The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2017, 03:38 AM   #1
WOLFMANmike

is there a way to achieve a nice looking paint job with rattle cans in my interior ?

hey guys im looking for as much detailed info i can get to get a nice looking paint job in the interior of my truck. the entire dash is down to bare metel right now im wanting to do a gloss black and red dash and doors. all i can afford is rattle can for this so if any of you know how to do what im wanting to do will you please give me a detailed crash course on how to do it all? what high gloss black to use ? what primers ? what steps if any in sanding? also this is going to be done without removing the windshield just so you know.. do i clear it after or no clear ? i know im not gonna get showroom quality but im hoping if i take the proper steps to do it that i can get a nice looking job anyway that will last ... please also include and prep work that i will need to do and what chems i will need & brand names .. how to use them im 100% newbie here ive never done anything like this so i want get all my ducks in a row and absorb all the info i need to do it.. and what tools you think ill need ... thanks in advance happy truckin
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:15 AM   #2
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Re: is there a way to achieve a nice looking paint job with rattle cans in my interio

I have found good information on YouTube.
What I like about YouTube is they walk you through it. Some things just can't be demonstrated through text.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:18 AM   #3
LostMy65

Re: is there a way to achieve a nice looking paint job with rattle cans in my interio

I just went over to YouTube and typed:
spray can paint job on car
I got lots of hits.

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 06-20-2017, 11:10 AM   #4
shp4man

I rattle canned my truck's interior. Took 9 cans and a bunch of prep work.

My only advice would be that there are a bunch of rivet marks and other areas that aren't ready for gloss black and will stick out pretty good.
You could, I suppose, buy a small can of bondo and fill these areas before painting.
I used a flat finish on mine, except for the steering column and e-brake lever.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:22 AM   #5
scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by shp4man View Post
I rattle canned my truck's interior. Took 9 cans and a bunch of prep work.

My only advice would be that there are a bunch of rivet marks and other areas that aren't ready for gloss black and will stick out pretty good.
You could, I suppose, buy a small can of bondo and fill these areas before painting.
I used a flat finish on mine, except for the steering column and e-brake lever.
What cup holder and mount is that? thanks
'70 Triumph T120R
'81 Laverda Jota
scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:41 AM   #6
jchav62
1962 C-10

A friend of mine in Nevada just rattle canned the interior of his '66 with a fawn color from Krylon. Came out nice! He did clear it with a Harbor Freight HVLP gun afterwards.
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/

1962 C10 Shortbed Fleetside 327/th350 GV overdrive
1974 C10 Longbed Fleetside 350/th350 "The Trash Truck"
1999 Chevy 2500 OBS, Longbed 5.7/4L80E 4x4
2015 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4x4
jchav62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:10 PM   #7
shp4man

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderia View Post
West Marine. It's a stainless steel boat part. Works good, you can put a regular coffee cup in it and it won't spill.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:42 PM   #8
Northwest Outlaw

Rust-o-elum High Gloss Protective Enamel for both projects, Coldspot fridge and the engine bay of my '61. On the engine bay I had it down to bare metal and sanded smooth then shot it with Rusto metal primer before the grey enamel. takes a few coats but i really like the finish.
First coat is a light dusting, about 50% coverage, repeat for second coat. Then lay on full coverage with even passes that overlap. you want to get the whole surface covered while the paint is still wet and shiny to ensure even drying.
Leave plenty of time between coats to fully dry and see any areas that are thin, showing primer below.
You can use a separate Gloss Finish for a final coat(s) if you want higher shine or more protection.
Attached Images

Northwest Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:07 PM   #9
oem4me

Decent results are possible with rattle cans, like those shown above, but don't fear the spray gun. Cheap HVLP gravity fed guns are available, and most home shops already have some sort of air compressor on hand, so making the step toward spraying paint more like a pro is a no-brainer. Once you graduate to a gun, you'll wonder why you waited. What's not to like about more paint applied to a larger area, in less time with better results?
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:11 PM   #10
Robert Haas

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
Decent results are possible with rattle cans, like those shown above, but don't fear the spray gun. Cheap HVLP gravity fed guns are available, and most home shops already have some sort of air compressor on hand, so making the step toward spraying paint more like a pro is a no-brainer. Once you graduate to a gun, you'll wonder why you waited. What's not to like about more paint applied to a larger area, in less time with better results?

Cheaper too.

Did you know you can buy rustoleum by the gallon?

A gallon of gloss black, and it thins with Acetone, total costs for both elements for gloss black? less then 60 bucks. FYI a gallon of paint is equal to about 30 cans of spray paint.
Robert Haas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:21 PM   #11
LostMy65

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
That's what I was thinking of suggesting.
It'd even be less expensive than using rattle cans.

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 06-20-2017, 08:21 PM   #12
AcampoDave

Those cheap siphon guns from Harbor Freight shoot Rustoleum quite well. You just have to thin it out nicely. I actually had better results with their cheap-o siphon gun than I did with a budget gravity feed type gun. The gravity feed also made it too hard for me to adjust my paint to thinner ratio on the fly. (Big mess)
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:56 PM   #13
shp4man

Here's what I used.

There's only a bunch of different brown/gold/copper/grey/silver type colors of it. This stuff sprays on kinda weird, you sort of squeeze the black trigger against the top. It spits when the can is almost empty, so only upright when there isn't much paint left.
It dries to a flat finish, although there are some "satin" semi-shiny colors.
It looks like flat small flake metallic finish in shade, but in direct sunlight it sparkles with big prizm flakes.
It's not like regular rattle can paint. Seems durable so far.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:06 AM   #14
nail pounder

I rattle canned on my first go around. Sand/scuff, wipe with wax/grease remover than used dupli-color. It was a gun metal grey sorta. Looked much better than when I started and probably cost 80$ or so. Then a couple years ago on my second go around I used hvlp spray gun, I struggled a bit with orange peel and air pressure issues but sprayed the whole truck for about $400. I had to cut and buff the exterior to make it look half decent. The inside could use a cut and buff too but I'm not sure I want to buff by hand. By the time I painted the wheels and tool box I was finally getting the hang of it, keeping the wet edge, flash times and keeping an eye on weather conditions. All in all, it's a decent driver and I'm sure my next trucks paint job will come out much better. I had one of our work trucks done by Earl Scheib, it cost $1200 and it's not much better if at all. I guess what I'm attempting to say is I would suggest an actual spray gun, especially if you have a compressor, practice on a metal trash can or something, you tube how to set up your fan pattern and have fun. I figure that I could buy a big compressor, a middle of the road gun and the paint for as much as an Earl Scheib job, then the only person I can blame for the flaws is myself. I've had more than a few compliments on it and I'm able to say that my 10year old daughter and I did it in our driveway.
Attached Images

nail pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:13 AM   #15
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

I never had any luck with cheaper guns. I went with the sata 5000 hvlp.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:17 AM   #16
nail pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy View Post
I never had any luck with cheaper guns. I went with the sata 5000 hvlp.
I agree TJ, I tried the harbor freight gun too but with poor results, even with primer. I bought a devilbliss finshline 4 and it works great. Any issues with that gun are strictly operator error.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:17 PM   #17
scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by shp4man View Post
West Marine. It's a stainless steel boat part. Works good, you can put a regular coffee cup in it and it won't spill.
Thanks and btw your interior looks great! Stock color is the best IMO ..
'70 Triumph T120R
'81 Laverda Jota
scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:35 PM   #18
72cs20

Nail Pounder,

Good looking C20 you have there.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:23 PM   #19
WOLFMANmike

Thank you guys for all your help and info
Old 06-25-2017, 03:19 PM   #20
nail pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72cs20 View Post
Nail Pounder,

Good looking C20 you have there.
Thanks 72, I've been following along on your build, your's is looking pretty sweet!
Old 06-25-2017, 10:38 PM   #21
RANDY COX

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderia View Post
Looks good and I like the ole school gun rack... I bought 1 at a yard sale I got to get it mounted in there...
Old 06-28-2017, 08:58 AM   #22
coolfool_2

Heck, i rattle canned my entire truck. lol
coolfool_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:08 AM   #23
AnotherWs6

I've rattle canned a few home projects with good results. I use expensive Krylon stuff and it works very well. The downside is the amount of cans that you need. To get a good, smooth, deep looking surface you need a fair amount of paint and I blow through a lot of 6 dollar a pop cans. Maybe I should look into an inexpensive spray gun..... As others have suggested for you to do. But it is another tool to clean. Spray guns don't like not being super clean.
2010 Cadillac CTS Wagon Sport - Wife's DD and the only classy car we have.
AnotherWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:32 AM   #24
Warrens69GMC

Check this out-

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ebuild.599025/
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:15 PM   #25
WOLFMANmike

oh awesome read on that hamb post thanks for that ... hell if he can make the rattle can paint look that good then so can i