The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2017, 08:04 PM   #1
ptc

55-57 Hood Latch

I broke down and bought a new hood latch... the least of my worries right? but I installed it and the hood doesn't close... So Im gonna ask what seems to be a highly stupid question after all these things have been operating like this for that past 50+ years....

How does it work?

1) see the rounded edge on the right side of the MAIN FINGER? I assume this is the safety catch???? and if I release the latch this moves in. When closing the hood it will go down over this nice smooth ramp.

2) Now see the flat top piece on the left side of the MAIN FINGER? This guy doesnt let the hood go down all the way and latch tight, it stops the hood and theres no way to make it go inwards by the latch - I have to push it inwards with my fingers.... now I know even in '55 thats not the way it was made to operate... right?

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks guys!!!
Old 03-04-2017, 12:33 AM   #2
my56chevytruck

Re: 55-57 Hood Latch

I can check mine out tomorrow and let you know, but what I remember is when the hood comes down, it's suppose to pull the first HOOKED part into the slot in the hood latching and the flat piece is to follow as well. Anyway, as I said, I'll check mine out and get back to you.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:52 PM   #3
my56chevytruck

ptc,
When the hood comes down, the HOOKED piece slides over inline with the main part of the hinge bracket, THEN, when you bring the hood past this is does hit the flat surface (as you say), BUT when you push down on the hood, this flat pushes down into the center of the hinge bracket and your hood goes down completely. Did you understand my mumbo?? Yes it does hit your flat surface, but push the hood down past this and it will clear this. Make sure your main part of the hinge bracket is aligned with the opening in your hood hinge opening for this to work.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2017, 09:05 PM   #4
ptc

So (on your pic) that flat top piece on the right side of the MAIN FINGER is supposes to move to the left when you just push down harder on the hood? if it is aligned right?

Hmmmm. mine seems really tight but Ill give er a go.... maybe my brand new one is just defective>? ---

thanks for the help
Old 03-05-2017, 10:08 AM   #5
my56chevytruck

yes, when you push the hood down onto that flat surface, it'll move into the center piece allowing the hood to go down completely. Look again at your piece, see the slot cut into the lower area of your "flat piece"?? This is to allow it to slide up and down.

Last edited by my56chevytruck; 03-05-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:34 PM   #6
Coupeguy2001

I bought one too, and I had a heck of a time adjusting it.
What I didn't realize, is that the wedge looking thing is actually the lock.
If your hood goes down over it, it pops in to the center, then the edge of it contacts the square bracket on the hood on the top side of the square.
On my 57, the hood latch panel that thing bolts to is slotted. I am guessing that is for 57-59.
You might just slot the holes so you have some adjustment like the later years?
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:31 PM   #7
dsraven

so, in the pic above with the white paint, the upside down "L" shaped part, on the top left of the latch mechanism, is the secondary latch which acts as a safety in case the other latch, lower down on the right, doesn't latch properly or fails. in that case the hood would pop up and the secondary latch would stop it from flapping back to the windshield. correct?
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:42 PM   #8
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
so, in the pic above with the white paint, the upside down "L" shaped part, on the top left of the latch mechanism, is the secondary latch which acts as a safety in case the other latch, lower down on the right, doesn't latch properly or fails. in that case the hood would pop up and the secondary latch would stop it from flapping back to the windshield. correct?
IN short, yes, the hooked piece is the secondary latch so you're not driving with the hood in your face.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:46 AM   #9
ptc

Ive been messing with this thing and it doesnt want to work with me, But I get the idea that it slides inward as you push down on it. I think my '58 hood on the '57 truck is playing some part in this. I need to adjust the hood part down lower so that it pushes on the second lever further. Its always something. !!!!

Last edited by ptc; 12-18-2017 at 11:54 AM.
ptc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:57 PM   #10
ptc

Ok so I figured out the problem:

My 58-59 hood "creation" still has the 58-59 hood latch bracket on it. Its too short for the '57 radiator support that holds the latch.

So I need a 55-57 latch plate bracket and plate (for the hood side) if anybody has a junk hood laying around... I can put it to use. let me know before I begin the journey of finding another one.

I have a 58-59 bracket and latch plate if anybody needs ones, its yours! I wont be using this one.

Thanks guys !
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2017, 03:53 PM   #11
ptc

Heres the difference between a 55-57 and 58-59 hood latch plate bracket.

I must have already let the other one go cause I cant find it anywhere now.
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2017, 05:42 PM   #12
dsraven

with those awesome sheet metal skills you could probably make a new one in your sleep and wake to find it chromed up and sitting on the bedside table with new fasteners, lol.
great work by the pics in your thread.
sorry, no spare parts here.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:49 PM   #13
ptc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
with those awesome sheet metal skills you could probably make a new one in your sleep and wake to find it chromed up and sitting on the bedside table with new fasteners, lol.
great work by the pics in your thread.
sorry, no spare parts here.
so kind... yea Im playing with it now, Im thinking that because I bastardized the whole hood thing, Im going to have to do the same to latch assembly as a whole. NOTHING is going to just bolt on from the factory or from off-the-shelf!

I love my HOBBY!!!!