The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2016, 08:46 AM   #1
59pache

Order of redoing suspension/frame

Just a general question on when I redo the suspension on my 59' if I should remove all the suspension before cleaning/por15 the frame and then re-install new suspension, or should I install the new suspension first, then clean/por15 the frame? My concern is not being able to get certain components of the suspension installed onto the frame after it has been cleaned/por15.

Thanks!
59pache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:29 PM   #2
DA68

Re: Order of redoing suspension/frame

I've done several frame builds and always paint the frame and components when it is apart. For the reason you stated, there are areas you just cant reach when the suspension is on the frame, plus the overall results are just that much better.
I just picked up a 59 GMC, BBW, short fleet and am curious to know if you are doing a stock build or custom for the suspension? I think I'm going the route of a 73-87 frame and suspension.
DA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:44 AM   #3
andrewmp6

If your buying new stuff i would test fit it before painting,If its stuff you had but rebuilding i would paint it all apart.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:37 AM   #4
59pache

DA68: I am going to rebuild it somewhere in between. The leaf springs will be new, Posies, but they lower the truck 3". Im going to keep the suspension setup stock mainly because it looks to be in such good condition. Also it will keep the feel/ride of the era truck. Not to mention that it is much more affordable for me to keep the stock setup.

andrewmp6: That isnt a bad idea at all. My main concern is anywhere the POR-15 can settle too thick that a bolt or pin can't fit through.
59pache is offline   Reply With Quote