The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2007, 10:31 PM   #1
avalanche66

buying a 56 chevy truck

well my ex-girlfriend/quasi-girlfriend wants me to help her purchase a 56 chevy truck thats sitting at a classic car dealer lot for her dad for fathers day. i was wondering what sort of questions to ask, what to look for, whats problematic, anything and everything. the father is definately capable of restoring/fabricating just about anything so i know he can handle the truck in any condition, i just dont want the girl to pay too much for too little. im not really sure what it's gunna be worth since i usually get my vehicles for a song and a tear. any tips would be appreciated. i talked to the dealer on the phone and he "claims" it is all original with a 6 cylinder and 3 on the tree, just needs body work. asking $5k. still gotta go see this thing... thanks. -josh
avalanche66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:45 PM   #2
chevyrestoguy

Re: buying a 56 chevy truck

The first thing to do, for sure, is to go look at it. Look it over very closely, and don't fall prey to the salesman's tricks like only showing you the good things about the truck. He's trying to sell the truck, so take what he says with a grain of salt. Be very careful of the "just needs bodywork" statement. Most of the trucks from that era were used as work trucks, and many of them got beat on pretty hard. Look out for rust in the back corners of the cab and in the rocker panel and lower door jamb areas.

Don't be afraid to ask the tough questions, and remember that every asking price is negotiable. Keep an open mind and don't fall madly in love with it in front of the salesman. Good Luck!
________
Vaporizer wholesale

Last edited by chevyrestoguy; 02-18-2011 at 11:10 AM.
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:42 AM   #3
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

quasi-girlfriend + help purchase a 56 chevy truck + her dad = problematic.
$5k/truck = much pain from dad.

if it needs body work its not worth 5K. 2k to 2500 tops

look on ebay to see what they are going for.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:10 AM   #4
55dude

run dude! if she is your "EX" your already a *%$#**& right? have her new old man step up and take care of the buy. tell her to buy a millameter magnet at the body shop supply,they are used to find bondo that is way too thick. if the saleman isnt over 70 years old he probably full of sh*#@T.
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote