The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2003, 10:56 PM   #1
Julian Rorick

What should my first concerns of getting a 69 gmc pick up on the road ?

im buying my naibors 69 GMC pick up i dont have alot of money but i definetly want the truck its bin sitting for some time but its in exelant shape hardly any visable rust and theres never bin any attempts of restoration it runs and has bin sitting for about ten years and started no problem last sumer, i want to drive it home its about 1000 KM. away what do you guys think would be good things to repair or replace on it ?

ps. what do you think it might be worth$ it has origanal paint radio only one owner always had a canipy on the back in a realy dry climate three on the tree
Julian Rorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 11:02 PM   #2
adamls
Gotta Startem Early

The safety things first, ie brakes, but 1000 km is a long way in a truck that has been sitting for 10 yrs and is all original. Might think about trailering it.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:05 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

That sounds like quite a haul on an unknown truck. (600 miles if I am not mistaken) I would think about towing it.
If you realy want to try driving it, i would inspect/replace the tires, inspect the brakes and chainge out the brake fluid, give the thing a real good tune up and service it and carry a phone card and a credit card...borrow them if you have to.
A triple a membership card can get you towed if you need it. (do they have triple a up there?)
And I have to say, welcome to the forum, you'll learn just about everything you'll ever want to know off of these pages.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 11:08 PM   #4
Class of 69

Wheel bearings,siezed brakes,rotten tires....... I know the excitement,,, but save yourself a lot of potential grief and trailer it. Check it over good when you get it home... if it brakes down there, it's a whole lot closer!!!
Old 04-15-2003, 11:11 PM   #5
oldsub86

I have a friend who bought an old car in Vancouver last year and drove it back to Winnipeg. He spent as much as he paid for the car having the tires, brakes etc done before he left Vancouver. Then had to have it towed to a shop 2 mornings in a row on the way home as it would not start. The 3rd night, he let it idle all night in the motel parking lot and managed to get home the next day. An adventure that he quite enjoyed.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:48 PM   #6
Julian Rorick

well actuall we do have triple A but its called CAA instead, the trucks not seized or anything the engine started no problem and about three years ago it was driven around a litle. i was thinking of kinda limping it home like driving/towing to the nearist shop then getting the required work done. But what do you guys think such a truck might be worth i bet the guy will go for about 200$cnd but i bet its worth more as the truck was taken care of, no dents or anything like that

1991 nissan pathfinder
Old 04-15-2003, 11:56 PM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

2 bills, esp with what your dollar is worth sounds like an awsome deal.
3 years is a looooong time to be sitting and expect a long trip like that. My first truck sat for a few years untill I got it and repaired it. I then put it to work delivering pizzas. It never gave me a single problem while delivering for 2 months. Then i had to drive it 1000 miles to go to school at Fort Knox Kentucky. (I was stationed in Fort hood Texas) I had so many problems it was unreal. head gasket, radiato, busted valve, more carb fires than I care to remember, timing chain streatched which was causing the fires and the busted valve...
The list goes on.
There is nohing worse than being stranded on the side of the road in the middle of no where Kentucky, 30 miles from the closest exit with any population, 1 in the morning watching a 6 foot flame roar out from under your hood as you open it trying to remember how to use your fire extinguisher. (it's amazing how quick you forget the simple stuff sometimes) I realized I was 100 miles from my desination, 150 miles from where I was supposed to be, and about 1000 miles from home.
Anything can (and will) happen.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 12:01 AM   #8
Solarus1981

It's only worth what you will pay for it. Who cares what other people think it's worth? If it is something you have always wanted.

Take me for example, I have a 67 c-10 that has been beaten to hell in it's 90K mile life, its realistically only worth the engine I put in it, but hell.. it's what I have always wanted... I love the look of the 67's. I paid 1100 for it, and wouldnt let it go for anything less then 5K, and that would only be to somene that would restore it.

As far as driving the thing 600 miles, you're brave, very brave. Take it to a tire shop, have the brakes redone right there, as well as the fluids, have the tires and sus. checked, take a cell phone ( if you have service all the way) a phone card and atleast enough money to have it towed all the way from one point to the next...

Last time we had something towed from Western Wa, to Central wa (194 miles) it cost 600 bucks. But, 200 of that was the hookup fee as the poor Acura Vigor was smashed between a tractor-trailer and a cement wall, and it took a large flatbed to do it.

Good luck and happy motoring!!

Looking to rent a house in Puget Sound area, anyone have one?
Solarus1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 06:00 AM   #9
Daves72'GMC

Smile

When I got mine from my Grandparents. It had been sitting for a year, I put in a new battery ,tires.I drove it 4-5hrs to get it to my inlaws, then had it shipped from Calif. to N.C-smart thing to do, then had the whole braking system changed, Change plug wires -they were sparking and I had a bad fuel leak amazing it didn't catch fire.Change fuel lines and check for fuel leaks and change all fluids and change vacume lines and check for water and oil leaks. Congrats!
Daves72'GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 10:36 AM   #10
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

I'm with shipping or trailering as well, but if you decide to drive, change the tires, check the brakes, change the fluids, check the tightness of the steering, and drive slow.

(everything that Dave said)
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 12:42 PM   #11
lpaine

Julian, Welcome to the board from down the road in Qualicum. (I can see Hornby Isl. from my front window) If you can get that truck for $200 that would be an awesome deal, how motivated is the seller? If he does'nt know what that trucks worth then all the better for you. Are you picking up the truck in the okanagan? If so, you're gonna have lots of hills to deal with on the way back- You will definitely need to check the brakes before you hit the road, maybe get them checked by a shop before you head back or take some tools and do it yourself, you are gonna want to take tools with you anyway, as previously mentioned a truck thats been sitting for that long is going to need a careful going over before its road-ready. You might want to replace the belts, too and check the alternator and battery for voltage/charging. Maybe take a friend who's mechanically inclined and a cell phone. Be prepared I always say! O.K. enough nagging.I sound like an old Den- Mother. Best of Luck
lpaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 03:35 PM   #12
greasemonkey

Don't know if my dad was lucky, but he went and picked up my truck from NM and drove it all the way back to FL with very few problems. The only thing that happened was when he went up hills the engine would knock. He went through a couple quarts of oil too. The day after he got home though, the fuel pump started spitting gas at the exhaust manifold, so I think he was a very lucky guy.
1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 04:10 PM   #13
Julian Rorick

Well guys thanks alot it sounds like im in for a real adventure im gonna ask the guy who im buying it off what problems it might have and im gonna try and do all the nececary work my self i think im gonna go for it but not untill july and im gonna get a good tune-up before i attemt