The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2009, 06:23 AM   #1
72farmer

Is Nason a good clear coat?

I need to buy enough black paint to do my cab since my bed is done.I found a kit for$350 that has a gal of Jet Black Dupont Chromabase,gal of basemaker,gal of Dupont Nason clear and activator.Is this a good quality package and price?
72farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:19 AM   #2
britnjc

Re: Is Nason a good clear coat?

yes, nason is very good quality. Sounds like a pretty good deal about par for the course.
britnjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:06 AM   #3
GruntMoanCough

I've been using Nason products for about 6-7 years now and have no problems with it. Jobs I have done since I started using it look just as good as any other product I've used and seen. I have been using 497-00 clear, BTW.
I would suggest using Nason base rather than the Chromabase just for the cost reason. I use Chromabase for critical matches only, since you're going black there should not be a problem with matching the box. However the only thing I don't like about the Nason base is that it needs to be activated, so mixing amounts come into factor, whereas with Chromabase, if you have any leftover in the gun, you can just pour it back into the can (so may be more cost effective in that you wouldn't be wasting any base).
Old 06-17-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
robin58

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntMoanCough View Post
However the only thing I don't like about the Nason base is that it needs to be activated, so mixing amounts come into factor, whereas with Chromabase, if you have any leftover in the gun, you can just pour it back into the can (so may be more cost effective in that you wouldn't be wasting any base).
I was always told that in order to have Dupont warranty the material that you had to use the activator. In fact it states that in the Tech Sheet:

Quote:
Mix 1 part ChromaBase® to 1 part Basemaker®. ChromaBase® Basecoat should be activated with
ChromaPremier® 12305S™ Activator for optimum performance and for lifetime warranty.
But maybe more importantly, I've often seen people complain that when using it without the activator that if they had to go back and touch up a newly sprayed panel, that the paint would lift if not activated. You've obviously had experience with Chroma, you ever had issues like that?
robin58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
vintagesteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin58 View Post
I was always told that in order to have Dupont warranty the material that you had to use the activator. In fact it states that in the Tech Sheet:

But maybe more importantly, I've often seen people complain that when using it without the activator that if they had to go back and touch up a newly sprayed panel, that the paint would lift if not activated. You've obviously had experience with Chroma, you ever had issues like that?
I've used chroma base/premiere for 15-17 years. I have never had a problem with lifting. Actually chroma base is one of the most forgiving I've ever used. You only activate the chroma premiere, not the chroma base. And also DuPonts waranty covers Nason. You can mix and match duPont and nason products and its all covered. Also, Nason base coat actually flows BETTER if you reduce with DuPont base maker 1:1 and do not activate. Directly from a DuPont rep. That will save money by not having to buy activator.
vintagesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #6
vintagesteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesteel View Post
You can mix and match duPont and nason products and its all covered.
Let me add to this. Use the proper activator in the products. Nason activator in nason primer, nason in nason clearect.. You can mix product lines. nason primer,dupont base,nason clear. or dupont primer, nason base, duPont clear,ect.... you get the picture. DuPont waranty covers it all. I know a shop that uses nason primer, Standox paint(DuPont) and nason clear.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:22 AM   #7
GruntMoanCough

Thanks for answering for me vintagesteel, I was outta town today pickin' up more paint products , so couldn't reply.
I've never used Chroma Premiere, so wasn't aware that it requires activator. I was referring to Chromabase, robin58.

Quote:
Let me add to this. Use the proper activator in the products. Nason activator in nason primer, nason in nason clearect.. You can mix product lines. nason primer,dupont base,nason clear. or dupont primer, nason base, duPont clear,ect.... you get the picture. DuPont waranty covers it all. I know a shop that uses nason primer, Standox paint(DuPont) and nason clear.
Yes, I've done that myself, 'cause the color (Nissan Imperial Orange) I was using was only available in Standox by my supplier (nice stuff, BTW).
Old 06-18-2009, 01:29 AM   #8
GruntMoanCough

Quote:
Also, Nason base coat actually flows BETTER if you reduce with DuPont base maker 1:1 and do not activate. Directly from a DuPont rep. That will save money by not having to buy activator.
Interesting tip, I'll have to try that!
Old 06-18-2009, 08:47 AM   #9
vintagesteel

Quote:
Yes, I've done that myself, 'cause the color (Nissan Imperial Orange) I was using was only available in Standox by my supplier (nice stuff, BTW).
Standox is EXTREMELY nice stuff. It covers FAST. It is the european division. European paint covers faster(less coats). Sikkens, Spies Heckler, ect... They are also initially more expensive, but with using less coats, you use less paint(duh) and in the end the cost is comparable.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:27 AM   #10
robin58

Quote:
I've never used Chroma Premiere, so wasn't aware that it requires activator. I was referring to Chromabase, robin58.

So was I..... but I'll defer to others even if it flies in the face of dupont's published material (Page 1 Mix Ratio paragraph):

http://pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html/...romaBaseBC.pdf

Last edited by robin58; 06-18-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:01 AM   #11
vintagesteel

Quote:
So was I..... but I'll defer to others even if it flies in the face of dupont's published material (Page 1 Mix Ratio paragraph):

I FORGOT that it was an OPTION with chromabase. When you do this everyday, you tend to not have to look at the tech manual. And in a collision shop, "LIFETIME" means "until you wreck it again"

Last edited by vintagesteel; 06-18-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:05 AM   #12
vintagesteel

oh yeah, read on the can and it says "For Professional Use Only" so unless you have a good relationship with your supplier, or work for a shop, try getting ANY manufacturer to give you a waranty.

Last edited by vintagesteel; 06-18-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:26 AM   #13
robin58

Vintagesteel, I understand that and obviously it would be most likely be impossible for me to collect a warranty. But just to clarify I wasn't arguing or questioning your response. For most of us backyard painters, about the best thing we can do IS read the Tech Sheets and instructions. Unlike Pro's like yourself, we do this maybe once every few years. We don't have the ability to know what we're doing wrong. We're basically at the mercy of the person we buy our product from. Tips like you made above are what helps us go along and improve our skills. But until we get some of those tips, in general I'd say most of us rely on what's printed and tweak it if we find little pointers we learn from forums and Pro's helping us. To me as a backyard hobbyist, it's confusing enough trying to figure out all the ins and outs of paint products. Then when someone like DuPont sells a product meant not to be used with an activator but then adds that caveat in their Tech Sheet, it makes people like me even more confused.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #14
GruntMoanCough

Quote:

Well, son of a gun! Thanks for pointing that out. I've been using Chromabase for over 20 years and no one ever told me that. Geez, hope I don't start getting a bunch of comebacks.
Anyhow, I can understand where you're coming from with not painting everyday as opposed to doing it for a living. IMO, a quality painter not only lays down a good coat of paint but, knows how to deal with a problem when it arises.
Good luck!
Old 06-18-2009, 12:24 PM   #15
vintagesteel

Quote:
Well, son of a gun! Thanks for pointing that out. I've been using Chromabase for over 20 years and no one ever told me that. Geez, hope I don't start getting a bunch of comebacks.
I have NEVER had a rep tell me that either. After I looked at the link, then I remembered reading that. We/I have never had a problem with waranty. But I have dealt with these people for years. They know me well enough and I have so few problems that they know it had to something besides me.(not being arrogant!) It's just some people they deal with call them once a week with "paint issues" and it ALWAYS is "painter issues". I call MAYBE once in a year. And ONLY if I have called several other people FIRST and can't figure out the problem. I'm not one to cry wolf.
That's the problem with someone walking off the street and buying products. They will ALWAYS assume it is the customer. Unless it is something they have seen happening in shops too. Then they will waranty it. But usually they can tell just by talking to you(an experienced painter can do the same thing) and tell if you have done something wrong.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:34 PM   #16
vintagesteel

Quote:
Vintagesteel, I understand that and obviously it would be most likely be impossible for me to collect a warranty. But just to clarify I wasn't arguing or questioning your response. For most of us backyard painters, about the best thing we can do IS read the Tech Sheets and instructions. Unlike Pro's like yourself, we do this maybe once every few years. We don't have the ability to know what we're doing wrong. We're basically at the mercy of the person we buy our product from. Tips like you made above are what helps us go along and improve our skills. But until we get some of those tips, in general I'd say most of us rely on what's printed and tweak it if we find little pointers we learn from forums and Pro's helping us. To me as a backyard hobbyist, it's confusing enough trying to figure out all the ins and outs of paint products. Then when someone like DuPont sells a product meant not to be used with an activator but then adds that caveat in their Tech Sheet, it makes people like me even more confused.
this is what I HATE about computers! They are expresionless. I didn't think you were arguing. And like I said, I forgot about that being an option. Don't EVER be afraid to question someone. Nobody knows/remembers it all.
The activator will make a more durable product(according to DuPont) but I have seen/and shot Chromabase jobs that have lasted 15+ years with no activator. So I really don't know how they figure it's MORE durable. Me being a painter, would NOT activate it on my own project. I see no reason for the added expense.
Also, they write the tech sheets to cover their butts.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #17
greystoke

hey vintage...have you ever put some pics of your work on here. I'd love to see some. Did you paint the car in your avatar? That's a cool ride.
greystoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #18
vintagesteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by greystoke View Post
hey vintage...have you ever put some pics of your work on here. I'd love to see some. Did you paint the car in your avatar? That's a cool ride.
yeah I have, and no the avatar is a concept drawing I "borrowed". I have a 54 2dr post I'm trying to get started on(with no luck) and I though it was cool too.