The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2018, 12:40 PM   #1
Desert_Eagle02

Cordless Power Tools

Hey guys I'm looking for suggestions for which brand to go with. I need to pick up a drill and impact driver combo kit. I'm leaning towards the Milwaukee M18 Fuel. I have never used a Milwaukee tool, but I have used Makita and DeWalt and they were fine. The Milwaukee has a higher price tag, but is it worth it? I will be using these everyday at work. So they will get a good amount of use everyday.

Any suggestions or recommendations will be appreciated.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:41 PM   #2
paul blair

Re: Cordless Power Tools

Check out CPO online for the best prices easy to compare. I went with Bosh 18v and 12 v lith. I do electrical and some mech. work and can't believe how much work can be done on a charge. I guess the Milwaukee, De Walt or Bosh would be good choices. I waited for a sale at CPO--For $99.--18v drill driver 2 batteries and charger and $99. for the same 12v setup---still cant believe the amount of work on a charge!
paul blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:49 PM   #3
Rusty63

Up here Milwaukees have lifetime warranty on batteries and tools,I have Bosch now older 12 volt work awesome,and DeWalt 18 volt xrp,thier batteries suck for holding charge
Rusty63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:25 PM   #4
The Rocknrod

If you have the money go for it. I went with Dewalt and I'm not unhappy at all.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:40 PM   #5
Rusty63

I love the selection of DeWalt tools,I always have 5 batteries on charge,love their mini grinder! Especially at the wreckers
Rusty63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:15 PM   #6
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

I bought this Makita combo kit 4 years ago. Its similar to this one. I never had an impact like this and thought it would not use it.. Now I never put it down. Its nice to have both.

https://www.tylertool.com/makita-ct2...efault,pd.html

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:01 PM   #7
truckster

I'd own Milwaukee if I could afford it, but I think DeWalt is second best and far less expensive, so that's what I have.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:35 PM   #8
Indian113

My wife bought the Dewalt 4 piece combo kit for me a few Christmas back and I love it. I di buy a extra Battery Charger and a twin Pack of Batteries. I use the Sawsall a lot.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:00 PM   #9
rcrahn

I have Milwaukee M18 tools and love em. Started off with the drill and hex impact driver. Later added the 1/2" square ring impact wrench for changing tires at the racetrack and overall use on cars. Just awesome how powerful and rugged it is.
And if you haven't checked out the Milwaukee lighting products you should. Next on my list to buy is the M18 powered floodlight. The bare tool prices are not bad IMHO.
rcrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:31 PM   #10
davischevy

I have a full set of Ridgid including sawzall and circular saw. They have a lifetime warranty if you register them.

Do not, Do not, forget to register them.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:56 AM   #11
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Used to have craftsman 19.2 volt tools for all the trucks. Got tired of all the battery issues switched to Dewalt 20 volt brushless drills and could not be happier. What once took 4-6 batteries to do in craftsman now I can do with half a battery in dewalt. I can usually get an entire day out of one battery in the drill. The sawzall and grinder burh it a little quicker though
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:10 AM   #12
Desert_Eagle02

Thanks for the replies guys. I ended up ordering the Milwaukee combo kit. I found it for a decent deal. Hopefully they are worth the price tag haha. Can't wait to try them out.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:18 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

Dewalt is the best all around cordless tool brand. They make the most and are the one the others are out to try to beat. You want all the same brand tools... same batteries. My first cordless drill/driver was Makita. It worked well, was the best on the market at the time, but forget parts and service. Once I had an issue it became a throw away. I bought a Milwaukee circular saw and power screwdriver back when they started selling cordless. Both were pure junk. No power to do what you bought them to do and battery lasted 2 minutes.

I ended up buying a Dewalt 4 tool set (don't fall for those) back when they came out with 18v, 15-20 years ago. First of all, stay away from the package deals. They are no deal at all. Compared to buying individually, you only get one charger, one huge suitcase carry case, and a couple batteries for four tools. You want a sensible sized case for each tool. When do you need all of them and where do you store the huge "hock shop ready" suitcase? You need a changer for every battery and a battery for every tool.

Out of my original set of Dewalts, only the Sawzall has died. It actually fatiqued in the casing... came in two. Still worked, but all that action pulling on the casing mount bosses caused the material to give out...after years of tough work. The circular saw, hammerdrill/driver, and flashlight all still work excellent. Batteries last about 5 years. They sell those before Fathers Day and Christmas in 2-packs for a good discount.

I now own the impact driver and that tool can't be beat. Last week I was working with a friend who has the new Dewalt cordless circular saw. I used that and it is as good as the best corded saw (Dewalt) and better than most. You give absolutely nothing up by losing the cord.

Dewalt sells tools all over the place, they have top-notch support, and make the most and best cordless tools all off of multi-fit (theirs) battery capability. I just think they are really on the ball with this stuff and my daily use is where I get my opinion from. Went with them years ago, had no reason to switch brands, and they keep on coming with more good stuff.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 05-22-2018 at 04:13 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:50 PM   #14
sboris

Can't go wrong with the Milwaukee, I've had a pair of 18 volt for 15 years now. And no shortage on power. I like the steel Chuck too.
They run all those new ones you're talking about here at work, haven't heard any complaints.
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:13 PM   #15
Desert_Eagle02

Sounds like most of the bigger name brands are good to go. I have used a lot of Dewalt in the past and have liked them. Have used Makita and they perform good as well, the battery life seems a little low though.

Just received my Milwaukee's today. Can't wait to put them through the rigours of work and see how they perform. Hopefully good! Haha.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:16 PM   #16
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I've always used Dewalt or Milwakee for work. Did industrial maintenance and they both work well. Now days I only piddle at home and have developed a liking for the Ryobi for home use. I have a couple drills, Sawzall, circular saw, impact, grinder and lights, some odds and ends. They work well, last longer than I do and I wouldn't use any of them in a production setting. Not bad tools, I just don't believe they are as robust as Milwakee or Dewalt.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:08 PM   #17
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

I'm with Tim on this subject. Last summer I needed an impact driver for building decks and shed. Since I already had a 20V DeWalt 1/2" drill I went with same brand for impact driver. Right off the bat I got a pair of big batteries. One in the drill and other in driver. They lasted all day and had plenty of power.

The driver is so nice I wanted one at work. I found a guy selling a DeWalt 1/2" hammer drill and impact driver for $125. The driver is very handy for working on cars. Perfect size for me and well balanced in the hand so you don't get tired.

Now I want a sawzall to go with them
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote