The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2014, 04:17 PM   #726
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Re: The Hillbilly Deluxe dually build

I can't believe I'm reading you guys talking about eating an elephant because that's the way I've started thinking of it in the last month or so. I haven't tried Rock Auto but I'm convinced now.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #727
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUISER View Post
I can't believe I'm reading you guys talking about eating an elephant because that's the way I've started thinking of it in the last month or so. I haven't tried Rock Auto but I'm convinced now.
Rockauto 5% discount code....

Its good for 90 days, unlimited usage. Give it to anyone and everyone. Use it as many times as you want. There's no limits on how much it's used and by whom.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #728
Tx Firefighter

UPS delivered like expected. One day shipping for 4 bucks. This is why Amazon is on their way up and local retailers are on the skids.

Made in USA quality.

All installed.

I torqued and cotter pinned all hardware on the front suspension. Then a full grease job. There are 20 zerks on this front suspension. It took a full tube of grease to do them all.

Then I bled the front brakes and called it a day.

Tomorrow I'll get Valerie out there to help me set the toe-in and the front will be entirely complete. Then to start on the clutch, bell housing, transmission and rearend. It won't be long now.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:30 PM   #729
Katrina/10

I don't see how they can deliver anything for 4 bucks, it costs me 8 every time I go to the post office.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:51 PM   #730
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina/10 View Post
I don't see how they can deliver anything for 4 bucks, it costs me 8 every time I go to the post office.
My wife is an Amazon Prime member which gets free two day shipping on all her orders. Its a thing she pays like 80 bucks per year to belong to. As much as we order from them, it's a fantastic deal for us. Average one order a week and the 80 dollars per year for free shipping is a bargain. In this case, I wanted to get the front end part of the project tied up soon and there's a bad cold spell coming Sunday, so she paid an additional 4 dollars for next day shipping instead of two day shipping. That way I wasn't laying under the truck on Monday in 20 degree temperatures to install it.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:01 PM   #731
Sodell

The prime definitely pays off if you use it a lot. My wife bought me an action camera for Christmas and it was broke. After dealing with the manufacturer. they told me to send it to them, at my expense (it was brand new). I was kinda miffed, so my wife said she would send it back to Amazon. I was amazed that they paid for the shipping! The wife printed off a UPS bare code and I dropped it off yesterday in about 20 seconds. I also went with a different camera company. Can't say enough good things about Amazon....

87 Chevy 2WD SWB, 88 4x4 LWB
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610652
Sodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:05 AM   #732
Katrina/10

Well, that sounds worth having. I don't order too much from Amazon, maybe I should take another look at it.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:37 AM   #733
rusty76

My wife orders from Amazon a lot and she's a prime member. It works out good. I personally haven't ordered any thing from them yet. But they seem to have good service and quality customer service.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #734
83GMCK2500

I have an Amazon prime membership as well, bought a complete ACDelco clutch kit for my 400/sm465 from them, the HD one that is one step below the ceramic disc kit. It was about $106 and shipped to me in 2 days, Rock Auto couldn't even come close.

1983 GMC High Sierra 2500, 4x4, RC/LB, 400 S.B., SM-465, NP-208, Corporate 10 bolt & 9.5" 14 bolt
1996 GMC Sierra SLE 3500 DRW, 4x4, EC/LB, Vortec 454, NV-4500, BW-4401, AAM 925 & AAM 1050
1997 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 4x4, Z71/F44, EC/SB, Vortec 350

My Introduction with my '83s History
New Daily, the '96
83GMCK2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:54 PM   #735
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83GMCK2500 View Post
I have an Amazon prime membership as well, bought a complete ACDelco clutch kit for my 400/sm465 from them, the HD one that is one step below the ceramic disc kit. It was about $106 and shipped to me in 2 days, Rock Auto couldn't even come close.
Now that's a good post. I can foresee myself buying a clutch kit for this truck in the near future.

Today I turned the truck around and began swapping the rear ends.

First, this truck has a load sensing valve that modulates the rear brake pressure. It uses a lever and sensor that detects how high or low the rearend is in relation to normal ride height. That, then guesses at how much load is on the truck. If it's sitting lower than usual, it applies the rear brakes stronger than normal unloaded height. Since I lowered the truck, this stuff is all out the window. I've seen poor reliability on these anyway, so I'm going to remove it in its entirety and run normal unrestricted rear brakes. More to come later in the project.

Valve mounted on the frame. Brake line in and brake line out. The swing lever controls its operation.

The lower end of the lever is mounted to the top of the rearend.

A few nuts and bolts later, we have this. I sprung for a pair of Harbor Freight mover dollies to help me move this heavy thing around.

I'm also going to remove that upper overload spring and little spacer block. It won't affect the ride height any, but the truck being lowered, that leaf is too close to hitting the overload brackets on the frame.

When I get off work Monday morning I'll drop by the spring shop and have a couple of pairs of new, shorter, u bolts made up. I need shorter u bolts to compensate for removal of the overload and spacer blocks.

I'll also get a shorter pair of spring pack center bolts. When I disassemble the pack to remove the overload and spacer, I'll need shorter center bolts.

And, for the folks who haven't followed this thread every page, a reminder of what I'm putting back in.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:02 PM   #736
SCOTI

I chuckle every time I see the wheelchair. . .....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:37 PM   #737
ryanroo

That is a classy looking rear end!

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:01 PM   #738
Sodell

Another great Moog product, the difference is in the photo.

[IMG][/IMG]

87 Chevy 2WD SWB, 88 4x4 LWB
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610652
Sodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:09 PM   #739
Tx Firefighter

Why am I a Moog fan boy ? Because they're the best. Look closely at my two pictures below. This is an idler arm off my 89 NBS truck. Notice the massive difference in size between the stock one and the Moog one.

Look closely at the pivot point. The Moog is nearly twice as substantial in that area. More surface area means stronger and longer lasting. And the grease zerk is relocated to a more convenient spot too.

There is no comparison.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:08 PM   #740
83GMCK2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Why am I a Moog fan boy ? Because they're the best. Look closely at my two pictures below. This is an idler arm off my 89 NBS truck. Notice the massive difference in size between the stock one and the Moog one.
This is the second reference (unless I missed one) to you tinkering on the 4x4. Will you be putting together a build thread for it too?

1983 GMC High Sierra 2500, 4x4, RC/LB, 400 S.B., SM-465, NP-208, Corporate 10 bolt & 9.5" 14 bolt
1996 GMC Sierra SLE 3500 DRW, 4x4, EC/LB, Vortec 454, NV-4500, BW-4401, AAM 925 & AAM 1050

New Daily, the '96
Old 01-05-2014, 02:09 PM   #741
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
This is the second reference (unless I missed one) to you tinkering on the 4x4. Will you be putting together a build thread for it too?
The idler arm deal above is off of my old 2wd 89 model truck, but I will probably do a build thread on the 4x4 too. Right now I'm just walking around it periodically to begin to take stock of where I stand and what I'll need to do. That way I have it in my head if I stumble across a deal on some parts that I might need for the truck.

But, first I will finish this truck. I can't do good work and stay focused on two trucks at the same time. I've been thinking about whether I want to pull the transmission and go through it and the clutch or just run it for now and maybe do an NV4500 swap in the future. Even with the 4.10 gear I'm installing, an OD would be welcomed. I'm still mulling it over.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:31 PM   #742
83GMCK2500

Quote:
The idler arm deal above is off of my old 2wd 89 model truck, but I will probably do a build thread on the 4x4 too. Right now I'm just walking around it periodically to begin to take stock of where I stand and what I'll need to do. That way I have it in my head if I stumble across a deal on some parts that I might need for the truck.

But, first I will finish this truck. I can't do good work and stay focused on two trucks at the same time. I've been thinking about whether I want to pull the transmission and go through it and the clutch or just run it for now and maybe do an NV4500 swap in the future. Even with the 4.10 gear I'm installing, an OD would be welcomed. I'm still mulling it over.
I am tracking. My '83 has been in the family since new and between this forum, a couple others, and my friends I have a good idea on the direction I want to head with it, has helped me in keeping my eyes open for parts/deals as well.

Hah, I should have caught that when you said '89, I knew the 4x4 is newer.

A 4500 swap is a beautiful thing, I have one in the works myself. After a lot of research I chose an early one with external clutch slave cylinder. The later design with the fully synchronized 1st & Reverse was appealing, but I am not sold on the internal slave/throwout bearing assemblys used in them.

How have you decided to address the routing of the parking brake cables on Hillbilly Deluxe? Did you have or will you be keeping the factory rear swaybar? I ask because with the purchase of new ubolts, this is an ideal time to ditch that saddle-under-axle tube style plate that GM used. I am not a fan of how they collect dirt/debris and accelerate the deterioration of the bolts, but I recognize they are necessary with the factory style swaybar mount. With the disassembly of the rear springs will you be coating and installing new pads between them?

New Daily, the '96
Old 01-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #743
ryanroo

So, i dont mean to intrude on the tech here with silly questions, but i decided to give rock auto a shot. i want to order a serpentine belt, with no specific application. just a length and rib count. i cant make the damn website do anything for me. i also need to order a few wheel cylinders and cannot find a place that it actually list the country of manufacture or origin anywhere. am i just stupid, or is there some things that rock auto wont do for you?

Old 01-05-2014, 04:25 PM   #744
ryanroo

ok, i think i figured it out. significant savings. i really hate to abandon my local businesses but jeez. all the good counter guys get hired elsewhere because they dont make enough money and i end up trying to tell the tards that are left how to look up parts. gets old.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #745
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
I am tracking. My '83 has been in the family since new and between this forum, a couple others, and my friends I have a good idea on the direction I want to head with it, has helped me in keeping my eyes open for parts/deals as well.

Hah, I should have caught that when you said '89, I knew the 4x4 is newer.

A 4500 swap is a beautiful thing, I have one in the works myself. After a lot of research I chose an early one with external clutch slave cylinder. The later design with the fully synchronized 1st & Reverse was appealing, but I am not sold on the internal slave/throwout bearing assemblys used in them.

How have you decided to address the routing of the parking brake cables on Hillbilly Deluxe? Did you have or will you be keeping the factory rear swaybar? I ask because with the purchase of new ubolts, this is an ideal time to ditch that saddle-under-axle tube style plate that GM used. I am not a fan of how they collect dirt/debris and accelerate the deterioration of the bolts, but I recognize they are necessary with the factory style swaybar mount. With the disassembly of the rear springs will you be coating and installing new pads between them?
My truck doesn't have a rear sway bar. Judging by the options listed on the SPID, I don't see where it ever did. I haven't posted pictures yet, but I just sandblasted and painted the stock spring plates. I'm not sure what depth I'll go into with the leaf springs. I am kind of thinking about a quick exterior wire brushing, some Rustoleum semi gloss and go with it. I could spend 100 dollars on new bushings and liner material just or rebuild a pair of leaf springs that are so stiff I won't ever be getting much spring action out of anyway. This thing rides like it has a solid rear suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
ok, i think i figured it out. significant savings. i really hate to abandon my local businesses but jeez. all the good counter guys get hired elsewhere because they dont make enough money and i end up trying to tell the tards that are left how to look up parts. gets old.
Be sure and use the discount code I posted above. It's only 5%, but money is money.

Currently, I'm at the fire station counting the minutes till I get off in the morning and I'll go by the spring shop to get my u bolts made.

I've been searching Craigslist looking for a stock 85-87 four headlight grille for this truck. I figured I'd try to find someone who wants a billet and trade them for their stocker. I think the dually will look better with a stock grille with white center bar. I had the same combo on my 83 about 20 years ago and I sure liked it.

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 01-05-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #746
Low Elco

Progress is lookin' good! Can't wait to see how it comes out!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:51 PM   #747
Tx Firefighter

Since 1928 in the same location. I love this place. They make your u bolts while you stand there. Old school.

It's too cold to work outside now so not much progress today.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:13 PM   #748
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Yeah, its cold here too. My office has frozen water pipes today....

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #749
willy41

Quote:
Cell phone pics of the other side. Sorry for the scrap metal clutter around the shop clogging up the pictures.

I'm new here, but your threads are my guidebook on how I want to treat my truck.

Your wheels are a work of art and I know you did a lot of hand work getting them that way. I saw in an earlier post someone had a machine that would do a lot of work on wheels. With that in mind, please tell me why I would be totally crazy to try something like this:

Put the rear axle on jack stands and run the truck in gear, using the rear axle like a lathe. Use manual or machine tools to apply the restoration steps: sanding, polishing, buffing, and maybe even coating.

I have even further to go than you did, so I'm looking to minimize the elbow grease. Thanks in advance for your help and all your posts.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:03 PM   #750
flashed

Doing what you are suggesting would be very dangerous ,might lose a limb or your life .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote