The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2018, 04:11 PM   #26
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Stupid Question about placing engine mounts

Hi guys. Sorry I didn’t see this thread til now. I was surprised to see a pic of my chassis and garage!

Funny I saw it today because I was JUST fiddling with the trans cover last night. We had to switch to the factory four speed trans cover instead of my stock three speed cover to allow for the larger size of the 4l85e.

When we installed the adhesive heat barrier on the floor over a year ago we didn’t fill the (approx.) 4”x4” shifter hole - DOH! So yesterday I cut and carefully removed about a 1/2” of the barrier around the hole perimeter and instead of welding in a cover I will use panel adhesive to patch it, cover it with the same barrier on top and some rattle can bed protector on the bottom.

PS: Anyone know if the trans cover was fastened to the cab floor with threaded speed clips or just sheet metal screws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshilling View Post
I'm thinking that with the TBSS manifolds, I should do just fine heading straight down the center.

I got the engine roughly in place, and suspended from the hoist, the trans is touching the cab, the oil pan is barely above the steering rack, and the engine angle is definitely more than 3 degrees.

I'm honestly a bit perplexed, as I've seen trucks here with LS/Flatout and it doesn't look like there was any firewall modification.

In Dan's chassis below, the engine is as far forward as physics allow, as the passenger valve cover has about 50 cents worth of space until it touches the cab.

Dan, I noticed you have the trans access panel off in your can in all of your pictures.. does it fit and you just havent installed, or did you need to remove it? (hope he sees this)

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 11-27-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:47 AM   #27
dsraven

some driveline info to peruse through

https://www.ccsdesigns.com/_builder/...in%20Setup.pdf
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:26 PM   #28
b-mac

Read in its entirety. Thanks.
b-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:39 PM   #29
dsraven

hope it helped you figure out what you will do.
post up a few pics when you get things started.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:58 PM   #30
MiraclePieCo

I noticed several posts regarding engine-trans inclination front to rear. One trick I have discovered is that it's better to have your engine too far down in the rear because you can always add a spacer under your trans mount to shim it up higher. If it's too high to begin with, there's no way to lower it.