The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2020, 09:55 AM   #1
88Stanger

Hydroboost dual return lines and 1 way to handle them

When running a Hydro boost brake system you end up with really 2 return lines that must go back to the power steering reservoir and pump. Typically they supply a "T" fitting to convert this to a single. On my "69 C10 i used all new PTFE lines (-8AN) and then i got a "Y" fitting to try to help the possible issue with the two coming into one and the troubles some have mentioned with this. The "Y" seems to work and maybe the larger -8AN helped, but on my "66 C10 i was trying to find a better solution. I know that there are some res. with 2 return lines possible, but i really like running all AN fittings and that i am having a huge issue with the pump i have now. The return line existing is in the middle of the damn Res. and this is causing all kinds of interference with my new March Pulley serpentine belt conversion, so i am going to remove the existing return line, weld up the hole left, and i bought 2 -6AN bulkhead fittings. This will allow me to find to places on the res. that i can insert these and tada, two AN fitting returns.
I got the idea after i bought a bulkhead fitting from POL that sells one specifically for this issue with Hydroboost, but theirs is basically a barbed like fitting, but it should work also if you did not want to go all AN.
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:24 PM   #2
Cris

Re: Hydroboost dual return lines and 1 way to handle them

Hard to believe the aftermarket still has not come up with a neat solution for this. On my hydroboost (on my '66 Vette), I cut a 3" hole in the back of the reservoir, then made a 1/4" aluminum plate and threaded it to accept two AN bulkhead fittings. I screwed the plate to the back of the reservoir with sealant.

Would have preferred to buy something.......but it looks cool and works fine.
Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:02 PM   #3
LT1 Burb

Re: Hydroboost dual return lines and 1 way to handle them

I welded a second line on my box, but you can also buy a newer power steering pump and change out the reservoir with the single style, 76ish olds had a box with 2 lines.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote