The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2017, 08:39 PM   #1
rrenner

Looking for some advice

Here's the sad story. Bought a 58 stepside on ebay about 4 years ago. No drive line, mostly rust. Picked it up in South Carolina (I live in Georgia). I got a title and a bill of sale. Been bringing it back to life, fixing rust, put in sbc. Doing stuff as I could afford it. Knew I had to transfer title but put it off and time sorta slips by... Now I'm finding out the truck was a "salvage parts only" Georgia tag folks are telling me I can't register this vehicle. My question to you guys is if I have any options? I know my brother once had a t-bucket titled as a 21 ford model T. He bought it from a guy that had built it from scratch (kit), not a model T part to be found. Anybody know of a way to get a vin for one of these old trucks? How much of the vehicle has to be newer parts to be considered a one off or custom.. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:36 PM   #2
my56chevytruck

Re: Looking for some advice

5 years ago I bought a truck from Georgia and the supposed owner only had a registration, I found out in Georgia they don't have titles as we have in Indiana. Here in Indiana the BMV was be-fuddled, so the search was on. We ended up calling the state police in Georgia to pursue our issues, they were, the seller wasn't the owner, he was a friend of the owner, phew, this was difficult. Getting back to the issue, the state police in Georgia tracked down the owner, he sent a letter to our state BMV office saying he was the owner, our state police got involved having to do a title search to ensure the truck wasn't stolen and when all that was completed, our BMV made a title for my truck. That's all!!!
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:05 PM   #3
rrenner

Another thought, is a truck that is put on and S10 frame registered as an S10? If I had a S10 with a valid title and vin would that solve my title problems?
Old 04-14-2017, 09:28 PM   #4
56hotrodred

I hope not!!!

I am putting a 56 body on a 1980 frame and planning on registering as 56!

Not even sure if I am going to tell them I changed the frame. If they ask I would not lie but what is the chance they are going to ask.

I do need to run a vehicle information report on the 56 to make sure it is clear of liens and see if it is still listed as active in the Alberta register system. I bought it back from a friend after 35 years so am expecting all is good still with it!

It has not been on the road for over 10 years probably closer to 20 but I just ran a check on a 74 k10 I am selling and it is still listed as active after 20 years of not driving.

Last edited by 56hotrodred; 04-14-2017 at 09:36 PM.
56hotrodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:56 PM   #5
drivea55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrenner View Post
Another thought, is a truck that is put on and S10 frame registered as an S10? If I had a S10 with a valid title and vin would that solve my title problems?
depends on your state, the state I am in MA, It is the cab that is titled.

Why wouldn't you just purchase a another title and vin tag combo and go that route?

SOLD to "ONEBADFIVEFIVE"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=436406
drivea55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:57 PM   #6
mr48chev

EVERY state is different on that and there is little continuity as to how they work the title thing.

I've found one thing when dealing with state dmv's you almost always are better off going to the top of the food

This I did find, Looks like a guy working in his home garage is screwed in Georgia when he has a salvage title vehicle..
https://dor.georgia.gov/titles-rebui...tored-vehicles

Actually it might be easier with the S-10 chassis and title and the salvage title for the body according to what I found here https://dor.georgia.gov/assembled-an...ional-vehicles

While they can give you a ration about a salvage title from another state using a legally bought (you have the title) body on your legally owned (titled) S-10 chassis passes the muster for an assembled vehicle for what I read. AS long as you have the paperwork for other major components that prove you legally purchased them or came by them legally.

I'd be asking first though before spending any money or time on the rig. If you buy a donor rig for the engine or engine and trans and haul the hulk to the scrapper you photo copy the title of the rig and staple the paperwork from the scrapper to it to show you sold the hulk and gave them the title in the process. A good paper trail makes life a lot easier. If you have to hide what you spend on your truck from your significant other you can't afford to work on a truck and that comes from a guy who has been married for 47 years.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote