The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2018, 10:33 PM   #1326
MARTINSR

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Right on SVR!

I got a little more sand blasting and cleaning on the cab. Whoo hoooo....basically a brick in a mile long sidewalk.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:00 AM   #1327
evilokc

I kept my word to the truck and dedicated some time to it. i removed my compressor from the bracket. i decided to get the alternator buttoned up since it was on the bottom and then i could address the compressor while being able to drive the truck. after two trips to the parts store for different sized belts i decided i needed to get back to the drawing board. my issue was that i followed the directions on the vintage air install and it said to route the belt on the ac compressor a certain way so i did. at that time it didn't occur to me that i could do it a simpler way that wouldn't make me change the belt routing for the alternator. today i put everything on the alternator back as its been for years and this allowed me to take my truck out and have some fun. i took it a few relaxed miles to make sure everything was in order before taking it to the "track" across the street. i ran it through the gears drag style three or four time. every time those tires broke loose my smile did as well. im not usually one to go full throttle. im more of a relaxed cruising guy but boy is that fun. its a little addictive too. in addition i got my garaged cleaned again. that's always a good feeling. i believe i have my compressor licked now. at least in my brain.
Attached Images

evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:13 AM   #1328
MARTINSR

Very cool!

Brian

Old 07-16-2018, 12:28 AM   #1329
Black_Sheep

evilokc that sounds like great fun!
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:31 AM   #1330
MiraclePieCo

Got my grille partially installed. Boy, that made me cuss more than fly fishing with a 9-foot rod on a brushy stream bank. What are there - a hundred bolts?
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2018, 10:16 AM   #1331
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
Got my grille partially installed. Boy, that made me cuss more than fly fishing with a 9-foot rod on a brushy stream bank. What are there - a hundred bolts?
It really was crazy how they designed that. Taking it apart when all rusted is really a joy.

Brian

Old 07-16-2018, 10:49 AM   #1332
Boshears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebte View Post
Given my more recent influence to spend 5 minutes a day on this truck, here is my 5 minutes today.

O, and it cranks. Yea.
Looks good!
Boshears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:45 PM   #1333
mikebte

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
I kept my word to the truck and dedicated some time to it. i removed my compressor from the bracket. i decided to get the alternator buttoned up since it was on the bottom and then i could address the compressor while being able to drive the truck. after two trips to the parts store for different sized belts i decided i needed to get back to the drawing board. my issue was that i followed the directions on the vintage air install and it said to route the belt on the ac compressor a certain way so i did. at that time it didn't occur to me that i could do it a simpler way that wouldn't make me change the belt routing for the alternator. today i put everything on the alternator back as its been for years and this allowed me to take my truck out and have some fun. i took it a few relaxed miles to make sure everything was in order before taking it to the "track" across the street. i ran it through the gears drag style three or four time. every time those tires broke loose my smile did as well. im not usually one to go full throttle. im more of a relaxed cruising guy but boy is that fun. its a little addictive too. in addition i got my garaged cleaned again. that's always a good feeling. i believe i have my compressor licked now. at least in my brain.
This is probably my favorite stage on restoring a truck. It can be driven, looks like a truck again, not painted but the anticipation is building to have it complete. Looks great man.
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:25 PM   #1334
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbeast View Post
Got the upper hangers for the shoulder belts done and installed... Yes I stole someone else's idea!!! Thanks Dan in Pasadena! it was Tig welded!

Jim
Ha, I JUST saw this. I guess I should check this thread more often than two weeks.

You're very welcome. I'm glad someone else was able to use something I posted.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:36 PM   #1335
vintovka

Not a big deal for most but i replaced the newly installed door weatherstripping (from classic) with #9971 SOFFSEAL. Was very unusual that only the peel and stick method is the only method of attachment recommended by SOFFSEAL techs. Felt very uncomfortable not using the black 3m but it seems to be working. Went super fast, no glue mess and best of all the door actually CLOSES easily, correctly and securely ( for first time since late 60's and possibly before).
ITs beer thirty!!!
Attached Images

vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:13 PM   #1336
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
Not a big deal for most but i replaced the newly installed door weatherstripping (from classic) with #9971 SOFFSEAL. Was very unusual that only the peel and stick method is the only method of attachment recommended by SOFFSEAL techs. Felt very uncomfortable not using the black 3m but it seems to be working. Went super fast, no glue mess and best of all the door actually CLOSES easily, correctly and securely ( for first time since late 60's and possibly before).
ITs beer thirty!!!
Wait a minute here, the seal has two sided tape on it?

BRian

Old 07-16-2018, 09:21 PM   #1337
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Wait a minute here, the seal has two sided tape on it?

BRian
Yes. It comes with one side already stuck on the rubber. The other has the peel off tape. I called them and they said clean surfaces well peel and stick. I frankly did not trust it so i cut off a little piece. Cleaned door jamb thoroughly and followed up with a xylene wipe. Stuck it on with thumb pressure and it stuck --hard. Had to pull it off with pliers and even then the adhesive part stayed behind and had to be cleaned off. Made a door on weatherstrip go really fast. Think the tape is chemically bonded on. Maybe bad news for 3m?
Old 07-16-2018, 10:06 PM   #1338
Black_Sheep

Day 2 of doing nothing with my truck. The painter says 3 weeks so that gives me time to do a garage makeover. Pretty much everything is in a storage container in the driveway. Over the weekend I painted up my 30 year old MATCO toolbox to match the satin black cabinets I ordered. I used carbon fiber vinyl wrap on the drawer fronts to dress it up a little.

Today I cleaned the empty garage from top to bottom, next step is to mud and tape the sheetrock...
Attached Images

Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:10 PM   #1339
rollenhard

Great idea on the carbon fiber Black_Sheep
Old 07-16-2018, 10:14 PM   #1340
mikebte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
I used carbon fiber vinyl wrap on the drawer fronts to dress it up a little.

Today I cleaned the empty garage from top to bottom, next step is to mud and tape the sheetrock...
Good to see your doing something good with your time. That looks good on the box.

My 5 minutes. Installed my AC controls and looked at it. Not sure I like it, but worth my time this evening.
Attached Images

Last edited by mikebte; 07-17-2018 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Wrong photo
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:26 PM   #1341
1project2many

I installed another balancer, an Ebay find, and re-installed the radiatior and alternator. I started the truck for the first time in two years! Then realized the brake system had lost most of the fluid while it was paked. Oh, well.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:14 PM   #1342
MARTINSR

Cool stuff guys. I got out for my five minutes cutting out, sand blasting and weld thru primered the rust spot I found sand blasting yesterday on the right windshield. I also made the template to replace it with metal.

Got my last bushing installed in my lower control arms for the Rambler, sand blasted them and got them painted.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2018, 11:16 PM   #1343
GreasyLikeaBurger

Quote:
Yes. It comes with one side already stuck on the rubber. The other has the peel off tape. I called them and they said clean surfaces well peel and stick. I frankly did not trust it so i cut off a little piece. Cleaned door jamb thoroughly and followed up with a xylene wipe. Stuck it on with thumb pressure and it stuck --hard. Had to pull it off with pliers and even then the adhesive part stayed behind and had to be cleaned off. Made a door on weatherstrip go really fast. Think the tape is chemically bonded on. Maybe bad news for 3m?
Seals with adhesive backs are the standard now onnew cars. I have been a tech for German manufacturers for the last 20 years, and almost all of the new cars have them. Its probably due to the ease of assembly on the line. Also alot of the tape is still 3M, so I dont think they are losing out.
GreasyLikeaBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:34 PM   #1344
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyLikeaBurger View Post
Seals with adhesive backs are the standard now on new cars. I have been a tech for German manufacturers for the last 20 years, and almost all of the new cars have them. Its probably due to the ease of assembly on the line. Also alot of the tape is still 3M, so I dont think they are losing out.
Whoever makes the tape is great. The bag it came from said it was a GM approved product. Have been dreading doing this job for weeks but it took longer to prep than applying the seal. May add it was difficult to find as almost everyone is sold out. Soffseal said the company is in some sort of turmoil and the tech reps have left so it may be hard to get from now on.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:36 PM   #1345
evilokc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebte View Post
This is probably my favorite stage on restoring a truck. It can be driven, looks like a truck again, not painted but the anticipation is building to have it complete. Looks great man.
thanks man im really enjoying it.
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:21 PM   #1346
idbeast

Quote:
ITs beer thirty!!!
Is that classic industries? I called and they don't have them.
Jim
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:53 PM   #1347
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbeast View Post
Is that classic industries? I called and they don't have them.
Jim
The first recently installed repop set were co-part from Classic. Waste of $$. Classic does not carry them. Mine came from Jegs. Called Summit and about 10 others and no dice. Jegs said it was only available as a long back order as maker was waiting on materials. I *****ed and VOILA! they showed up a week later. Even Amazon said they were out. As stated earlier Company rep said they were having problems. Not sure of any other sources. Check to see if they really have them before you order.

I must say given the ease of install and that they doors actually close i'm done with the glue on ones. If this old arthritic man can install them with the door on they are worth it. No i don't have stock in them but after this i wish I did!
Old 07-17-2018, 01:21 PM   #1348
MARTINSR

Quote:
That is awesome! I work on late model cars and there is a LOT of stuff held on with two sided tape these days and it it works very well!

Brian

Old 07-17-2018, 02:54 PM   #1349
rollenhard

Just about done with the interior
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2018, 03:31 PM   #1350
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
That is awesome! I work on late model cars and there is a LOT of stuff held on with two sided tape these days and it it works very well!

Brian
Stuff is really on there. The difficulty, mess and time consuming old way is a PITA i won't repeat. The seals are great and have to train myself NOT to slam doors anymore (hard to do after slamming them for 50+years) . I did have to adjust the hinges and lock jam a little to accommodate new seals but even that was easy. Didn't even cuss.