The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2020, 07:56 PM   #1
3x2GTO

Chevy 4.3 V6 info

I'm thinking about buying a running 90 degree 4.3 V6 for a project vehicle that I own and need some advice. I haven't started looking for an engine yet, but I don't think I'll have too much trouble in finding one that's complete with low miles. I think I should look for a Vortec with 1 piece rear main. Are all 4.3 V6 engines GM corporate or are there differences between, let's say one from an s10 versus 1 from a buick? Also, I see pontiac had a 4.3 V8 engine, but I'd like to keep with the V6 plan. I know most people thinks it's going backwards, but whatever I engine I end up with will be getting a cam / kit and carburetor. Ideas? Thanks!
3x2GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 09:08 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Chevy 4.3 V6 info

I believe the 4.3 V6 was manufactured by Chevrolet and used by several GM divisions. They were all the same basic engine. The one-piece rear main seal was introduced in 1986, so only a couple of years were made with two-piece seals. In 92 they got a balance shaft. You can tell if it's a balance shaft block because it won't have a mechanical fuel pump provision. The 2013-2014 engines had coil-on-plug ignition.

You don't want the 262 V8 - that was a dog.

Last edited by truckster; 04-04-2020 at 09:15 PM.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:17 PM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

If you have to use a 4.3 the best version is the 95+ Vortec. A decent cam swap with bolt ons, and your above 275hp at the crank. The balance shaft is actually desired for most circumstances as it helps smooth out the split pin odd fire arrangement or what ever is the proper term. It only cost 7hp average from what I read. So I would think before going with earlier versions.

I have to ask why are you going with a 4.3? Personally the trucks I have had that had them or friends that had them. Either work or personal. It either got the same or worse mileage then V8's.

If mpg you after a 283, 307, or 327 all work better. For power a well built 350 will get the same mpg, and have better power.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:36 PM   #4
AcampoDave

Have you read the Wikki on the 4.3 liter V/6. Your thread prompted me to look it up since my 2017 Silverado has one. It was a good read. Apparently mine is a GenV. It consistently gets 19.9 mpg with mostly city driving and the tranny always keeps it in it's sweet spot. It's got a lot of power for a little fella too
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote