The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2015, 06:22 PM   #1
Nima
Blue 67

Need Welding tip/help

Hi:

I am very (I really mean very!) new to welding. I just started to use my Hobart handler which I got as a gift 3 years ago!. At this point I am just trying to practice with any piece of scrap metal that I can find. I am also watching a lot of online videos.
My problem at this point is that I am burning through the metal almost every time that I start the welding. I have played with wire speed and amperage but I have a hard time to find the right spot. I started with the set up that the machine suggest but I still have issues. I am just using the flux core wire that the machine came with since I don't have the gas bottles at this time.
I appreciate the help.
1979 Camaro Z28: 5.3 vortec conversion with build TH350: drivable project, Fun to drive
1992 Camaro RS convertible (Z28 clone): 5.3 conversion with build T5: on going project
2005 Silverado 2500, 4x4 Duramax, original owner
Nima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:46 PM   #2
dfrank

Re: Need Welding tip/help

Just had my dad who has been a welder for 35+ years read this and he said to try and learn with thicker metal first until you can get the hang of it without burning through and then move onto the thinner stuff when you get better. Also cut back on the wire speed and voltage and that should help with the burning through. If you have the time than maybe consider taking a night time welding class at your local community college.
dfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:28 PM   #3
truckster

I would agree. Sheet metal is really hard to weld until you get the hang of it. Start with thicker metal (you can buy scraps at a metal recycling yard) and weld, weld, weld, until you have some technique down. Then you can start working on thinner metals.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:03 PM   #4
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

You don't usually run beads on body panels, its mostly a series of spot welds. Set your voltage selector to the recommended setting. take a piece of what your welding and clamp the ground to it. with one hand on the wire speed and the other on the gun. lay the nozzle on the metal and pull the trigger adjust the wire speed until it gives you a nice sizzle noise with no popping and cracking noises. it should be a nice steady sizzle. it will still burn through the sheet so you have to move the gun as you do this. Do this to set it on each thickness of metal you weld until you get used to the machine then you'll know basically where to set it. Weldingtipsandtricks.com is a great resource for welding
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:27 PM   #5
Nima
Blue 67

Thanks guys.
I did take few night classes couple of years ago. You are right, we were practicing on thicker steel, a lot thicker than sheet metal. Also, at the class the instructor was helping to set the machines. I just had some 16 gauge scrap panels sitting around and I thought I give a shot. I'll get some thicker scraps and see how things go.
Thanks again.
1979 Camaro Z28: 5.3 vortec conversion with build TH350: drivable project, Fun to drive
1992 Camaro RS convertible (Z28 clone): 5.3 conversion with build T5: on going project
Old 01-04-2015, 10:29 PM   #6
tinydb84

I have found the settings on the chart for the machine are best if you are running a stringer in a horizontal position.

I tend to run my wire 10% lower than the chart and whip or do "eeeeeee"

I would suggest turning it wayyyyy down and just practice welding beads on a piece of 1/8 or thicker metal. Once you are comfortable with laying beads, turn up the heat, then once you are comfortable with that, try to stick some metal together.
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:23 AM   #7
sduckworth13

A big helpful tip is to make sure your metal is clean. I like to use a wire wheels to clean my metal. Post a picture of your settings on your Hobart if you get a chance and a picture of your welds.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:20 AM   #8
Nima
Blue 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
A big helpful tip is to make sure your metal is clean. I like to use a wire wheels to clean my metal. Post a picture of your settings on your Hobart if you get a chance and a picture of your welds.
Will do. Thanks
Old 01-06-2015, 04:00 PM   #9
cg285

and i say you should start with learning o/a first - then you will find everything comes easier after you learn puddle control. but everyone wants to jump right into the mig
cg285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:37 PM   #10
Nima
Blue 67

Hey guys:
It has been a while since my original post but finally I got hold of some scrap metal and free time to practice my welding. I am going to post some pictures and hopefully you can tell me what I am doing wrong or right. First thing that I have to mention is I am using 0.035 flux core wire since my machine came with it and I have not invested on a shielding gas tank yet.
Second, I have practiced on a piece of 14 G and a piece of 3/16" steel.
On the first picture, I just ran some beads on the 3/16 and play with the settings. The lower (bigger) short run is what my machine's (Hobart Handler 187) chart was suggesting. The rest, I either increase or decrease wire speed and/or voltage just to see and hear what happens.
The second one is what I did on the 14G!!. The first run (the hole on the left side) is what the chart suggested and the rest is what I did trying to adjust the setting or my technique. I know I am very new and should practice on thicker metal but I found this piece and I will end up doing thinner metal any way.
The last picture is me trying to weld two pieces of 3/16 together!. I am sorry the picture didn't turn out very good. My piece of scrap metal was actually two pieces of 3/16 spot welded together therefore I tried to practice to complete the line but as you can see, it seems that I am melting the metal at the top. I have circled the spot weld that somebody else did. That one looks good but mine (the 3 before and after the circle) doesn't look good.
I appreciate your inputs and sorry for the long description!
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2015, 09:02 PM   #11
enaberif

With thinner metals you need faster wire speed with lower amperage and you need to move quickly. You don't want to much heat in the same spot or you'll blow through.

With thicker metal you can use slower speed with lower amperage and move slower withouot problems.
enaberif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:12 PM   #12
cableguy0

With wire that thick welding sheet metal is going to be a pain. The wire itself needs more heat just to melt. You should be using .023 wire and gas on sheet metal. On sheet metal generally you aren't going to run a bead of weld. You are just going to do a bunch of spot welds. They should be spaced out and eventually fill in. On thicker metal go ahead and run a bead. Your welds with flux core wire are not going to be super clean or neat. Get the gas and thinner wire and your life will be a lot easier.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:14 PM   #13
cableguy0

Also a spot weld shouldn't be near that big. It should appear as a single dot.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:21 AM   #14
Nima
Blue 67

Thanks for all the inputs. It seems shielding gas, smaller wire, spot weld and faster runs is in order for sheet metal.
Any idea why the 3/16 was melting on the 3 picture when I was welding the two pieces of 3/16 together? The sheets are the same thickness what does it cause one to melt not the other?!
Old 03-13-2015, 02:38 PM   #15
_Ogre

from what i see your too hot and just welding in a straight line
most welding involves a weave, try using a series of C's, J's or hooks when you weld
as you weld across the metal the torch moves like this JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ
even on the thick stuff you want to use a weave of some sort to control the puddle

try welding a simple butt joint in heavier metal; straight and then weaved
the weave weld will eliminate welding like what's in the circle
the weave also controls the heat better, rather than all heat on the edge of the plate

unlike most here; i prefer fluxcore for a home welder
most of my truk; all the frame, all the bed mods, were done with a 120 volt lincoln fluxcore welder

boxed frame, crossmembers

mustII ifs, motor mounts

bed mods, shaved bed rails, gas door, roll pan, sectioned trunk lid (20ga trunk lid was a challenge w/fluxcore)

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:16 PM   #16
Nima
Blue 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
from what i see your too hot and just welding in a straight line
most welding involves a weave, try using a series of C's, J's or hooks when you weld
as you weld across the metal the torch moves like this JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ
even on the thick stuff you want to use a weave of some sort to control the puddle

try welding a simple butt joint in heavier metal; straight and then weaved
the weave weld will eliminate welding like what's in the circle
the weave also controls the heat better, rather than all heat on the edge of the plate

unlike most here; i prefer fluxcore for a home welder
most of my truk; all the frame, all the bed mods, were done with a 120 volt lincoln fluxcore welder

boxed frame, crossmembers

mustII ifs, motor mounts

bed mods, shaved bed rails, gas door, roll pan, sectioned trunk lid (20ga trunk lid was a challenge w/fluxcore)

Nice!
What size wires are you using for the frame and the sheet metal?
Old 03-13-2015, 10:18 PM   #17
Nima
Blue 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
With wire that thick welding sheet metal is going to be a pain. The wire itself needs more heat just to melt. You should be using .023 wire and gas on sheet metal. On sheet metal generally you aren't going to run a bead of weld. You are just going to do a bunch of spot welds. They should be spaced out and eventually fill in. On thicker metal go ahead and run a bead. Your welds with flux core wire are not going to be super clean or neat. Get the gas and thinner wire and your life will be a lot easier.
That makes sense. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Also a spot weld shouldn't be near that big. It should appear as a single dot.
I think that is my problem. I am trying to run a bead on a thin metal. How do you weld a exhaust pipe though?! Just spot weld all around?! how does that seal?
Old 03-14-2015, 12:49 AM   #18
Stepside Jim

Hey Nima, I've been doing just as you asked about concerning sheet metal and exhaust pipe spot welding.

I'm in the habit of taking pictures as I work for my build thread, I'll post a few for you.

Here is some either 18 or 16 gauge sheet metal, slightly thicker than most body panels but shows the process.

The welds are done on the outside, I will turn up the heat setting slightly to get good penetration with each spot weld. It takes patience to get a feel for when to stop welding each spot before a burn through.

I figure good penetration is when the underside looks like you welded on it also, but it's the penetration of the top weld.

I'm going to grind the outside weld so the penetration is important, once I'm done grinding, the inside penetration is going to be my strength hold the pieces together.

The same goes for exhaust pipe for me. I did the spot weld technique on the outside of the pipes that are butt welded together. Looking down the pipe, the welds look like they were welded on the inside but it's the penetration from the outside.

Practice is the key, but spot welding opens up your possibilities.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:40 AM   #19
cableguy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nima View Post
That makes sense. Thanks

I think that is my problem. I am trying to run a bead on a thin metal. How do you weld a exhaust pipe though?! Just spot weld all around?! how does that seal?
Your running too hot also. Thinner wire will allow you to run lower heat.No reason you cant run a bead on exhaust pipe. I do it everyday. Also as mentioned it looks like your just dragging the weld gun in a straight line. You need to either run a c pattern or I do circles just move the tip of the welder in a circular pattern and push slightly forward after each circle. I could show you in about 30 seconds but trying to explain in text is very difficult.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:13 PM   #20
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nima View Post
Nice!
What size wires are you using for the frame and the sheet metal?
i use the same .035 fluxcore for everything
makes it easy to switch from welding frame to welding sheet metal

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote