The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2017, 11:08 PM   #1
jmlloar

57 GMC how rare??

Just picked up a complete but very rough 57 GMC 3/4 ton deluxe cab with loads of chrome 347 V8 4spd manual, has the large jet on top of the hood.

Seen lots of pics of 1/2 tons and some deluxe cabs, but none with all the bells and whistles on a 3/4 ton

Also, has a flat bed (factory that way or not?) but other than that it is 100% all original numbers matching truck. Been siting in the woods (was a yard when parked there) for at least 40 years.

Was just curious to how rare of a truck in this configuration it is???
jmlloar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:15 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: 57 GMC how rare??

not rare enough to make it worth more than any other GMC, If it were a Palamino ( Cameo) then its worth a lot
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:20 PM   #3
jmlloar

Not what I asked, not worried about value
Just wanted to know about options

I know the factory hood emblem is VERY rare
Old 01-28-2017, 03:11 AM   #4
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Hood plane in very good condition is some what rare but not so rare you can't buy 2 or 3 on ebay. Pitted they are a paper weight, Deluxe cab is a standard no trim cab, Custom cab trim is the chromed dash knobs cab trim etc, is not rare on any version of GMC with exception of the mustache on the grille, they are hard to find. If your asking if they are production rare, no I see hood planes on ebay now for $38 on a 57. 58-59 is extremely rare at $1200 or so.

I know its not what you want to hear but its an every day 57 GMC with some bling.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:29 AM   #5
1project2many

Quote:
Seen lots of pics of 1/2 tons and some deluxe cabs, but none with all the bells and whistles on a 3/4 ton
What are you considering all the bells and whistles? Do you have any pictures of the truck?

I once had a 3/4 ton '57 Suburban (GMC's Cameo), very rusty, that I bought for parts. The bed was taken long before I got the truck as someone offered the PO "Big Money" for it. Factory options that I remember included Hydramatic, V8, Clock, Radio, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Two-Tone Green Interior, Arm Rests, Cigarette Lighter, Electric Wipers, Custom Cab, BBW, Chrome Grille and Bumper, and Green Tinted Glass.

The GMC version of power steering was different from the Chevrolet version. It used a separate pump, not a generator mounted pump, and the power steering was all contained in the steering box rather than using a separate control valve and assist piston. The pump and the box had a large, distinct S like the S used with Saginaw parts, but the name on both components was Safety. I have only seen this pump and box on one other vehicle since. Power braking was provided with a Hydravac system. Hydravac is not ultra-rare but I haven't seen many small TF trucks equipped with it. I have seen clocks, armrests, and Hydramatic. I have seen V8 equipped trucks. I have seen two tone interiors but not the green that was in the GMC. Deluxe cab and BBW is not uncommon but I don't remember seeing another tinted glass TF pickup.

If your truck is loaded like the one I had, I think the combination of parts is somewhat uncommon.

Last edited by 1project2many; 01-28-2017 at 07:54 AM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:22 AM   #6
jmlloar

It has the BBW and glass is tinted. outside is red and interior is 2 tone red. Everything that could be chrome is. truck is not delivered yet so not sure n the power steering, brake setup. not sure if it had a bed or was cab only model. have to wait for it to get here for rest of the little details and pics. Didn't think I had a super rare truck, I just prefer the GMC over chevy and never seen one this loaded with fancy stuff. Don't know how it was in other areas but old trucks from this area just didn't get ordered with all the extra stuff.

So I guess mine is custom cab?

thanks
Old 01-28-2017, 09:38 AM   #7
1project2many

It would be an interesting situation that results in a cab only truck with that many options. If they are truly factory installed I think it would be more likely that it was a Cameo and a previous owner removed and sold the bed.

Most folks didn't order trucks with lots of goodies in any part of the country. Chrome, electric wipers, and an occasional radio are most common imo. You might want to do some work to try documenting yours.

I believe Deluxe Cab is the name for the stainless trim and chrome knobs option in 55-57. Maybe it's called Custom Cab in 58-59? The large window is called Panaromic. Every piece of OEM tinted glass on the truck will be marked with the name E-Z Eye. The names for some of the options may be different in GMC land. I've heard the large window is a Full View on a Jimmy.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:57 AM   #8
jmlloar

Will do a VIN breakdown when I get it here

Been trying to do some research but VERY hard to find info on older GMC stuff

Doubt it was a cameo (palomino) although it most likely had bed pulled because of rust or damage. I would lean more towards it being cab only or stepside

"You might want to do some work to try documenting yours."
Where do I start??

ANY info is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:58 AM   #9
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
What are you considering all the bells and whistles? Do you have any pictures of the truck?

I once had a 3/4 ton '57 Suburban (GMC's Cameo), very rusty, that I bought for parts. The bed was taken long before I got the truck as someone offered the PO "Big Money" for it. Factory options that I remember included Hydramatic, V8, Clock, Radio, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Two-Tone Green Interior, Arm Rests, Cigarette Lighter, Electric Wipers, Custom Cab, BBW, Chrome Grille and Bumper, and Green Tinted Glass.

The GMC version of power steering was different from the Chevrolet version. It used a separate pump, not a generator mounted pump, and the power steering was all contained in the steering box rather than using a separate control valve and assist piston. The pump and the box had a large, distinct S like the S used with Saginaw parts, but the name on both components was Safety. I have only seen this pump and box on one other vehicle since. Power braking was provided with a Hydravac system. Hydravac is not ultra-rare but I haven't seen many small TF trucks equipped with it. I have seen clocks, armrests, and Hydramatic. I have seen V8 equipped trucks. I have seen two tone interiors but not the green that was in the GMC. Deluxe cab and BBW is not uncommon but I don't remember seeing another tinted glass TF pickup.

If your truck is loaded like the one I had, I think the combination of parts is somewhat uncommon.
this would be a rare truck with ALL of those options
Old 01-28-2017, 01:09 PM   #10
mr48chev

Around this area it was the GMC trucks that seemed to get loaded with all the options rather than the Chevy trucks. I had a 57 3/4 ton with the deluxe cab and big back window ten years ago but the truck was too rusted out for me to fight with as much as I like big window 55/59 trucks. That one had belonged to my mom's companion for years and had a 283 and powerglide in it and a top speed of about 50.

Rare only counts if you are restoring one to showroom stock though. the minute you start modifiying it you just took the rare out of it.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:05 PM   #11
1project2many

Quote:
"You might want to do some work to try documenting yours."
Where do I start??
At the very least, start working from the last known registration. With some patience and phone time to state DMV offices you may be able to get back to the original registration. If you can determine the original sale price or list price it will help show the truck was built with more options (vs. being added by previous owners). If the model number is on an old reg or two reg you will have more info about whether the truck was a regular pickup or had the fiberglass bed. (BTW, The GMC Cameo was called a Suburban. The Palomino was a one of a kind, GMC built custom Suburban.)

I also wanted to add that the power brakes on that old GMC were a Bendix vacuum system rather than a Hyrdovac. It was also equipped with driver and passenger side key locks although I don't know if it was an option or standard. I managed to save the handles and locks out of all the goodies I removed back then and they are now are now in my '57 Chevy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
this would be a rare truck with ALL of those options
I think about that from time to time. There was no way I could have saved it at 18 yrs old and moving out to begin life as an adult. But I wish I'd been able to find someone that wanted it. I was a dissapointed young man the day I watched the wrecker take it out to be crushed.

Last edited by 1project2many; 01-28-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:29 PM   #12
FirstNation

Quote:
Deluxe cab is a standard no trim cab, Custom cab trim is the chromed dash knobs cab trim etc,
Just an fyi, in 1957 you could buy a Standard cab that came without the chrome trim or a Deluxe cab with it. In addition, a Deluxe cab could be had with either a small rear window or a wrap around. The word Custom didn't come into use with GMC until several years later.
Also, GMC's equivalent to the Cameo was the Suburban Carrier. The Palomino was a one off concept truck in 1957.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:32 PM   #13
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Now that I think about it your correct , My Chevy data books use custom one year and deluxe the next from 55-59. 60 is badged that way on the fender
Old 05-12-2019, 11:14 AM   #14
jmlloar

Just thought I would update.

Truck is a 55.2 150 long bed 270 6cyl 4sp all chrome that could be ordered, deluxe heater man brakes and steering, was big window (replacement cab I found is not).

Going with ls1 swap, chevy bell(already have) factory sm420 4sp, power steering and brakes swap, a/c, newer 14 bolt rear, front disks on factory solid axle,

I guess you could call it "resto rod"
I want a functional daily driver with classic body, that is reliable but can still pull a camper or boat and then still go to the car show.

Not worth a complete restoration since engine is shot and all sheet metal was trash. Figured if i am doing a ground up might as well make it my way.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:38 AM   #15
jmlloar

pic on day got it home
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2019, 11:41 AM   #16
jmlloar

Quote:
Hood plane in very good condition is some what rare but not so rare you can't buy 2 or 3 on ebay. Pitted they are a paper weight, Deluxe cab is a standard no trim cab, Custom cab trim is the chromed dash knobs cab trim etc, is not rare on any version of GMC with exception of the mustache on the grille, they are hard to find. If your asking if they are production rare, no I see hood planes on ebay now for $38 on a 57. 58-59 is extremely rare at $1200 or so.

I know its not what you want to hear but its an every day 57 GMC with some bling.
BTW MY "PITTED" Hood Bird brought over a grand.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:54 AM   #17
mr48chev

That would mean that someone was pretty desperate for one. Prices seem to have jumped certain pieces due to the instant gratification crowd being willing to pay rather than wait until they find a deal.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:20 PM   #18
jmlloar

came from a bidding war

just goes to show its hard to figure prices on older stuff.

that money will go a ways toward parts I need.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:49 PM   #19
Phungki

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlloar View Post
pic on day got it home
I thought the 57 had 2 ridges that ran the length of the hood. Or is that just on the 1/2 ton?
Looks like you have your work cut out for you with that one 😀.
Good luck finding the front chrome. I’ve been looking for a 56 and not thrilled with what I’m finding or the price of it either.
Phungki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:25 PM   #20
jmlloar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phungki View Post
I thought the 57 had 2 ridges that ran the length of the hood. Or is that just on the 1/2 ton?
Looks like you have your work cut out for you with that one 😀.
Good luck finding the front chrome. I’ve been looking for a 56 and not thrilled with what I’m finding or the price of it either.
Came to find out it was actually a 55 and not a 57.
already looking better with a much nicer cab purchased
Old 05-19-2019, 11:20 AM   #21
dsraven

check bills truck stop for front grille stuff. they had a chrome one awhile back, like weeks.
yes, 57 had the ribs in the hood, at least mine does.
front fenders are a little different as well, flat spots to mount the wrap around mustache grille surround extensions. could be easily cut/fabbed into a set of chevy fenders if thats whats available though. dash is also different style of hump and gauge package.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:36 AM   #22
jmlloar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
check bills truck stop for front grille stuff. they had a chrome one awhile back, like weeks.
yes, 57 had the ribs in the hood, at least mine does.
front fenders are a little different as well, flat spots to mount the wrap around mustache grille surround extensions. could be easily cut/fabbed into a set of chevy fenders if thats whats available though. dash is also different style of hump and gauge package.
first question, "bills truck stop"?

second question, my fenders look the same as chevy to me, am I missing something?
Old 05-19-2019, 11:47 AM   #23
dsraven

google it, bills truck shop scroll down for pics of the grille, bottom of the page. Canadian stuff so USD covers more. yeah, gotta ship but you pay shipping from anywhere for most stuff anyway.

http://www.billstruckshop.com/55-59used.html
Old 05-19-2019, 11:52 AM   #24
dsraven

fenders look the same until you look around the opening for the grille. look for small flat spot in the bump for the grille surround, where the mustache would wrap around and bolt on there. the stache covers the hole in the fender where the chevy turn signal goes so about the same height as that. chevy fenders don't have the flat spot because their grille is totally inside the opening. chevy fenders bolt up the same and lots of guys swapped the front end sheet metal because they liked the smoother look of the chevy plus parts were easier to come by. if you have a true gmc but not the flat spots on the fenders then this could be the case, especially if your stache doesn't fit well on the lower parts that house the turn signals.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:38 PM   #25
Phungki

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
fenders look the same until you look around the opening for the grille. look for small flat spot in the bump for the grille surround, where the mustache would wrap around and bolt on there. the stache covers the hole in the fender where the chevy turn signal goes so about the same height as that. chevy fenders don't have the flat spot because their grille is totally inside the opening. chevy fenders bolt up the same and lots of guys swapped the front end sheet metal because they liked the smoother look of the chevy plus parts were easier to come by. if you have a true gmc but not the flat spots on the fenders then this could be the case, especially if your stache doesn't fit well on the lower parts that house the turn signals.
Yes that’s what someone did to my GMC. Whole front end got switched to Chevy. Kinda sucks really. Had me looking for all the parts that aren’t repopped and only made from 55-56. Worse if you have 57. Told the mustache is slightly different on a 57. Can’t verify that myself tho
Phungki is offline   Reply With Quote