The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2017, 05:36 PM   #1
CVANN

Need Blinker Help!!

I have a 66 C-10 and recently went from 3 on the tree to automatic column. I got a universal column from Brothers. I wired the column per wiring diagram I got off this forum. When I switch on the blinker up or down it's like the flashers are on. Note my truck doesn't have flashers. When I probe the wires where I splice the column in to the harness I have power on every wire. I fear I have a column issue. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
CVANN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:56 PM   #2
step65

Re: Need Blinker Help!!

http://www.americanautowire.com/PDFL...20IN%204.0.pdf

Here is a link to wiring diagram you can review to make sure column is wired correctly.
step65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:50 PM   #3
X24

did you figure it out? i'm having a very similar problem. my brake light was acting up and while i was diggin into that the next time i turned the truck on all 4 flashers were going off... let me know.

1964 chevy c10 step side
230ci straight six
Auto power glide
X24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:45 PM   #4
X24

Quote:
Originally Posted by X24 View Post
did you figure it out? i'm having a very similar problem. my brake light was acting up and while i was diggin into that the next time i turned the truck on all 4 flashers were going off... let me know.
GOT IT! well i figured out it was the pins inside of the turn signal assembly. the brakelights and all the signals are all going throught there... well the right hand post was bent and the arms were bent shorting out the parking lights.... what a night spent 30 min trying to repair plus the 6 hours it took to find the problem... i'll gladly go out and buy a replacement. just wish it wasnt sunday (everyones closed).

1964 chevy c10 step side
230ci straight six
Auto power glide
Old 01-30-2018, 11:23 AM   #5
MrCodyK75

When it was having its issue, did it do it with either blinker turned on? My 66 is having a similar issue. Left rear and both front work just fine, but when park lights are on, it lights up the RH turn indicator on the dash. The right rear has park lights, but when you hit the brake lights it does nothing & the right turn signal makes both Rear flash. I'm thinking short in the turn signal switch, but have heard others say it could be the headlight switch.
MrCodyK75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:52 AM   #6
X24

For Avoid $50 and a steering wheel puller swap it out... or better yet buy it and just connect it to the harness before you pull anything apart to make sure it fixes your problems. Oh, and a stick cut to the right length between the seat and brake pedal in case you're but yourself (to check the brake lights).

1964 chevy c10 step side
230ci straight six
Auto power glide

Last edited by X24; 01-31-2018 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Forgot to quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:54 AM   #7
X24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCodyK75 View Post
When it was having its issue, did it do it with either blinker turned on? My 66 is having a similar issue. Left rear and both front work just fine, but when park lights are on, it lights up the RH turn indicator on the dash. The right rear has park lights, but when you hit the brake lights it does nothing & the right turn signal makes both Rear flash. I'm thinking short in the turn signal switch, but have heard others say it could be the headlight switch.
If its the headlamp switch you might be able to wiggle it to make it flutter or at least see some changes. my guess is your turn signal switch. 6 pins The brakes are tied to 12v but if the pins are shorted or bent even just a little you won't get 12v to brakes pins, or the tail lamp/park lights short out. The tolerance is really tight inside there. So even a slight offset inside the turn signals assembly can jam things up. I went with classic industries ($55)for a repop because I tried the car and truck shop in orange, CA the last time and I feel like I may have got 2 years out of it. Hopefully this one last a little longer... fit was tight and it was a litttle different but I got it to work. With a file, some new screws and grease.

Good luck. Let me know if you need any other info... good luck.

1964 chevy c10 step side
230ci straight six
Auto power glide
Old 01-31-2018, 04:24 PM   #8
CVANN

Thanks for all the help. After further diag I found the new column does in fact have emergency flashers. I guess it falls on operator error.
CVANN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:33 PM   #9
MrCodyK75

Thanks for the input. Turns out it was, as suspected, the turn switch.
MrCodyK75 is offline   Reply With Quote