The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2017, 12:22 AM   #1
dgheinen

Relocated Gas Tank with Pump in the Tank

I've been reading what seems like hundreds of threads, looking for the 'best' way to relocate the gas tank and mount the pump in the tank.

Here's what I've gathered:

87-91 Blazer tank can be done, and is cheap, and can use an AC Delco high pressure pump, but you have to modify the underside of the bed to get it to fit, it hangs out the bottom, and the filler neck location is not ideal.

LMC Truck tank: Basically a Blazer tank, but comes in a nice kit with the sender, retention straps, all the hardware, etc. Requires the same modifications as the Blazer tank, AND you have to cut a hole for the pump in the tank. This one seems pretty unlikely.

87ish Jeep Wranger/Cherokee tank is similar in width/length, but being 18ish gallons, isn't as deep (to my super limited understanding). The resistance is different on the sending unit, so your gauge will have to be changed.

69ish Camaro tank: This tank is extremely wide, and is mounted under the frame rails, which means there is a lot of tank hanging out under the rear bumper/diff/etc. Possible clearance issue for lowered rigs. Filler neck is fairly easy to locate though, as it comes out directly behind the license plate, and with a flip down license plate bracket, filling is easy.

Custom/Fabricated fuel cell from venders: Very expensive, often times still requires modification to the underside of the bed for clearance issues. Some places require extra $$ to even put a dang custom fuel cell in a box during shipment.

At this point, I'm sure there are things about the above listed methods that I left out, but none of them seem very direct. Many of the threads I've been reading through the search engine are almost a decade old. Since then, have any new methods come out that are more straight forward?

Or am I just overthinking this, and should I stick with the in-cab tank and do an in line pump? Again, I'm really sorry if this has been done over and over.

-Damon
dgheinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:26 AM   #2
Korted

Re: Relocated Gas Tank with Pump in the Tank

I went with a poly blazer tank and external fuel pump. I put the filler neck inside the bed, behind the wheel well, raised off the floor. Pump is mounted on a plate just forward of the tank. It sets the pump elevation ~2in above the tank bottom, and also holds the pre-filter. I would say the most difficult part is the filler neck - it would be easier with a lift or with the bed off. I ran solid line (and return) up the frame to the firewall, and used teflon hose to the fuel rails. Total cost was ~$600. I would guess that you will spend at least half that even if you keep your in-cab tank.
Korted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:14 PM   #3
jessemthompson

I've had the 87-91 blazer tank and now the Boyd tank. I'm glad I made the investment. It was definitely worth it for me. With the blazer tank I had the straps I used break on me 3 times. If you could find a good way to mount it, it would be great and the price point is very attractive.
jessemthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:41 PM   #4
Paul Y

Damon,

I am going with the Jeep tank, blazer pick up and Walbro 450 pump. A pretty cost effective solution, think I have about $200-250 in it. I had a roll of -6 from a previous build and braided line so you might have to add that to your total.

Why Jeep? Didn't hang down below bumper. Was 'factory' just in case I get stuck somewhere (not that the corner motor factor holds stock of factory stuff here!) but it was just easy.

Let us know what you decide.

P.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658621

If it goes wrong, I blame the Internet...
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:32 PM   #5
jessemthompson

I hear a lot about folks on here using the jeep tanks. How many gallons do they hold?
jessemthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:30 PM   #6
dgheinen

So I'm still digging. It seems like the most "factory" type fit will be the Blazer tank, excepting the new hole for the filler neck. It is a GM tank, with a GM sending unit and GM pump (EP381). I am interested in the 28 gallon tank/sending unit combo, if anyone can shed some light on the parts numbers for those, that'd be great. I really like the idea of a few more inches of clearance under the tank. I found GM P/N 14050685, which it says is for a diesel Blazer (which I know doesn't matter, it's brand new). Is that the correct "shorter" gas tank that people have been using in their LS swaps?
Old 03-17-2017, 09:25 PM   #7
t300

to add to your dilemma, 1970 mustang is also an option. license plate fill. thats the route I'm going, got the tank will start working on it in a month or so.
t300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:48 AM   #8
dgheinen

I did see the Mustang, it looks pretty neat when it's all said and done. That and the flip down license plate holder make it very sleek.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:34 PM   #9
Sturvin

I never liked the idea of a bed fill personally.

I use my truck as a truck and don't want to deal with anything blocking the filler neck. I also don't care for the idea of spilling gas on the wood bed or anything in the bed.

The methods I like the most so far are filling through the stake pocket, filling through the tail light, and filling through the license plate (although this eliminates the idea of putting a trailer hitch here). Some people have also built a side marker fill unit which is nice if you can pull it off.

The tail light, stake pocket and marker light options all require a lot of work to get them to fill properly.

Stake Pocket:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=211579

Tail Light:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=222461

As far as tanks are concerned, I have been told the 87-90 Wrangler (2.5L 4 Cyl EFI, 15 Gal) tank should accept a 90 Ohm GM sending unit.

I know it costs more but so far I'm leaning towards an in tank pump for noise and reliability.

So far, all things considered I am looking at a 69 Camaro tank already built for EFI so it has the baffling and sump along with the in tank pump. But, I have not seen many install pictures of the Camaro tank to confirm how well it fits.
Sturvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:05 PM   #10
Dustytrix

51-53 Chevy sedan tank from tanks inc. I have this and love it, fits in between frame rails and has side filler neck. But you will have to make a filler door/cap . It only holds 13 or 16 gal but that will get me anywhere I drive.
Dustytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:01 AM   #11
Sik66

Quote:
Originally Posted by t300 View Post
to add to your dilemma, 1970 mustang is also an option. license plate fill. thats the route I'm going, got the tank will start working on it in a month or so.
Be interested to see how this turns out!....I was looking into it a while back.....seems have to trim rails a bit to get it in there but....
Sik66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:10 PM   #12
boynton

Here is the side marker light in my 70 step side

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=617630&page=8
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=584499
1970 SWB One Owner Step Side 6.0 LY6/6L90
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=617630 Junkyard's 1971 short wide
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...86#post7531186
boynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:31 PM   #13
Sik66

Which tank did end up going with?
Sik66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:29 PM   #14
tmills213

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemthompson View Post
I hear a lot about folks on here using the jeep tanks. How many gallons do they hold?

I am doing the same thing and I think its 15 or less. cant remember. little smaller but its ok, ill deal with it.
tmills213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:40 PM   #15
Liltroy

i grafted a flush mount motorcyle filler into the back of my passenger side fender on my stepside. no bed modification necessary.87 model 25 gallon efi blazer tank
Liltroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:03 PM   #16
crakarjax

I went with the 15 gallon baffled wrangler tank, and here's a list of every single part needed to run it with a returnless LS system using AN line and fittings. Total cost $280

Edit: the image hosting on this forum is atrocious, here's a legible copy: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzE...ew?usp=sharing
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2017, 08:40 PM   #17
mongocanfly
Post Whore

That's a good breakdown crakar..we need more info like this on what people are doing...but..I never saw it mentioned what trucks these are going in
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:04 AM   #18
crakarjax

Mine's a 68 but I imagine there's enough room back there in *all* trucks for the wrangler tank, it doesn't fill the entire rail space on my truck. In fact if centered, there might be some extra room for dual pipes. I'm planning a Y and single 3.5" to one side of my tank.

Last edited by crakarjax; 04-25-2017 at 11:43 AM.
crakarjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:30 PM   #19
Liltroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
That's a good breakdown crakar..we need more info like this on what people are doing...but..I never saw it mentioned what trucks these are going in
My "breakdown" is in my build thread.
Liltroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:41 PM   #20
michael bustamante

i just mounte the wrangler tank with the blazer sender in my 67 stepper and i actually had to lower the tank an inch and still had to cut the crossmember on the bed to clear the sender.
its a 17 gallon tank
Old 04-27-2017, 12:48 PM   #21
crakarjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
i just mounte the wrangler tank with the blazer sender in my 67 stepper and i actually had to lower the tank an inch and still had to cut the crossmember on the bed to clear the sender.
its a 17 gallon tank
So you're saying you mounted it too high?
Old 04-30-2017, 07:08 PM   #22
michael bustamante

No I mounted the tank right up to the crossmember from underneath and the sender went right inside the bed where the wood would lay. I had to use spacers and cut the crossmamber so the bed would lay on the frame
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2017, 08:47 PM   #23
crakarjax

Ah interesting... I was thinking about raising my wood bed to clear the differential and this might be another good reason to do that. Mine is a longbed so I guess have a bit of room to move the tank fore/aft to avoid the crossmembers if needed.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:42 AM   #24
sangell

I was in the same boat, wanted to use a OE style in tank pump. After a lot of research and looking at aftermarket tanks I ended up building my own and made the filler go through a folding driver side tail light.
Attached Images

Last edited by sangell; 05-03-2017 at 11:49 AM.
sangell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:34 PM   #25
Green67Stepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post
I went with the 15 gallon baffled wrangler tank, and here's a list of every single part needed to run it with a returnless LS system using AN line and fittings. Total cost $280

Edit: the image hosting on this forum is atrocious, here's a legible copy: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzE...ew?usp=sharing
I should still be able to run tyour sending unit and pump correct?

here are the fittings I came up with to get the return-style system setup.

Does this seem correct?

Last edited by Green67Stepper; 05-10-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Green67Stepper is offline   Reply With Quote