad in 3-4 weeks. Brand new 'good' plug wires were arching intermittently and turned out to be my major problem and took weeks to finally find it arching.

All those parts were replaced with Delco parts and so far so good.
Kudzupatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:23 PM   #8
mountie

" A known good"....

That's a part that is not new but it works.

I've had new parts fail... MSD is a prime example of NOT a "known good" !!

I've found new spark plugs with cracked porcelain. I was told by a very famous Corvette racer / builder about the "A" list & then the super-mass produced "B" list manufacturing of spark plugs ( Pep Boys, etc)....

Sometimes it's better to purchase parts from a smaller autoparts store... their parts are from a different plant.
'93 Cadillac STS Black
'93 Mercedes SL 500 Teal
'96 Honda 550 - Beautifully original
'86 Yamaha FZ750 - 15,000 RPM
'86 Yamaha FJ1200 - Criminally Fast
mountie is offline   Reply With Quote