The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2017, 10:13 PM   #1
hdff

What's missing on this seat track?

I pulled the seat today to install the center seat belt mounting brackets. Looking at my seat tracks is something missing, should they be connected someway. It has never worked right and I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing.
Attached Images

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394

Last edited by hdff; 08-01-2017 at 10:18 PM.
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:47 PM   #2
truckster

Re: What's missing on this seat track?

There's a cable that crosses over so that both sides release at the same time. Your tracks are missing that.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:46 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Some are cable, some are a rod, and some are a thin wire. I don't remember the specifics but it depends on the year.

Here are a few threads on the subject.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=420114

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=659974

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418802

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:05 AM   #4
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
Some are cable, some are a rod, and some are a thin wire. I don't remember the specifics but it depends on the year.

Here are a few threads on the subject.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=420114

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=659974

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418802

LockDoc
The change may have occurred in 72ish. I only say that because my 71 had the rod, my 72 has the cable.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:32 AM   #5
Zeroman

As others have said, some seats have cable, some have a rod. See arrow on attached pic.

Mine had a cable which was kind of thin, so I replaced with a rod. I bought a 6 foot 1/8" diameter steel rod at Lowes. Painted it gloss black. The rod attaches to the two spring loaded catches on the seat tracks. Just cut to fit and bend the ends to hold in the holes for the catches.

The tension on the rod, or cable, is adjusted by being attached to the bottom back of the seat frame. I use a large wire tie to do this. You install the seat with the wire tie just tight enough to keep the rod above the hump of the cab then tighten it until the passenger side track works in conjunction with the drivers side track. Doing it this way keeps you from having to install and remove the seat numerous times to get the adjustment right.

You are also missing the spring on the drivers side which keeps tension on the whole seat. See circle on attached pic.

There is also a smaller spring that keeps tension on the handle. You can see it in the second pic.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Zeroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:14 AM   #6
GR8-68

The seat is missing

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:47 AM   #7
hdff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroman View Post
As others have said, some seats have cable, some have a rod. See arrow on attached pic.

Mine had a cable which was kind of thin, so I replaced with a rod. I bought a 6 foot 1/8" diameter steel rod at Lowes. Painted it gloss black. The rod attaches to the two spring loaded catches on the seat tracks. Just cut to fit and bend the ends to hold in the holes for the catches.

The tension on the rod, or cable, is adjusted by being attached to the bottom back of the seat frame. I use a large wire tie to do this. You install the seat with the wire tie just tight enough to keep the rod above the hump of the cab then tighten it until the passenger side track works in conjunction with the drivers side track. Doing it this way keeps you from having to install and remove the seat numerous times to get the adjustment right.

You are also missing the spring on the drivers side which keeps tension on the whole seat. See circle on attached pic.

There is also a smaller spring that keeps tension on the handle. You can see it in the second pic.

Hope this helps.
Thanks all, I see what is missing. I found where I can get the springs and key pieces that go thru the tracks and i'll go to lowes and see if I can find the 1/8" steel rod like you mentioned.. What about the spring on the drivers side, anyone know where I can get one of those, I didn't see it in the catalogues I looked at. i'll put up a WTB in the parts section... Zeroman who refurbed your seat, it looks great and I see your in Houston so they may be local to me.. I would like more info on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8-68 View Post
The seat is missing
there's always one in the crowd..

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394

Last edited by hdff; 08-02-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:57 AM   #8
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdff View Post
Thanks all, I see what is missing. I found where I can get the springs and key pieces that go thru the tracks and i'll go to lowes and see if I can find the 1/8" steel rod like you mentioned.. What about the spring on the drivers side, anyone know where I can get one of those, I didn't see it in the catalogues I looked at. i'll put up a WTB in the parts section... Zeroman who refurbed your seat, it looks great and I see your in Houston so they may be local to me..

there's always one in the crowd..
If you're a paying member, you might score that spring off the part's board. There are two springs on the driver's side. Here are my notes on those, which includes the lengths:

• Bench to bracket spring: A 11.3/4" spring attaches to the bottom rear bench frame. The hole is located approx. 4.1/2" from the bracket. It slips into the hole over the bench cover. The other end attaches to the hole located on the inside of the bracket near the front.

• Seat adjuster spring: The short end of a 7.1/4" spring slips through top of the hole in the adjuster handle. The other end attaches to the bottom rear corner where the track and bracket meet. Once attached, bend the end of the spring in at the handle.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 08-02-2017 at 12:05 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:36 PM   #9
hdff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
If you're a paying member, you might score that spring off the part's board. There are two springs on the driver's side. Here are my notes on those, which includes the lengths:

• Bench to bracket spring: A 11.3/4" spring attaches to the bottom rear bench frame. The hole is located approx. 4.1/2" from the bracket. It slips into the hole over the bench cover. The other end attaches to the hole located on the inside of the bracket near the front.

• Seat adjuster spring: The short end of a 7.1/4" spring slips through top of the hole in the adjuster handle. The other end attaches to the bottom rear corner where the track and bracket meet. Once attached, bend the end of the spring in at the handle.
yep i'm a paying member... I found the spring and the keys w/springs at a place mentioned in the links provided by lockdoc, thanks leon, now I just need to find the rod that connects them, I will put a WTB over in parts or try to make one as described by zeroman above.
I may not ever move the seat but the ocd in me wants things done right, I hate half ass stuff and the PO left plenty of that for me....... and it also gives me a chance to paint the seat track in the mean time. I only wish I was ready to redo the seat now that it's out. i''l mention it here... WTB this rod in the pic
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2017, 06:29 PM   #10
Zeroman

hdff.....I did the restore on the seat myself.

It did take a lot of effort, but I am really happy with the results.

I will PM you my cell number to discuss.
Zeroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:03 PM   #11
hdff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroman View Post
hdff.....I did the restore on the seat myself.

It did take a lot of effort, but I am really happy with the results.

I will PM you my cell number to discuss.
Ok I got it I'll give you a call soon...