The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
dantimdad

rough surface

My 66 had a bunch of surface rust on the a posts. So, I removed the drip rails and cleaned it up with a wire wheel and all the metal seems strong, just pitted and rough. Nothing through the metal.

Should I just skim coat them with filler then sand, prime and paint? If so, what kind of filler would work best for this type of problem?

Thanks,
Steven

Matt. 6:27 "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?”

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...=507266&page=2
dantimdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
theastronaut

Re: rough surface

If the pits are very deep, you'll need to skim coat to fill them in. If they aren't too deep you can spray Slick Sand over the area to fill them in. Slick Sand will work good for general high build priming/blocking when leveling surfaces.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
madcow75

Let me ask this question aren't you supposed to prime the bare metal first before you fill?
madcow75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
hugger6933

It can be done either way. I think in this case I would spray 2 coats of epoxy primer. Then after plenty of curing time I would scuff it up and add the filler, Probably use a finishing putty [2 part]. It is like body filler only it is a lot lighter and can be used on top of paint or primer. I like it because of its thinner and more workable . After the finishing putty, [you will have to decide if it is needed or not due to the size and depth of the pitting] I would follow that with 2 to 3 coats of high build primer. After the first high build primming I would sand it down with 220 grit on a da sander then recoat with high build. Then giude coat it with either your chice of spray type or rub on powder type of guide coating. Block sand on a long board with 220 grit then Once more with the high build primer. I know it sounds like a lot of primer and it is , but most will end up as sanding dust on the shop floor. After the last prime get the long board back out this time with 400 grit and block it out . Then you are ready for sealer [if you plan on using it] or the paint . Good luck and happy sanding
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcow75 View Post
Let me ask this question aren't you supposed to prime the bare metal first before you fill?
Filler is made to be put over bare metal or properly prepped primer, as long as it isn't etching primer.

As far as filling the pits, just using regular high build is kinda sketchy if they're deep. Primer shrinks as it cures and will sink down into the pits. Slick Sand is a polyester primer and has very little shrinkage compared to normal high build primer. Or just using body filler will work fine, since it's made to build up thick (within reason) and no deeper than rust pits are you won't have a problem of the filler being too thick to be stable. I'd rather use a product that was meant for building up a certain thickness (filler or Slick Sand) than a product meant as a surfacer (high build primer). There's nothing wrong with body filler when it's used properly and you keep it reasonably thin. I'd much rather have a 1/16" thick layer of filler to cover an imperfection than to use multiple coats of high build to achieved the same thickness- the filler will be far more stable.
Posted via Mobile Device
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #6
dantimdad

Yes, it sounds like a lot of primer, but, I really hate body filler. I think I will try it that way. I want little to no body filler on the truck. I know it's dreaming, but, I am replacing all the rusted sheet metal. There really are no dents anywhere except one in the driver's door from the catch strap breaking.

Steven

Matt. 6:27 "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?”

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...=507266&page=2
dantimdad is offline   Reply With Quote