The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2017, 06:10 PM   #1
95 S_Trucker

Re: Thoughts Regarding Wheel and Axle Swap on 59 Viking 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1959Viking40 View Post
HI Viking40, I am in the same boat as you!

It appears you've had the same thought as me, with your option 3 listing above. Another option that I am leaning towards is running a 90's chevy 3500 "HD" axle front and rear. 4x4 was not an option for these trucks, but that is not as important to me and the 2wd front axle beams seem to be much easier found than than 8/10 lug 450/550 front axles from the fords.

I'll be tracking your progress here. I have no desire to deal with ABS and I believe the 90's chevy's did not have that, but they were disk brake.

Good luck!
FYI, the 3500HD from 91-94 did not have ABS, they did have ABS from 95-02. There are sensors mounted to the backing plate that can easily be removed. There is not a sensor on the rear axle.

I have a 96 I can get measurements from if you need them.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:26 PM   #2
viKING40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 S_Trucker View Post
I have a 96 I can get measurements from if you need them.
That would be helpful, I would be interested in front track (middle of tire to middle of tire) or something similar to compare axle width, as well as leaf spring width (inside or outside). Bolt pattern would be helpful too, but I can also look that up separately.

You also said there is no sensor on the rear axle. 2 channel ABS?

Again thanks for the thoughts, I had over looked the 3500HD as a potential donor, though I didn’t state it earlier it is my hope to keep everything up to the original 14,000 GVW the truck had from the factory and the 3500HD does that.
viKING40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:35 AM   #3
95 S_Trucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by viKING40 View Post
That would be helpful, I would be interested in front track (middle of tire to middle of tire) or something similar to compare axle width, as well as leaf spring width (inside or outside). Bolt pattern would be helpful too, but I can also look that up separately.

You also said there is no sensor on the rear axle. 2 channel ABS?

Again thanks for the thoughts, I had over looked the 3500HD as a potential donor, though I didn’t state it earlier it is my hope to keep everything up to the original 14,000 GVW the truck had from the factory and the 3500HD does that.
The abs unit would get its input from the 2 front sensors, and the vss in the transmission, so it's a 3 channel. It was advertised as 4 wheel abs(most trucks without traction control are 3 channel).

You are right about the gvw. Gvw for the earlier 3500hd was 14,500, the later ones were 15,000.

I can get some measurements Wednesday or Thursday.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote