The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2017, 03:27 PM   #1
oldasi

Question Thought I had a beauty ..... BUT

I bought this truck '72 Chev about 10 yrs ago, drove it only a few times then was stored for 10 yrs, retired into a small business that became a full time (semi retirement that was not semi) job. Recently business activity slowed down as patent rights expired, now really semi retired so decided to get the truck out and start to clean it up as my current ride an '05 Murano is beyond its limit. Prior to storing I did the brakes and installed 4 new tires, rode smooth, no vibrations handled perfectly. Have it out now and the same ride.
Thought Id start by finding out more about the truck, determined it had a long horn box, discovered that the options list on the glove box door had been removed so got the info package from GM, surprise surprise ............
Based on the spec sheets I got from GM.........
Appears interior has been changed to the Cheyenne or the Cheyenne Super, can't tell which one, spec sheet shows black vinyl bench seat, I thought that perhaps a different cab may have been put on the truck however the ID plate bears the correct VIN # and doesn't appear to have been replaced, rivets appear to be original, paint colour of the door matches cab paint etc so again it doesn't appear to have had a different cab installed, had large mirros which are on the spec sheet. This interior is in perfect condition, dash had a 3" split in the vinyl strip, seat looks new and rest of items. Another item that causes questions is the cab has a cargo light with inside switch that doesn't appear to be a standard item unless you have a Cheyenne and is not listed on the spec sheet as an option
Now THE REAL ISSUE OR CONCERN ........ Spec sheet shows the box to be 98" yet its 104", spec sheet shows wheelbase to be 127" yet I quickly measured it and thought it was 133" making it the long horn box wheelbase. As I've been working on the truck I noticed the gap between the front of the rear tire on the right side was different that the on the left side, left is 7", right is was 5", measurements taken from same points, bolt head to face of tire both sides. With that I measured the wheel base again, more accurately and left side is 134 1/2" vs right side as 132", measured center of hub cap to center of hub cap. Looking closer at things I noticed back side of cab to face of box, same points each side, right is 1 3/4" and left is 1/2"
Engine serial number matches spec sheet #
Where do I find the serial or model # of the transmission ???????
Am fortunate to have a vehicle ramp lift and have looked at the frame in detail, don't see it bent or twisted or welded to add length to the frame. It looks to me like someone took the vehicle as the spec sheet shows based on the VIN, exchanged the frame with a long horn frame (if there was such), exchanged the cab interior to one of the Cheyenne models. In the 60's and 70's I heard rumors that guys who worked on the assy line would order a base vehicle and have options installed that weren't on the order, wives tail or not ???
Where do I measure from point to point to get the wheelbase correct and determine what's wrong ? What's the proper measurements for the center of the axle within the wheel well openings ? Where would I find measurements of the frame ?
In spite of all the above for what I paid for it I'm satisfied, just want to solve the major issue of the wheel base, it drives and handles perfectly. Anyone willing to contact me direct may do so through my email address as liphook@i-zoom.net I'm in Ontario Canada, just outside Lindsay
oldasi is offline   Reply With Quote