The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #26
CPPJEFF
Account Suspended

Re: CPP Brakes SUCK!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsigh View Post
I just spent $40 on brand new A/C Delco pads to try and fix this issue myself. Both sets of pads rub on the rotor, and the rotor hat. On both sides, even after it was centered.

I'm not sure if 1980-1985 Seville rear brakes are the way to go anyway. Seems a little dated. Wilwood from here on out.
Any chance i can get a picture of what you are describing? orry to hear about this.
CPPJEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:03 AM   #27
sighlurr

Sorry, I didn't have time to take pictures and troubleshoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPPJEFF View Post
Any chance i can get a picture of what you are describing? orry to hear about this.
sighlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #28
CPPJEFF
Account Suspended

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't have time to take pictures and troubleshoot.
Are you going to? Sorry i think i am a step behind you on this one...
Old 08-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #29
sighlurr

No, to be honest I lost my patience with the overall CPP experience. I hit a wall with the response I received over the phone. It probably would have been wiser to check with you first, instead of wasting some much time on hold and trying to get someone live over the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPPJEFF View Post
Are you going to? Sorry i think i am a step behind you on this one...
sighlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #30
CPPJEFF
Account Suspended

Quote:
No, to be honest I lost my patience with the overall CPP experience. I hit a wall with the response I received over the phone. It probably would have been wiser to check with you first, instead of wasting some much time on hold and trying to get someone live over the phone.
My appologies on this also, let me get you those shims so you have them anyway, what was your order #?
Old 07-21-2014, 12:04 AM   #31
mechanicalman

OK I know this is a very old thread. I was researching CPP brakes and came across this. Looking at the top left picture, it looks like MAYBE the backing plates were not installed correctly, and cdowns also noticed the one in the picture appears to be crooked.

It appears the backing plate bolts are in backwards, with nuts against the axle flange, then the backing plate installed atop those nuts. This would pull the outboard pad towards the backing plate too far and drag against the rotor (pad cracked from over-heating), and also this would pull the pad toward the top of the rotor (off the edge, note the lip on the top of the pad). This would also cause the inner pad to dig in at the inner radii of the rotor, and possibly leave a lip at the top as well.

I would suggest that the backing plates may need to be installed with the bolts going in through the backing plates first, then flush against the axle flange, then with nuts on the other side without excessive bolt protrusion pointing towards the wheel.

I could be wrong, but I'm wondering if Jeff at CPP could confirm if that is indeed the right way to install the backing plates. It only took me a minute to find this, not sure if it was available in 2010.

http://www.classicperform.com/tech_a...kes-trucks.htm

I'd be shocked if the kit didn't come with instructions. Even if it didn't, don't those bolts usually go in inboard towards outboard? Just a thought, seems CPP got skewered and I'm not sure that was necessary.

Last edited by mechanicalman; 07-21-2014 at 12:06 AM. Reason: minor error "CCP" vs "CPP"
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:23 PM   #32
mechanicalman

Actually, I think 68 c10 ls2 has the Backing Plates on backwards, (side for side).
Old 07-24-2014, 06:56 PM   #33
Nola67

Interesting resurrection.

Mechanicalman, I used to live in glendale az.. miss the smooth roads out there
01 swb
Nola67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:07 PM   #34
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola67 View Post
Interesting resurrection.

Mechanicalman, I used to live in glendale az.. miss the smooth roads out there
Yeah they pave the roads here before they need it. Cross over into Phoenix and it can get bumpy in a hurry.

Yes, they are smooth when they aren't barricaded. They dig up the pipes every couple of years as well need it or not. Somebody is getting their pockets lined, for sure.

City sales tax is 2.9%, total sales tax 9.2%. Less where you live?
Old 10-31-2014, 09:47 PM   #35
Andy4639
Old member

Angry Re: CPP Brakes SUCK!!!!!!!!!

Well I will be calling Jeff Monday. I just spent 10 solid hrs on them and I don't have brakes yet. I finally got the passenger side done but had to take it off 2 times before I got it right. I completely left the spacer bar off and it seems to fit good. The directions should state this!!!!

The drivers side is another story. I took it back off and removed the spacer bar and it didn't have enough clearance so after reinstalling it I figure it needs to be shaved in half and it should work. I HOPE ANYWAY!

The hard lines don't fit the stock truck Tee connection. I had to go buy adapters from O Reillys for that.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:03 PM   #36
Andy4639
Old member

20 hrs total spent on this install. The kit sucks! I do have them installed but I wasn't happy at all with it. I had to buy parts from my local parts store and I was told this kit was for a Chevy truck 12 bolt. The instructions all state Chevelle and Camaro nothing about trucks. The hard lines didn't fit the Tee connection to small and the bracket they have didn't fit the S/S braided hose fitting to hold to the axle.

The spacers are not used on either side. I had to use 3 washers on the drivers side and nothing on the passenger side. I will get the spacer machined down to reinstall on the drivers side. The t-bolts are not grade 8 so I will swap them also. The calipers are a ***** to adjust. I followed their instructions to the tee and I have pretty good brakes but I don't think the kit is very well thought out are user friendly!
I sent CPP a e mail telling them how much I disliked the kit and what all the problems where.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.

Last edited by Andy4639; 11-02-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:33 AM   #37
ksbrktracer
TNT-MOTORSPORTS

Im wondering if you got the wrong kit ... If the instructions say chevelle and camaro ....which would be same , but different than a truck. If you have a part # I can look it up to make sure you got the right kit.
ksbrktracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #38
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: CPP Brakes SUCK!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbrktracer View Post
Im wondering if you got the wrong kit ... If the instructions say chevelle and camaro ....which would be same , but different than a truck. If you have a part # I can look it up to make sure you got the right kit.
I called them like 5 times that day. Each time I called I mentioned this and they gave me the same answer. Yes it's the right kit that there is no difference except for the cover plate.
6772RWBK-5

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 11-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #39
ksbrktracer
TNT-MOTORSPORTS

I I looked at that part number and according to the catalogs that I have that is a truck part #. Doesn't look like I can offer much help. I was hoping maybe just a matter of the wrong kit. I looked at the list of parts and according to my catalog the calipers look to be the only difference which seems odd to me ...... I thought they were the same (Different size it says) . Says offset on rotors is the same and so on...... I'm not sure ......? Wish I could be more help.
ksbrktracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:38 PM   #40
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs down Re: CPP Brakes SUCK!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbrktracer View Post
I I looked at that part number and according to the catalogs that I have that is a truck part #. Doesn't look like I can offer much help. I was hoping maybe just a matter of the wrong kit. I looked at the list of parts and according to my catalog the calipers look to be the only difference which seems odd to me ...... I thought they were the same (Different size it says) . Says offset on rotors is the same and so on...... I'm not sure ......? Wish I could be more help.
Thanks, I thought so to when I first opened the kit. The directions where so small I had to wear my glasses to read them. I called today and left Jeff a message. Will see what happens which I don't look for anything to happen really. I just know I want recommend the kit to anyone.I'll go buy the grade 8 bolts and have the drivers side spacer turned down to fit and do some more system bleeding and hope they work out OK.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 11-04-2014, 02:57 PM   #41
Andy4639
Old member

Red face Re: CPP Brakes SUCK!!!!!!!!!

Can you believe this! I get a letter back from some women at CPP saying they had talked to Van and he said I had been taken care of! I haven't had nothing done then I get a e mail from them wanting me to buy more parts from them on their website.
I called and talked to this Guy Van. He apoligized for the problems and said I was sent the wrong derictions. They are sending me a T shirt and he said the T bolts are grade 8.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Last edited by Andy4639; 11-04-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:31 PM   #42
Possmguts

I was just researching this kit and now i think Ill do some More research on other kits....

67 Short Bed under major construction
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=651356&page=8
Possmguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:34 PM   #43
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by possmguts View Post
i was just researching this kit and now i think ill do some more research on other kits....
x2
Old 03-22-2015, 10:21 PM   #44
Rochlow

I have 6366FRBK6-BB 1963-66, 6x5.5 kit, plain calipers and I spent the whole day trying to get fluid threw the master cylinder and the lines.. Once, I finally got that done,I couldn't get the pedal to firm up..
Old 03-22-2015, 11:12 PM   #45
blackbart63mule

U may have to "bench" bleed your master cylinder, or try drawing fluid thru wheel cylinders with a mity-vac, or vacuum pump.
blackbart63mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:29 AM   #46
Rochlow

I did bench bleed the M/C and I have 4 wheel disc brakes.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:18 AM   #47
blackbart63mule

Some proportioning (stock) valves had a pin you had to pull out to bleed front or back brakes.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:34 PM   #48
Rochlow

It's a CPP portioning valve, there is no pin to pull out
Old 03-26-2015, 12:07 AM   #49
blackbart63mule

Maybe you got a bad master cylinder if it was that hard to bleed the system the first time, I've seen brand new ones that were pitted in the bore. Had one that after I bench bled still had 'microscopic' bubbles in fluid, I let it sit overnight and bled it again.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:04 AM   #50
Possmguts

Im doing the Wilwood thing. Ordered the rear kit last night. I think im gonna use the entire Wilwood setup. MS and all

67 Short Bed under major construction
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=651356&page=8
Possmguts is offline   Reply With Quote