The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2018, 07:03 PM   #1
ncpetersc

Opinions on Rislone

Since another oil change is in my near future, I thought I'd solicit opinions on Rislone oil treatment.

I inherited my '72 about two years ago, and did some online reading when I first got it. I can no longer site my sources, but somehow got the idea that a quart of Rislone with an oil change (using a high mileage 10w-30) was a good idea.

Any opinions? Snake oil? Harmful? Helpful?
ncpetersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:09 PM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: Opinions on Rislone

use the website click on products ,There are a bunch of rislone treatment products .

https://rislone.com/?from_international=1
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:27 PM   #3
dmjlambert

There's 2 camps, one has the people who think all additives are not necessary. The car manufacturers are all in that camp. The other camp has the people who swear by this or that additive. I was in the group thinking additives are not necessary, but then was recently converted to believe Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer does good. I have not tried the Rislone, sorry, but do have the info on Lucas.

My wife's Mitsubishi Endeavor started having engine noise, sounded like clattering going on in there, and it consumed a lot of oil. It ran a little rough and had hesitation. I took it to my mechanic. Engine code computer said there was intermittent missing. He said it is probably the exhaust valves. He would need to tear into it. He suggested change the oil from 5w20 regular to 10w30 high mileage oil and possibly add an oil treatment if I feel like it, and see what happens. If it doesn't work out, bring the car back and he'll tear into it. My brother is a believer in Lucas, so I decided to try out the Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer. I was not yet due for oil change, so I drained out a quart of oil and added the stabilizer. That Endeavor straightened out and flew right immediately. Noise stopped and oil consumption went way down. Engine code cleared. Smooth running. Several thousand miles have now gone by (10000 probably). I add a quart of that stuff with each oil change, and change the oil more frequently on my mechanic's suggestion. I'm going with 4000 miles between changes.

My 69 Chevy truck was also getting a noisier engine and consuming and leaking more oil than I wanted. I had forgotten what oil my engine builder advised to use, and I changed it for some 10w30 at my next oil change. It became noisy and leaked and consumed oil like crazy within a thousand miles or so. I dug through my notes and found he had advised 20w50. I switched back to 20w50 and added the Lucas as well, and it runs better and quieter and no longer leaks.

Last edited by dmjlambert; 07-22-2018 at 08:40 PM. Reason: spelling
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:38 PM   #4
AussieinNC

Synthetic engine oils lack the ZDDP (zinc) necessary for flat tappet engines...

If you are running an early style flat cam engine, you must be using an oil additive, regardless of manufacturer.

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:33 PM   #5
ncpetersc

Okay, thanks guys. I think I'll add the Rislone with the oil change still.

Nice first hand experience with the Lucas, hopefully this is similar.
ncpetersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:31 AM   #6
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

My first use of Rislone was when I was a teenager, right after Moses came down off the mountain.

Rislone is a detergent. Rislone will not help an engine that is burning oil. If you have a sticking lifter it can be your best friend. It is also good for cleaning the gunk out of an engine, but it takes a while. It does little good to use it unless you have these problems. Today's oils have detergents that will keep an engine clean with regular oil change.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:02 AM   #7
MJN

Incorrect, not all synthetic oils lack the required zinc for flat tappet engines. Amsoil Z-Rod is made just for flat tappet engines and has the high zinc levels that are required. No additive required when using Amsoil Z-Rod.
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...?code=ZRTQT-EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
Synthetic engine oils lack the ZDDP (zinc) necessary for flat tappet engines...

If you are running an early style flat cam engine, you must be using an oil additive, regardless of manufacturer.

'72 GMC Sierra Custom K2500- in progress
'08 GMC Envoy Denali
'12 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
'17 GMC Yukon XL
VCCA member #58596
http://www.nohrco.com
MJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:36 AM   #8
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJN View Post
Incorrect, not all synthetic oils lack the required zinc for flat tappet engines. Amsoil Z-Rod is made just for flat tappet engines and has the high zinc levels that are required. No additive required when using Amsoil Z-Rod.
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...?code=ZRTQT-EA
I’ve been using Mobil one synthetic for a gazillion years on my old flat tappet engines, no additives and no problems ever.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:07 PM   #9
MJN

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
I’ve been using Mobil one synthetic for a gazillion years on my old flat tappet engines, no additives and no problems ever.
That's good, probably because Mobil 1, depending on which viscosity you run and assuming you don't use 0W20 or 0W30, has between 800 and 1200 ppm of phosphorus and between 900 and 1300 ppm of zinc. The Amsoil Z-Rod has 1320 ppm phosphorus and 1440 ppm zinc. Mobil 1 is formulated to meet the API SN spec and Amsoil meets the API SL spec for gasoline applications.
I wasn't arguing the point that Amsoil was the only oil for flat tappet engines but the myth that synthetic oils in general lack the required ZDDP for flat tappets and an additive is required regardless.

This is also an interesting read on the ZDDP topic.
https://www.sae.org/publications/tec.../2004-01-2986/
'72 GMC Sierra Custom K2500- in progress
'08 GMC Envoy Denali
'12 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
'17 GMC Yukon XL
VCCA member #58596
http://www.nohrco.com
MJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 06:21 PM   #10
mike16

what does not go through the pick up screen glogs up the pick up screen,

I think thats a quote from Moses or Corinthians...
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote