The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2017, 12:50 PM   #26
rgunlock

Re: Power steering - how to stiffen it up?

I'll admit that I am used to the drive of newer model trucks. In the past, I had and drove a 73 and 77 K10 as daily drivers so I know they don't ride the same as newer trucks but I don't recall ever feeling like they were hard to control. Maybe I'm kidding myself - those K10's were 25+ years ago. Still, no harm trying to get the best ride from this truck that I can within reason cost-wise.

I did call Tuff Country to ask about the suspension. Their advise was to double-check that I haven't torqued the leaf spring mounts too far, limiting spring movement so I have that to check this weekend. The 4" spring lift did come with a drop steering arm which is installed.

I do have a better steering stabilizer on order. I hope that helps prevent the road from yanking my truck around when I hit rough spots. We'll see and I'll update as I get results.

I do really appreciate all the feedback on this thread. Hope it ends up helpful to others as well.

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:34 PM   #27
Desert_Eagle02

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgunlock View Post
I do really appreciate all the feedback on this thread. Hope it ends up helpful to others as well.
I've been following this thread, I'm getting ready to lift mine soon. Still debating on a 4" or a 6", so hopefully I will know what to do if I end up with the same problem.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:52 PM   #28
GRADYS Performance

Fixing your Caster is the way to make the truck drive the way you want it. You can keep nibbling at the edges or dig in and do it right.
GRADYS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:28 PM   #29
rgunlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRADYS Performance View Post
Fixing your Caster is the way to make the truck drive the way you want it. You can keep nibbling at the edges or dig in and do it right.
I ordered a pair of 2 degree shims yesterday as well. The plan is, whichever shows up first (shims or stabilizer) will get installed and tested first. The second will just be added.

2001 GMC Sierra K2500
Old 11-15-2017, 05:04 PM   #30
akart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgunlock View Post
I ordered a pair of 2 degree shims yesterday as well. The plan is, whichever shows up first (shims or stabilizer) will get installed and tested first. The second will just be added.
Good on you the stabilizer won't do much but you will have a new stabilizer.
The lift put your castor out of spec. The thick part of the shim will go to the back. Good luck
akart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:49 PM   #31
rgunlock

The shims and stabilizers showed up and I had time this weekend to do the installs. The shims were a major pain to install, but actually improved my steering handling quite a bit. Still nothing like the feel of a modern truck's steering, but certainly made it where I felt in control of the steering.
Attached Images

2001 GMC Sierra K2500
Old 12-03-2017, 08:57 PM   #32
rgunlock

After a test drive with just the shims, I installed the dual steering stabilizers. This job wouldn't have been too bad, but it did take a lot of effort to compress the shocks (at a tough angle) and get them lined up in the mounting bracket. Also, the instructions weren't too good as far as where to mount the brackets. They didn't take into account that the toe adjustments were taking 8" or so of the passenger side so I had to move everything to get it reasonably well centered.

This also made a further improvement in steering. It now takes "intent" to turn the wheel which is one thing I was looking for. The downside is after a turn, you can't just let the wheel slip past your palm to get centered again. You have to steer it back straight. Not sure I like this but I'll see if I can get used to it. I'm thinking that the shims and an upgraded single stabilizer may have been just about right. That's the original O'Reilly's stabilizer at the top of the picture.

Thanks to those who gave advice in this thread. At least I feel safe driving the truck at some speed now on rough/uneven pavement.
Attached Images

2001 GMC Sierra K2500
Old 11-05-2023, 11:35 PM   #33
Orefactory4x4 swb

I know this is a old post, but I’m doing mine right now on my 72 k10. And wondering if I should just go ahead and put them shims in now. And do they go in the back as well. Thanks
Orefactory4x4 swb is offline   Reply With Quote