The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2017, 01:48 AM   #1
wertach

89 Chevy 350 rebuilt but a noise

I've got an 89' Silverado with a 350. It had a rod knocking slightly a year ago. I took it to a guy to rebuild because I was too sick at the time to do it myself. I'm better now so I'm about to take on the noise that was there when I got it back. I have built many motors over the years, just not in a long time and without computers controlling them.

When I went to pick it up, it sounded like a lifter was bad. He took it back in and claimed he replaced the lifters and cam with new ones again. I doubt that because he didn't even hook up all of the sensors on the motor! Not too good!

He said drive it and it will get better or worse then I can find it! Like a dummy I drove it and then he said sorry, your warranty has ran out!

It has a slight skip that I can't seem to find but runs good as long as you are accelerating. New plugs, wires, ETC.

The timing is way out of whack, if it is set properly, unplugged while setting, it runs like crap. I have to set it by ear and then it is at 22 degrees ATDC.

Any ideas before I tear in to it?
wertach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:54 AM   #2
Rickysnickers

Re: 89 Chevy 350 rebuilt but a noise

I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I think your timing is way off. You should have something around 14 degrees BTDC initially and then something like 32-36 BTDC total timing.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:13 AM   #3
wertach

Yes I agree. Thanks!
Old 10-15-2017, 03:35 AM   #4
wertach

According to my book the timing should be on TDC or (0) with the wire unplugged I know that for sure. It is 14 I think, with it plugged in at low rpm. I think around 800? I don't have the book in front of me.

The guy runs a junk yard, and he could have mixed up the balancer and it doesn't match up? If I remember correctly the balencers were motor specific back in the 60's and 70's.

With his apparent lack of knowledge he may have blown the computer also, have no way of checking.

The valve tick sound bothers me bad, it is loud, people comment on it because it is so loud!

My first step, obviously is to try adjusting the valves, that may clear the noise and the skip. Hopefully! If so I can live with the rest of it.