The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2014, 10:41 AM   #1
Truck Guy99

911! Hub fell off and need help!

I'm bringing home a homemade trailer that I believe has 3/4 ton axles from a square body chevy. The hub completely fell off taking the wheel and tire with it. I have a spare axle for it that I can take the hub off of but can someone give me a list of tools or maybe a step by step? Oh, and is there anything special I need to replace it? I'll be on the side off the road to do this job because it was dark and I had to leave it so I can't afford to miss anything

Old 09-28-2014, 12:34 PM   #2
Old Truck Man

Re: 911! Hub fell off and need help!

3/4 ton rear ends have full floating rear axles. the axle has nothing to do with holding the hub to the rear end. the bearings & races hold the hub to the spindle. you can pack the rear bearings with grease just like you do the front ones. You have apparently ground off the bottom portion of the backing plate from dragging it. I would just remove it. so you will need the inner & outer bearings races and seal. be sure to properly adjust the bearings and lock the retainer securely between the two axle nuts.
Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote